LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

oil leak but I have narrowed down the possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 09:27 PM

oil leak but I have narrowed down the possibilities

Ok so a few weeks ago I changed the water pump since that time I have had a good oil leak going. I got under the car twice and wiped it all down the best I can tell it is from somewhere behind the water pump. each time I cleaned it I could see drips soon after coming from behind the back of the pump and dripping down the bottom hitting the balancer and spraying everywhere. is it the timing cover gasket or is there a seal where the driveshaft for the waterpump connects? also there is some sort of a pulley attached to the passengers side of the balancer. I noticed when the car was running that it was shifting. It would move like 1/8th of an inch. anyone know what that is?

Thanks for your input.

Ed
Old 02-13-2003, 09:29 PM

There's a waterpump driveshaft seal o-ring that sits behind the drive coupler. If it's torn or missing, there's a good chance you'll end up leaking some oil from behind the timing cover. Check to make sure the timing gasket is in good shape too, especially where it meets the oil pan.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:07 AM

I just went through the same deal when I did my w/p opti swap....it turned out to be the seal to the water pump...the one on the out side if the timing cover it some how got turned inside out and was leaking oil like you wouldn't believe....But I changed the seal and the problem went away.....if you go and do all this I would go ahead and go to your local parts staore and get the timing cover set...if you are sure it isn't the timing cover itself.....at least change the seals on the timing cover....the 3 on the front of the timing cover.....while you are there....thats if you are sure that it isn't the timing cover....if you didn't have the problem before the w/p install....and you didn't remove the timing cover....it has to be one of the seals on the front of the timing cover....IMO
Old 02-14-2003, 09:28 AM

So if I go to the parts store and get a whole front cover set of gaskets that should include everything I need right? Also do the o rings in the pump driveshaft actually hold oil in or are they more to keep dust out?
Old 02-14-2003, 01:44 PM

You are leaking from the WP seal in the timing cover. I wouldn't worry about replacing the other seals if they are not leaking, as the WP seal is the one most likely to leak anyway. It is the size of a half dollar and will rip if you try and put it on. There is a trick. The shaft that goes over the gear coming out of the timing cover is the same size as the drive gear itself. Take the shaft and sand down a bit and slip the new seal over the sanded down shaft end. It will be a tight fit. Once on, place the shaft back on the gear to help line up and hold the seal in place. Get a deep socket and place over the shaft and tap the seal in with the deep socket. Should slide right in and no more leaks. Good luck,

Kyle
Old 02-14-2003, 05:11 PM

ok see now im understanding. its a seal like on the crank metal outside and rubber insert. Right!?? also is this something I can do on the car or will I need to pull the timing cover off????
Old 02-14-2003, 05:22 PM

I just replaced mine about 2 weeks ago. I had another person install a cam, heads, etc. After picking it up, there was a leak. Since he was way in Witchita Falls, it was easier for me to fix. You can leave the timing cover on. Just pull your water pump and drop your Opti. Use the method above and you should have no problems. If you need any help or advice when you start getting into it, email or PM me,

Kyle
Old 02-14-2003, 06:29 PM

I had a small leak from that area as well, so i checked and noticed that the bolts to the timing cover were loose so i tightened them up and, no more leaks.