LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need some help, SES Light, no cooling fans on at all

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 03:16 PM

Need some help, SES Light, no cooling fans on at all

Today I was driving, and I got a SES light, got home and noticed when my key is in the "on" position my cooling fans no longer come on, nor do they come on at all, even with the AC on. What do you think it could be, I cant get it scanned today, and its a 94 so autozone cant scan it. Any help would be appreciated, its like 98 outside and there is no way in gonna drive without fans.....I also noticed my thermostat needle going crazy, it would pin down at 160 when the car was warm, then pop back up, and sometimes fluxuate???

I also noticed some missing in the upper rpms, but I attribute that to the engine running hot, my car sometimes misses when its hot.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:05 PM

Re: Need some help, SES Light, no cooling fans on at all

Originally Posted by LT1Firehawk
Today I was driving, and I got a SES light, got home and noticed when my key is in the "on" position my cooling fans no longer come on, nor do they come on at all, even with the AC on. What do you think it could be, I cant get it scanned today, and its a 94 so autozone cant scan it. Any help would be appreciated, its like 98 outside and there is no way in gonna drive without fans.....I also noticed my thermostat needle going crazy, it would pin down at 160 when the car was warm, then pop back up, and sometimes fluxuate???

I also noticed some missing in the upper rpms, but I attribute that to the engine running hot, my car sometimes misses when its hot.

sounds to me like you may have some air in your cooling system. atleast thats what was wrong with my car when the temp guage was doing that.
also might explain why the fans arnt running.

did you check the fuses under the hood?
check all the fuses and after it cools down with the car off check the coolant level.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:01 PM

Maybe the SES is for the fan circuitry. Get it scanned.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:23 AM

Take a look near the battery side of the radiator below the coolant level sensor. The fans are grounded there and several folks have had a problem with that ground point. Also try pulling out and reseating the fan relays in the underhood electrical panel.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Yeah get it scanned for the code. Also when my SES light was on and my fans didn't work it was b/c of a blown fuse. There was a ground out at the O2 harness which constantly blew my fan fuses. From what i read it is pretty common. Check fuses and see if there is a possible ground out. Good luck