LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need peace of mind...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 12:54 PM

Unhappy Need peace of mind...

There's still something rotten in my cooling system, and the only things I haven't repalced, including the pipe on the back of the heads, are the radiator and fans.

I ran the car up to 250* yesterday about 4 times, taking an hour break, and 2 20 minute breaks in between.

Is this enough to blow the head gasket?

I know it was only 4 times but the motor is constantly hot, always has been since I bought it.

I'm gonna check the fuses and relays once I find out where they are and if it still overheats, I'll flush and pressure test the radiator and go from there.

Until then, I haven't driven the car since yesterday. I'd rather have a working car in the driveway rather than a moving car with a blown head gasket.

ONe way to test for a blown gasket is to pressure test the coolant system though, right?

Also, I've asked this 1,000 times but never seem to get an answer.

What aftermarket fans/radiators can we run in these cars. WIth the stock operating temperature being so high, its simply stunning to find that no one will make an aftermarket fan/radiator for these cars. Stunning.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:05 PM

ONe way to test for a blown gasket is to pressure test the coolant system though, right?
If you pressurize the cooling system, coolant will seep out from where the leak is coming from. If it is a head gasket, the leak will be inside the combustion chamber and you obviously won't see it, but I suppose you could pull out all of your spark plugs and see which cylinder coolant comes pouring out (if you have a head gasket problem).

The best way to test to see if you have a head gasket out is to perform a compression check sorry to say.

Good luck on your problem!!
Old 02-13-2003, 01:59 PM

The stock cooling system is perfectly adequate to keep the engine cool. If you have no obstruction in front of the radiator or in the cooling system, air dam is on, thermostat ok, radiator cap ok, no hoses collapsed, fans working, no air in the system, temp sensors operating properly, then maybe your pump is malfunctioning.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:12 PM

I know this is a stupid question but it was the answer to my cooling problem when I first bought my Z. You do know how to bleed the air out of the system, right?
Old 02-13-2003, 02:20 PM

yep, sure do. At this point, either the radiator is clogged, or the fans aren't functioning. I'm gonna pick up some redline water wetter and run that too.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:24 PM

Don't waste your money on redline.

Pull your radiator, and take it to a junkyard to radiator shop, to have it cleaned. I went through this struggle, and found that the radiator was partially clogged. They'll rod it out for you, and it'll run at 110 all day long.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:34 PM

I think I just found my problem. I'm gonna take your advice and take it to the radiator shop.

But anyway, the problem at least I think is I was hearing a sizzling noise and I couldn't hear where it was coming from.

Well, I just came back from AutoZone and I noticed that the heater core hose(s) aren't up against the pipe as far as they can go and apparently, thats causing a SLOW leak of coolant. Its dropping onto my Y-pipe and causing the sizzling sound.

Problem is, although I think I got the hose on the right hand side on as far as it can go, the hose on the left (the one with the metal pipe attached to it) is NOT BUDGING. I have the clamp practically all the way off and I STILL can't get the hose to BUDGE. It won't move an inch. I don't see how it can come off and not easily slide back on. The thing is almost like seized.

And to make matters worse, 90% of this line is metal, with amaybe 5 inches of rubber hose thats supposed to "stretch" back to its original position on the firewall. Its like the hose that comes on the heater core stock isn't long enough to reach back to where it came from once being removed.

Either way, I let it idle for 10 minutes from a cold start, then about 20 minutes later, I started it back up and went to the bank, autozone, and H-E-B a total trip of about 7-10 miles. It didn't even reach 220, but still there's something off, plus, I never got caught by any traffic lights or anything that would force me to idle.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:38 PM

110???? thats a little too cold for me. it should be really easy to determine if your fans are working. start the car and see if they come on. you will be able to hear them run. or put the thing up on jackstands and turn on your a/c. that will kick on the fans. also, check your air dam really well. make sure part of your nose piece didn't come loose. there are pieces of the nose piece that direct air into the engine and if they come loose, it will cause the car to run hot. it took me about a month to figure out something that took 2 minutes to fix.