LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Clutch Installed. SES now flashes and Falls on Face...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 PM

New Clutch Installed. SES now flashes and Falls on Face...

Picked up my car from the shop today. Within 10 minutes of driving it home my SES light was flashing.

Didn't do this b/f the shop got her for the clutch install, but does that mean it's their doing? Or could it just be a coincidence?

Car didn't feel like it was "all there" when I stepped on it after the light started flashing.

Clutch feels fine. Car shifts fine.

Pretty good deal of vibration coming through M6 stick, though. (Engine appears to be vibrating more than usual as well)

Exhuast sounds weird and "bloated" and "gurgled" for lack of a better description.

Took it to an auto place and had code read:

"P0300
Random/Multiple
Cylinder
Misfire Detected

DTC Pending (Codes)

No Faults Detected"

Now I also hear a hissing sound coming from the driver's side engine area (like air is leaking out somewhere, but I can't find the source.

A) Can this problem be related to the clutch install (ie something the shop did)?

B) What's the most likely diagnosis of these codes?

Thanks all for any help you can offer. I just want her running right again. Really got me down to have just picked her up and start with the problems almost immediately.

-John

Last edited by Johnny I; 08-10-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 PM

Re: New Clutch Installed. SES now flashes and Falls on Face...

More than likely a plug wire is disconnected somewhere.Go thru them all and push them all the way on.May need new wires? The air hissing...maybe an exhaust leak...just have to feel around and find it.Prolly both the shops fault,I am guessing.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 PM

Seriously? I just didn't think a clutch install would have this kind of affect.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 PM

P0300 Random Multipule Cylinder Misfire = more than one cylinder missing. This will be due to either a faulty plug or burnt/disconnected wire.

When you first start the vehicle, the SES light shouldn't flash. This is when it tells you exactly which cylinder(s) is/are missing. The codes will be P0301-P0308, with each number representing an individual cylinder. P0301=Cylinder 1; P0302=Cylinder 2, and so on.

P0300 doesn't come into effect until the vehicle begins it's journey down the road. The ECM then starts flashing the SES light, telling you more than one cylinder is misfiring. Take it back to the shop, or buy a cheap OBDII scanner from your local auto parts store and get the code when the engine is first started while cold.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 PM

You have to take into account that the shop has alot of things to work around in a very limited space, unless they dropped the whole carriage assembly. I would assume they knocked a plug wire loose and maybe even the AIR tubes (if equipped) were moved to give more room. I would check the plugs and wires before getting snippy with the mechanic.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by EuroticCustoms
Take it back to the shop, or buy a cheap OBDII scanner from your local auto parts store and get the code when the engine is first started while cold.
Sorry, I meant take it back to the shop you had pull the codes, and have them test it on a cold, initial start-up and tell you which cylinders were misfiring.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:40 PM

A shop wouldn't drop the carriage assembly or have any reason whatsoever to mess with the plug wires. Installing a clutch is a 1 hour job...2 at the most. The only major things required are pulling the driveshaft and dropping the tranny crossmember enough to get to the top bellhousing bolts.

Last edited by EuroticCustoms; 08-10-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 PM

Well, how long it should take and how long it does take are two separate things. As we all know, not all shops have the "skill" that is required for a proper mechanic. I have seen the results of a "qualified" technician replacing a clutch and forgetting to remove the shifter before dropping the trans and then prying the trans out of the car. Needless to say, he bought a new console, boot, and shifter ****.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 PM

Very true. I've met my fair share of "qualified" mechanics I wouldn't let touch my car. Actually, where I'm from, I've yet to meet anybody at all who'd I'd let touch my car. shoebox or injuneer would be a different story, but.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 PM

Just my 2 cents... when I put my new opti in... I had the same code... and same symptoms.... 8 plugs later and a trash can full of seriously BLACK plugs... and she was running smooth again.... They probably didnt get near it , but check the wire from the coil to the opti as well, and keep your fingers crossed the opti didnt take a $hit!!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 PM

Yes, light flashes as I'm driving, then goes solid for a couple...then flashes, etc, etc.

I've had recent issues with the wires/plugs being lose. GM dealer tightened everything up not a month ago... :/
Old 08-11-2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny I
Yes, light flashes as I'm driving, then goes solid for a couple...then flashes, etc, etc.

I've had recent issues with the wires/plugs being lose. GM dealer tightened everything up not a month ago... :/
I don't see a set of headers in your sig. The plugs/wires are a real pain in the butt to get to if you have stock manifolds. Either take it back to the dealer to have them checked again, or take it to the shop that pulled the P0300 for you and leave for a while...long enough for the engine to completely cool down.

Tell them to scan the computer after FIRST starting the engine without moving the vehicle, because once the vehicle is in motion, the P0300 takes over and clears out the individual cylinder codes.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:21 AM

**Problem Solved**

Turns out I had a loose #7 wire and a burned-through PCV hose. Got 'em taken care of and she's running great! (knock on wood...)

Love this board, guys. Thanks for the replies and help. Always nice to know somebody's out there willing to attempt to help out.

Cheers,

-John