LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New intake manifold gasket while I'm doing headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 PM

New intake manifold gasket while I'm doing headers?

I have several other projects i plan on doing while I am doing my header install (motor mounts, among a few other things). I was wondering if you guys think I should go ahead and pull the intake manifold while I was messing around in there and change the gasket (seem to recall them failing occasionally)? I am pretty sure its the original gasket on 100k motor. I put a pair of chrome valve covers on a while back and the gaskets were in pretty bad shape so I swapped those. This would also make it much easier to make a block off plate for the EGR as well. I could put it on while the manifold was out.

Or would this all be too much trouble for any real benefit.

Thanks for the imput.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:22 AM

I wouldn't take it off unless you had an oil leak. I've never heard or read of intake manifold gaskets failing. Taking the EGR off really isn't all too difficult with the intake still on the engine. If you don't have a leak then I would just take a torque wrench and make a pass around the intake bolts in sequence to make sure they're all torqued to 35ftlbs.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 AM

Actually, it's pretty common for LT1 intakes to leak oil at the rear of the manifold - there is a liquid sealant used there rather than an actual gasket.
Personally, I'd get the exhaust-related mods done first, then worry about other things such as the intake which are not directly related to the process. Looking back to when I did headers, I sure wasn't thinking about doing any additional work once I got about an hour into THAT job...

Google search showing much info on LT1 intake leaks

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I wouldn't take it off unless you had an oil leak. I've never heard or read of intake manifold gaskets failing. Taking the EGR off really isn't all too difficult with the intake still on the engine. If you don't have a leak then I would just take a torque wrench and make a pass around the intake bolts in sequence to make sure they're all torqued to 35ftlbs.

Last edited by evilundisguised; 01-26-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by evilundisguised
Actually, it's pretty common for LT1 intake gaskets to leak oil at the rear of the manifold - there is a liquid sealant used there rather than an actual gasket.
Personally, I'd get the exhaust-related mods done first, then worry about other things such as the intake which are not directly related to the process. Looking back to when I did headers, I sure wasn't thinking about doing any additional work once I got about an hour into THAT job...

link to intake repair procedure
That's not what SS RRR was saying.

Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ain't leakin', leave it alone. It ain't any easier to do it now then it would be later.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM

Actually, it's pretty common for LT1 intake gaskets to leak oil at the rear of the manifold - there is a liquid sealant used there rather than an actual gasket.

The intake gaskets don't leak at the rear of the intake manifold. When LT1s leak at the back of the intake manifold, it's the RTV seal that's leaking, not the gasket itself.

If the intake manifold isn't leaking, I wouldn't pull it off as the gaskets themselves very rarely fail, and if the RTV seal isn't leaking, there's nothing to gain or prevent by redoing the seal.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
That's not what SS RRR was saying.

Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ain't leakin', leave it alone. It ain't any easier to do it now then it would be later.
Yes, and that's what I was saying also... I didn't suggest in any way that he should do it now.

And if it ain't broke, there's always the possibility that it can break. I assumed Jared 3870 may have been interested in doing some preventive maintenance - the common intake leak would be on my list of preventive maintenance items...
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Personally, I wouldn't take it off. If you are looking for an easier way to install blockoff plates, they do sell them premade for about twenty bucks. Just buying a set and installing them would be alot easier then pulling the manifold and fabbing up your own.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:09 PM

For the love of all things holy, don't EVER link that piece of **** website to this forum ever again.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the advice, I still plan on making my own block off plates, I was just saying that SHOULD I remove it, it would much easier to do. I'm not buying what I can make. Probably wont do it now, just check back there for leaks while I'm taking everything apart.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 AM

Sorry, it was Google's first hit...
I actually just skimmed it; is there anything technically wrong, or is it just the fact that it's a geocities site and visually assaulting...?

Originally Posted by SS RRR
For the love of all things holy, don't EVER link that piece of **** website to this forum ever again.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:48 AM

Sorry, it was Google's first hit...
I actually just skimmed it; is there anything technically wrong, or is it just the fact that it's a geocities site and visually assaulting...?
There's some pretty bad advice in there... especially such as "scoring the block"

Absolutely unnecessary.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:23 AM

That'll teach me to post random links...
*fixing link*

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
There's some pretty bad advice in there... especially such as "scoring the block"

Absolutely unnecessary.