LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

One screw up, but the beast roars.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:50 PM

One screw up, but the beast roars.

Ok, for the last three months my 94 has been in jackstand jail getting a new tranny, new suspension, and LT headers.
Tonite I finally got the last component in (the tranny) and fired it up, my stupid *** forgot to put the oil sending unit which I broke 3 months ago getting the tranny out, back in. Oil bath on firewall and driver side header.
I had a friend watching for leaks and we shut it down after about 5 seconds of running. Being the professional mechanic that I am I could not believe I forgot this.
Anyway, LT headers are not as loud as I thought they would be and remember if you break your oil sending unit removing the tranny be sure to reinstall one BEFORE you start the car again.
I am not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes.
On the bright side my car runs again.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:12 PM

Good deal What headers are you running?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:18 PM

Well since your in the KC suburbs, do you wanna come help me put my Jet Hots in?! I live in Warrensburg near Whiteman AFB.........I'll pay ya and hook ya up with some beer!!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:32 PM

I put on a set of Hooker Jet Hot Longtubes.
Transam41282, I would love to make a trip up there to help but you would have to get up early to try and get them installed in a day. It took me 3 or 4 hours a nite for a week to get my header install done, working by myself. Best case you need to set aside 2 days.
Header install is not fun but it could be worse.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by revtime
Header install is not fun but it could be worse.
That's putting it mildly

Fired mine up tonight too. ALMOST made a dumb mistake like you did...only mine would have been the oil filter! Luckily I happened to walk by where I had set it in a bucket and noticed it laying there!

Tomorrow morning it goes to the exhaust shop for 2.5" true duals into 3" dynomaxk bullets (hey, I already bought them...can't help that Jet-Hots design sucks and I had to come out of the header with 2.5")
Old 07-09-2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Timberwolf
That's putting it mildly

Fired mine up tonight too. ALMOST made a dumb mistake like you did...only mine would have been the oil filter! Luckily I happened to walk by where I had set it in a bucket and noticed it laying there!

Tomorrow morning it goes to the exhaust shop for 2.5" true duals into 3" dynomaxk bullets (hey, I already bought them...can't help that Jet-Hots design sucks and I had to come out of the header with 2.5")
Every car is different and some components fit perfectly in one car and in an identical car fit like crap. My Jet-Hots fit very very well but my Borla fit like complete **** and I will be selling it not too long from now and go with a Hooker system. Its hit or miss I guess.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 PM

Timberwolf, I now know the pain you feel. My tranny crossmember is in the way of my header muffler.
I think I am going to do some grinding though and see if I can make it work.
I don,t wanna go bending on the header with a crow bar as some have suggested, that can,t be good for the header pipes or flanges. If all else fails I will break down and take it to the muffler shop and have em install true dual setup.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:58 PM

Well hey if you serious, I'll keep you mind once I get my Y-pipe....I just ordered the new Hooker Y-Pipe from LS1Speed. They say it comes to them the end of the week, but Summit has it for $40 cheaper and dont get em til 8/12. So I tried the price match.