LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

need some help on this one big tiem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 01:37 PM

need some help on this one big tiem

ok so i did the opti change todday and got finished with everyhing and i go to start it up and it wont start it wants to and is trying but wont then i try a couple more tiem then coolant starts leaking everywhere....so i fix the coolant problem and go to start it again and it doesnt even start...as soon as i turn the key it makes the sound a car makes whenits on alreaedy and u turn the key again on accident...the grinding loud sound...and thats all it does....i re checked the firing order and and plugs and nothign seems to be off i dont know whats going on...can anyone help me with this one
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Re: need some help on this one big tiem

Have you checked to make sure your getting spark to the cylinder? Did the opti slide right in or did you have some trouble with it?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 PM

Your bat. is low. It doesn't have enough power to fully engage the starter gear and probably not enough for the PCM.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Did you get coolant on the opti?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:27 PM

there is spark getting toit, the coolant didnt get on the opti it went straight down fromt eh fill jole i messed up and forgot to connect one hose....im an idiot...my buddy seesm to think itis the starter....i hnk imgopnna take it apart again and make sure about the coolant spill...if i did get any on the opti is it gonna be shot and no good?..

Last edited by white93lt1; 12-05-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:32 PM

You need to make sure the battery has a full charge on it or at least jump the car with another vehicle. As mentioned above, the battery's charge is low, that's what is making the noise you are refering to.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:55 PM

i hooked my friends car up and jumped it and still the same sound andproblem...so i think its the starter...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by white93lt1
...as soon as i turn the key it makes the sound a car makes whenits on alreaedy and u turn the key again on accident...the grinding loud sound...and thats all it does....i re checked the firing order and and plugs and nothign seems to be off i dont know whats going on...can anyone help me with this one
Ok first let's get 2 things straight. Either there is a cranking problem. As in the engine does not crank. Or there is a starting issue as in the engine cranks fine but does not fire up. The 2 are vastly different. I see some people telling you to look for battery problems as in a cranking issue and others telling you to look for ignition problems as in a starting issue. WHICH is it?

From what you describe above, where you said a grinding noise and that's all, it seems to me that you have a cranking issue. That is, the engine does not crank.

Usually a grinding noise when starting is from the starter/ flywheel gap not being set properly. Maybe a problem if you removed and replaced it?!

It could be from not enough current getting to the starter. Low/bad battery, bad connection anywhere from the battery, frame, engine, starter. Or another possibility is a bad starter that pulls more current than normal due to internally shorted windings causing it to want more current than your system can provide.

The last possibility is missing teeth on the starter bendix/flywheel.

All these possibilities can be easily trouble shot to find. The very easiest is to remove the coil wire and jump a known, notice I said a KNOWN, good battery directly to the starter. If you then have the same problem, remove the starter and inspect the bendix and the flywheel for any missing teeth. And by the way, while you're there. Rotate the engine by hand so you can check all 153 teeth on the flywheel not just assume it's good cause the teeth you can see are ok.

If all looks good, take the starter and see if someone can load test it. If you replace it, be sure you check it/shim it properly using the "paper clip" method so as to not damage the new the bendix/flywheel.

Last edited by Guest47904; 12-08-2005 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM

so i took the starter off and there is a giant crack down the middle of it starting in the front...i will try and post pictures of it ...so i go get a nother one from gm sports salvage and they give me the wrong one, so now i need to go back and get a nother one..