LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

nov-vented opti to vented opti swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 11:25 PM

nov-vented opti to vented opti swap

I am switching my 94 camaro to a vented opti setup, Just wanted to know if anybody else has done this and if so, if you have any tips or tricks or things to watch out for. I ordered everything I needed from Jason Crommer so I think I have everything I need -the dowel pin for the cam drive. I was told it is supposed to protrude .620 from the cam, correct?

I also had a question about the crank hub, It isnt keyed so I assume that it is neutrally balanced and can go back on anywhere??? Or is there some marks on it that have to be aligned???

I also have a question on the vent tube of the opti, Where is it supposed to go? do you just run a vacuum line out to the bottom of the car to drain, or what????

Thanks for any help,

-Nick
Old 06-14-2003, 11:54 PM

Don't know about the cam protrusion part, but...

As far as the hub goes, it is normally neutrally balanced, unless you have some weights in the pulley that bolts to the hub. For instance, there's little holes all the way around the pulley evenly spaced towards the outside of the pulley. If any of those holes has anything in it (a weight), then it has been specifically weighted to balance the hub and pulley out. Then you need to have the hub and pulley back on in the same spot on the crankshaft as originally put on. If you lost the way that it goes on, don't worry too much. All you have to do is find top dead center on the #1 cylinder and then have the cast mark on the hub in the 12:00 position on the crankshaft. The pulley that goes on the hub will also have a cast arrow on it--that will go to the 12:00 position as well.

As for the optispark tube vents lines... One line (the one without all the inline check valves) goes to the intake elbow. This is the line that should already have a 3/16" vacuum elbow on it. Just drill a 1/8" hole in the intake elbow and press the fitting into it. The other line has to go to one of the vacuum ports on the intake. On my setup, I used a 3/16" vacuum T fitting at the small port next to where the PCV valve goes into the intake. I took a small piece of 3/16" vacuum tubing to go from the intake manifold port to the 3/16" T fitting, then put the optispark vacuum line in one side and the other pre-exisiting vacuum line in the other side of the T fitting. Another option that you could do is get a fitting to put into the intake port that is plugged and not being used behind the water pump. There's a plug on it for the 94's. You can get a fitting for that size of hole to a 3/16" barb fitting (should be able to find that at a hardware store). Then you can hook up the vacuum line for the optispark to that. That intake vacuum line is used on the 95-97 for the PCV valve, and then the PCV valve fitting that was used on the 94's was used for the optispark vacuum system on 95-97.

You definately don't want to just run the line out the bottom of the car to drain. Then you will basically have the same situation as you did with the nonvented optispark system you used to have.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:10 AM

cool, I didnt know that there were two vents. That makes more sense to me. I deffinately dont want to have the same problem I had before, That is why I am doing all the work to change.

As far as the hub, are you talking about the casting piece that looks kinda like an arrow? I know that there are three holes drilled on one side of the hub and when I pulled it off I thought it was keyed so I payed no attention to its orientation. I will get all of the parts monday so I can put it back together.

Thanks for the input. Anything else I should look for?

-Nick
Old 06-15-2003, 08:49 AM

The hub has a mark or line cast on it that is in the same spot as the arrow would be on the pulley. Even if you don't need it for balance, I would put the hub on oriented correctly for ease of maintenance later. Just make a mark on the front of the crank snout that matches where the dot on the crank gear is. That can be your 12 o'clock reference.

See this thread for some pics of the opti vent connections:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=133211