LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil pump drive gear plastic broken.. and wear pattern. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by LT4Camaro
Hahah my car has gone thru 5 of these gears this year ....

If you have a high volume pump get rid of it.

And everytime i check it, the plastics ALWAYS cracked, they really are the wweakest part of this engine.
I plan to get rid of the HV pump when I put in a K-member hopefully later this year.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
13 ft/lbs is pretty darn loose already IMO... and that's the spec.
Whose the one with the cracked oil pump drive then? It doesn't need to be squished, it just needs to not come out.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Whose the one with the cracked oil pump drive then? It doesn't need to be squished, it just needs to not come out.
My point is... 13 ft/lbs isn't alot...

If you're not torquing it down you have no idea how much torque you're putting down on it compared to me...

For all we know you could be tightening it down more, just lucky it hasn't cracked?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:03 PM

When I pulled the intake a couple of days ago I checked the oil pump drive
and the bolt was loose. The car only has about 5k miles since I torqued the
bolt to 13 ft-lbs. My plastic was not broken though. I just cleaned the bolt
and the hole really good with acetone, used some blue thread locker on the
bolt and torqued it back to 13 ft-lbs.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
My point is... 13 ft/lbs isn't alot...

If you're not torquing it down you have no idea how much torque you're putting down on it compared to me...

For all we know you could be tightening it down more, just lucky it hasn't cracked?
I know it's not a lot, and maybe that isn't the real problem that's cracking the POS. But I still say you don't need to torque it very tight. Just clean the hole with acetone like the other guy said and put some locktite in there and snug the bolt down and believe me, it works. I can make one of those metal retainers in the machine shop at work if I want, but I've never needed to. It's a bad design, no doubt about it - I won't argue that point.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Banned

I used my sdtock one before.....I never tqed it. I cranked down on it and it never broke. I still have it.

Probly a shaft or something binding up, I would ditch that thing asap. Its just trouble. The high volume pump will kill it
Old 01-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Hmmm

I'm looking my old one here and I could probably build an aluminum version without too much hassle.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 PM

Can someone send me pix/links to the MORE unit?
we might could possibly make either the cap or a whole unit, got a guy looking at it now...
Old 01-12-2008, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Can someone send me pix/links to the MORE unit?
we might could possibly make either the cap or a whole unit, got a guy looking at it now...
Years ago, I recall talking with Mike at the MORE shop when I was buying parts and getting advice on a rebuild. I worked with him on several projects. He said he saw a number of those phenolic pump drive components fail and toast an engine. That was enough to convince me I needed one of his little billet 'covers'. He handed me one and didn't even charge me for it. I don't think it cost him much to have them made as it is a very simple design. I wish I had a pic of it.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by mdacton
I used my sdtock one before.....I never tqed it. I cranked down on it and it never broke. I still have it.

Probly a shaft or something binding up, I would ditch that thing asap. Its just trouble. The high volume pump will kill it
Ditch what?

Dunno why it would be binding.. ARP shaft, standard Melling pump.. pretty common stuff.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Damn, this isn't rocket science! If you want to support the plastic stub housing, just cut a little piece of metal to fit over it, screw it down with some threadlocker (try not to smash it), and call it a day. Otherwise, go out and machine an aluminum distributor shaft housing for it or something.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

Damn, this isn't rocket science! If you want to support the plastic stub housing, just cut a little piece of metal to fit over it, screw it down with some threadlocker (try not to smash it), and call it a day. Otherwise, go out and machine an aluminum distributor shaft housing for it or something.
Well if it was NOT rocket science, the piece you want to put OVER the top will only stop it from jumping out of the hole AFTER it breaks. We are trying to support it on the sides so it wont break in the first place.

David
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Well if it was NOT rocket science, the piece you want to put OVER the top will only stop it from jumping out of the hole AFTER it breaks. We are trying to support it on the sides so it wont break in the first place.

David
Right david - you want me to make you one???
Old 01-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdenz3
Hmmm

I'm looking my old one here and I could probably build an aluminum version without too much hassle.
A while back I had thought of making a box full and selling them.
It would become a regular maintenance item like a timing chain on a rebuild.
If ya stop it from jumping out(if it breaks) with a plate on top then it could spin and not turn the pump right and wear and get cocked and wear the gear quickly.
Cracking at the bolt hole is the easiest place for it to break. It will find the next weakest point on the little arm after that if it has enough load and spin anyway. If the arm breaks at the housing it could go down???? and spin anyway. Again I don't know how much load it will take to mess it completely up,does any body?
Just better not to take the chance on a $10,000+ engine. Many do- not thinking about it and say it's the pump or something else that broke it, after they toast an engine.
The damn thing is plastic,guys.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:38 PM

You sound really upset about this thread?

This a valid concern I'd rather not guess at fixing.. it's not like you pull the intake every oil change to check. Granted it's easy enough to do but still.

Quick Reply: Oil pump drive gear plastic broken.. and wear pattern. Opinions?