Oil Leak - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Chimera96
  • 1 Post By Chimera96

Old 05-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #1

Oil Leak

Hey Guys,

I just had my transmission rebuilt so while I had the engine dropped out of the car I figured I would change some of the problematic seals, which probably were leaking before as I noticed some oil residue on the transmission cover plate (black piece between oil pan and transmission)

I had the engine on a stand and replaced the oil pan gasket with a felpro gasket. I put a little bit of silicone on the corners of the block where the gasket meets the front of the crank and the rear of the crank seal. I then replaced the rear main seal with the Teflon felpro seal. I installed it using the provided plastic installer piece and lightly tapped the gasket into place with a 4" piece of abs.

I got the drivetrain back in place and took it for a drive. I parked the car a noticed a roughly 12" by 12" fresh oil stain on my concrete. I jacked the car up and noticed oil dripping down the oil filter from what looks like the corn of the oil pan gasket or rear main seal. and I noticed a large amount on the starter.

I really don't feel like dropping the engine again to change the rear main seal. I was thinking about just redoing the oil pan gasket on the car and see if that fixes it. I am so frusterated to see the oil leak worse then it was before!

An added note. I put the oil pan gasket on, then installed the rear main seal. I noticed I forgot to put the rear main seal gasket behind the metal piece so I had to remove the oil pan and put the seal in. Is it possible that the silicone set up prior to removing it and now there isn't a seal on the oil pan? or would it seal up again without a problem. I realize this was a dumb mistake on my behalf and I should have just redone the oil pan gasket right then and there.

Any help, ideas where to look would be greatly appreciated! Not sure if there is a "dye" of some sort to help identify the leak?

Thanks,
Greg
Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

Re: Oil Leak

You can buy a engine oil dye kit. Comes with a blacklight and the dye shows up neon green under the blacklight.

removing pan gasket after rtv then replacing it can be done "if" you first clean off the old RTV and then apply new. I always run the bead along the whole curved front & back and up to about 1" onto where the block flattens out. Infinitely easier to do pan gasket on engine stand vs with engine in car but it can be done

The rubber pan gaskets are re-useable if you don't tear them and clean off any old rtv

Confirm the inner sleeve of the old pan gasket on the rear did not stay on that stud. It would give a gap when you put the new gasket over it and leak

clean area where it leaks and do a dye test to pinpoint source. RMS is doubtful since you put a new one in

Confirm its not the oil filter adapter gasket leaking...if its on the DS rear of the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Leak-clutch-inst-2-pilot.jpg  
Injuneer and JakeRobb like this.
Chimera96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #3

Wow thanks a lot!

Can you explain what you mean by the inner sleeve on the old pan gasket stayed on the stud? Like just the little bit of rubber so the gasket can sit tight to the block? I'm assuming that's what you mean!?

I'll look into getting that dye and go from there!

Also the RTV goes between the block and the gasket or between the gasket and the pan?

Thanks so much!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #4

Also any ideas where to get the oil leak detector kit? I see some on fleabay but prices are all over the place!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg88 View Post
Wow thanks a lot!

Can you explain what you mean by the inner sleeve on the old pan gasket stayed on the stud? Like just the little bit of rubber so the gasket can sit tight to the block? I'm assuming that's what you mean!?

I'll look into getting that dye and go from there!

Also the RTV goes between the block and the gasket or between the gasket and the pan?

Thanks so much!
The pan gasket has metal eyelets for each hole. "sometimes" the inner metal sleeve of that eyelet can stay on the rear stud that goes through that corner so when you put on the pan gasket it does not sit flush.

RTV goes between gasket & pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg88 View Post
Also any ideas where to get the oil leak detector kit? I see some on fleabay but prices are all over the place!
I bought mine at Harbor Freight. I would assume a automotive supply or chain auto part store would have them in Canada. I just googled "engine oil dye kit"...and several came up. You can buy just the dye and some UV glasses and black light flash light

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

Ok thanks! Well I put the RTV directly on the corners of the block. Maybe that's my problem? It's between the block and gasket.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Given dropping the pan with motor in the car is a tedious job....I would confirm first the source of oil leak

I have never put RTV between gasket & block, just gasket and pan

The FelPro gasket comes with 4 plastic studs you insert in the 4 corners of block to hold the gasket in place. Putting the gasket on with motor on engine stand you would not need them but they are very helpful if doing the gasket with motor in car. I put the RTV on the pan and then put the pan over the gasket (when doing it with engine in car). Use the pan bolts to hold on pan then unscrew the 4 plastic studs and use the 4 remaining corner pan bolts. Also rotate motor to #6 TDC as that positions the rods higher to allow more clearance to pull pan out.

Have only done pan gasket replace on LT1 in a B-body which required lifting front of motor up about 4 inches to get pan out. IDK about F-body but assume front frame brace is right under oil pan so some raising of motor would be needed if that is the case.
JakeRobb likes this.