LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

OMG! Knocking noise... PLEASE tell me its the transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:49 PM

OMG! Knocking noise... PLEASE tell me its the transmission!

Well.. some old timer asked me to smoke em so i did a little sideways action for him. Didnt even hit 5k. Then i noticed a loud knocking/ticking noise. Right away i thought t/o or pilot bearing. Popped the hood and noticed my driver side rockers sounded louder then normal. Checked oil and it was a bit low. Added 1 1/2 quarts and started it. Sounds a bit better (imo) but might be the same.

It does not do it at idle. Only reving a little and comming down from the rev. It is not comming from under the valve covers either. Sounds more like the back of the motor. Clutch in or out does not make a difference either. Its like a *tick*tick*tick* several times. My clutch is crappy and im sure my t/o and pilot bearing are crap too. Please tell me it's probably that and not a spun bearing.

*cry* =(
Old 03-04-2006, 06:01 PM

Re: OMG! Knocking noise... PLEASE tell me its the transmission!

Have you seen any decrease in oil pressure since the knocking started. It won't be a lot of difference if it's a stacked rod bearing, but it will be no difference if it's a clutch issue. Try crawling under there with a long screwdriver and hold it against your ear on one end and touch the other end to the bellhousing and then to the block. That may help you find the general area of the knock source.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Okay, i will try that now. I took it for a ride and im thinking its a spun bearing. RPM and oil pressure seem to drop quicker. It kinda sounds like something metal bobbling around. Like a sack of marbles kinda. Err, i dont know.. ill go check under it and post back.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:52 PM

how many miles ago did you swap in that cam?
Old 03-04-2006, 07:34 PM

Well, i went under it and i couldint hear anything really. Its loud inside the car but not as pronounced on the outside. If anything it sounds like it is comming from the harmonic balancer. Im going to wait until the car is completly cold to see if i get the same startup oil psi.

About 15k miles ago i did the cam swap. What does a spun bearing sound like? Ive heard the rod knock clip and it dosint sound like that really.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 PM

Gosh, i just watched the rod knock video again and it sounds like that ticking noise. Its not like that outside the car but inside it kinda sounds like that. Its not really constant though. Could this be a "mild" rod knock/spun bearing?
Old 03-04-2006, 07:43 PM

i think you ssmoked your engine...same exact thing happend to my friends engine..and it was a rod knock....it could also be a collapsed lifter..now that I think about it...my friends 96 WS6 had one..and it would tick when coming down from revs..and it was louder on one side.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:44 PM

The balancer is a two piece assembly with a rubber damper insert sandwiched between the two pieces. Be sure that rubber insert is in place and healthy looking {none of it hanging out anywhere}. Also be sure the outer ring is not cracked somewhere. Have you had a problem with motor vibrations lately or now?
If that is making the noise then it's your lucky day.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Well I'll tell you.... it's not the transmission.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
Well I'll tell you.... it's not the transmission.
I've heard loose converter bolts sound real similar to that of a stacked / spun rod bearing but your probably right seeing as how there is no transmission near the harmonic balancer area.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:44 PM

start it cold see if it gets better or worse with temp. like stated above it could just be a bad lifter.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:27 AM

Well.. i took it out tonite and now im thinking its the trans. It does not do it all the time. More so then none but its more when im downshifting and the RPM's are dropping. When im getting on it (kinda) it dosint seem to do it.. only when it is comming down. Is there any way i broke a spring on the PP and its causeing a rattleing noise or something?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:38 AM

sounds like what happend to my friends when he collapsed a lifter..it makes a weird soft knocking noise
Old 03-05-2006, 02:17 AM

Thought of maybe the possibilty of a loose hanger holding up your exhaust pipe? Worth a try.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:34 AM

I agree, sounds like a collapsed lifter. Thats when mine does it is when you give it a little throtle and when its comming down. It wont do it when your hammerin on it cause the lifters are hydraulic, when oil pressure goes up, they get fed with oil and it pumps the collapsed one up. Mines been doing that for two years and its still runnin great. As a matter of fact it ran its best time like that. Just check your oil filter (cut it apart with a pair of tin snips, when its off the car of course) and check it for metal, and keep an eye on your oil pressure. If it was a bering youd lose oil pressure. Hope this helps, Prorac1

Quick Reply: OMG! Knocking noise... PLEASE tell me its the transmission!