LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need some help....opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:58 AM

Need some help....opinions

Forgive me, probably not the right forum, but is engine tech related for a 98 Cutless Oldsmobile

A friend of ours car was stolen up in Toledo around 5 and a half months back. It is a 98 Cutless Oldsmobile. This is a very interesting story, the car was stolen in the beginning of May and they did not find it until a few days ago. What happened was that the car was stolen and it appears that the guy who stole it lived in the car for a while, there was a whole bunch of clothing and then also a bunch of bills that had his name and all his info on them found in the car (which is very clever in my mind :lol

Well this is where it gets good, apparently the car was left in a apartment complex parking lot a few streets over from where it was stolen and then apartment complex had it towed in the middle of May. The guy who towed it decided he would tow it to his private residence (being in the woods) and leave it there for a number of months. He then decided after 5 months that he would try and register the car to himself and state that it was abandoned. Well, he went to the DMV and took applied with the VIN and red flags --- STOLEN CAR! The sheriff then went out along with my friend her Dad got the car. It is quite funny as the car was never reported towed at all and then the guy has the nerve to ask for $10 a day storage on his property for 5 months! Something very shadey going on, looks to me like the guy who towed it is in a large amount of trouble! The car is fine, not a scratch.

Anyhow this is where I need some opinions, they got the car back and I had a look at it. The oil definately needs changing! It sat for 5 months. I will be doing that. However when you start it up the car does not seem to want to idle and has black/grey smoke pump out the tail pipe. It starts first kick no problem. There is not much gas in the tank and am sure it is the gas that is bad. Now could I run a couple of bottles of seafoam though it with some 93+ gas, then some injector cleaner. Should I use the gas stabilizer instead? Then change out the fuel filter or do I have to drop the gas tank to clean it out?? Really do not feel like dropping the tank I will be cleaning the plugs too, they were just changed a couple months before the car was stolen.

Sorry for the long post, looking to get some thoughts on what I should do.

Thanks
Craig
Old 09-27-2004, 07:32 PM

Re: Need some help....opinions

I would recommend removing the fuel line and drain out as much as you can. The fuel could not have gone bad to the point of gumming if it was driven regularly up to the time it was stolen. Put fresh fuel in with seafoam and crank it over. It will take some time for the fresh fuel to make it to the engine. Don't crank it for more then 20 secs at a time and let the starter cool. Once it runs better, run it for about 20 minutes and then replace the fuel filter. Run it some more and have the injectors cleaned professionally.

You may get away with a few tanks of seafoam but remember that it is not recommended for automobiles with emissions controls. But at this point you have to do something with car to get it drivable again.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:30 PM

Re: Need some help....opinions

Thanks for the repy, It was driven everyday before it was stolen. Will try and get as much of the old gas out the line. Working on it on Thursday and hope to get it back on the road. Thanks again

Craig