LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

One Happy Pacesetter Customer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 09:43 PM

Cool One Happy Pacesetter Customer!!!

Well guys, I finally got the Ceramic LT's thrown on there.

I heard the power/torque was good, but when I shifted in to 2nd, the rear end would hop a little, but now, it damn near throws the rear end off the entrance ramp.

THE DIFFERENCE IS AMAZING!!

Lastly,
I heard sound clips on the net and was impressed, but NOTHING prepared me for that first start-up to check for exhaust leaks. WOW!!

The Y-pipe was a true PITA but, nothing a little engineering and tack welding couldn't solve.

Well worth the time and money...wish I had gotten around to it sooner.

TIME TOTAL: 11.5 hours
MONEY: $660 (headers, y-pipe, o2's, gaskets, bolts...)

Worth every penny and every friggin cut on my hands!!

Thanks to everyone who offered their help with me
Old 03-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Re: One Happy Pacesetter Customer!!!

right there with you dude on my 95z w/ pacesetter lt's and ORY. i just installed mine after 30 hours (don't laugh) by myself with no lift. i still have to install the alternator and loudmouth catback. after that, it will be the first offical start-up. i'm anxious thinking of it. i ran out of daylight today so it may be next friday before i get back on it. did yours smoke bad at first?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:55 PM

I'm hoping to get my pacesetter LT's installed this weekend if I actually receive them this week. Also hope it doesnt take me as long as it does for you guys.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:56 PM

I did it in about 8 hours. My Dad gave me a hand for about the last 2-3 of it though. Actually fishing the headers up in and getting them bolted up. Starting the first bolt was the biggest problem I had. That and getting the god damn Y-Pipe on. However I drove it with open headers for a week or two. So actually it probly took me about 9 hours, plus the 2 or 3 he helped so figure 11 hours total ? It took me a saturday. And it sounded awesome.

Drive it with open headers some time. everyone looks. They probly expect to see a lifted whooped out 70's chevy pick up ...

Last edited by HardcoreRM125; 03-26-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:09 PM

My headers are taking me forever to do. Started last saturday and still doing them. I am only able to work on my car 2 or 3 hours a day. And I am doing the motor mounts as well, with the lack of tools it is a real pain. But I can just see the day somtime in the near future starting it up and heading to the track
Old 03-26-2006, 11:26 PM

Well, I work at a car shop inbetween firefighting and college (mechanical engineering) . I have four open pits. They were awesome to just stand underneath.

Oh yeah, it was nice having a die grinder, tons of free tools, free use of the machine shop, and everything else. My girlfriend helped by ordering a pizza and giving me dirty looks???

OH YEAH, I FORGOT!! When I mean a bunch of new power, I mean like the rear end use to do a LITTLE dance when going from 1st-2nd gear when I shifted hard....now, it damn near throws me off the entrance ramps. Me likey...and all of that is WITHOUT the nitrous.

Last edited by johnny3986; 03-26-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

you know... I never could tell the difference between my cars sound with shoty or Long tube headers... overall it was always just plain loud, but the worst sound was Stock Manifolds, and and no muffler attatched... talk about drone.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by robwin95z
did yours smoke bad at first?
That's just the grease and everything you've gotten on the headers burning off where you've been handling them.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:41 AM

Ditto on that smoke....

Yeah, mine smoked HELLA bad at first, but no puff-puffin' or the dreaded "ticcing" indicating a leak.

I ended up ditching the 12-pt ARP bolts and used the 6pt ones Pacesetter sent with me. They worked better.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by johnny3986
I ended up ditching the 12-pt ARP bolts and used the 6pt ones Pacesetter sent with me. They worked better.

Why do you say they are better? Also, did y'all bolt up the lower alternator bracket that bolts to the front header bolt after the LT install? Do y'all think the alternator would be fine with just 3 brackets instead of 4?

I started my header install/tuneup last Tuesday. Saturday I still wasn't finished for a few stupid reasons. Lost both O2 sensor extendors, so I"m ordering new ones today. 40 bucks down the drain, I was pissed. I can't find the stupid M22-1.5 bolts to plug the AIR on the headers anywhere. People are telling me Home Depot, but I went by there yesterday and they said they didn't have them. Guess I"ll look on my own... I guess besides that I'm done. Gotta bolt up my electric H2O pump and put the radiator back in and bolt up the crank balancer, but the hardest part of all that is finding a 12 volt / no more than 15 amp source that only turns on with the ignition under the fusebox.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:12 AM

I've used the pacesetter bolts in a couple of places too. They thread easier and have a nice big head to hold on to.

Regarding the alternator brackets, you don't need all those others, I'm only running the lower one (long bolt through the acc bracket) and the top one (short bolt through the alt bracket)
Old 03-27-2006, 09:54 AM

any audio clips from ur installs? i got a set coming aswell in the mail and im dieng to here how they sound.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 PM

i used the supplied pacesetter header bolts. i also added some lockwashers to them. they went in fine once i found the damn threads on the heads. i did lose one tho by dropping in the engine bay somewhere. so i went to "slowreilly" and bought a new pac of mr gasket brand bolts. now i have plenty in case i lose more.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:08 PM

SentimentalValue ~ Its fine with 3 instead of 4.

And the plug for the headers is either 1/2" or 5/8" pipe thread. Thats what I used as a coupler to adapt from the origional AIR fitting to the header. A 1/2X5/8 flare coupler or a 1/2flareX5/8 pipe thread. I forget? They were probably the biggest pain in the *** to hook up on my header install. I couldnt bend the AIR line down right to get the threads started and it started getting really frustrating. I got mine at home depot in the plumping section...
Old 03-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Yeah, I at first had a set of ARPs, but ended up swapping them for the 1" bolts Pacesetter supplied. They work fine but I plan to upgrade to Breslins this summer.

Quick Reply: One Happy Pacesetter Customer!!!