LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help fast, pilot bearings which way in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 12:20 PM

Need help fast, pilot bearings which way in?

I have the tranny out in my 97 M6 and I think my stock pilot bushing is getting worn so I am installing the new pilot bearing. I am curious which way does the bearing go in? There is a side that is rounded and the other side has a lip and the needle bearings close to the edge. I figured this was the side that will face the tranny but I am not 100% sure.
So does the side that the needle bearings are closest to face the tranny or the smooth rounded side?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-27-2003, 11:35 PM

http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm

Install the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing. With a rubber mallet and socket that fits right around the lip of the pilot bearing, install the bearing into the crank. Be sure the flat side goes into the crank and the beveled side is toward the tranny (a gentleman named Brian emailed me to let me know that he installed his backwards and it seized up). It should be flush with the crank when it is fully in. Try not to touch the inside, it has grease in it. My mechanic told me the amount that it comes with is not enough and more should be added. Line-up the flywheel and start all of the bolts by hand - get them in as far as you can with your fingers, then tighten them hand tight in star formation. While someone holds the flywheel with a pry bar, torque the bolts in a star formation to spec (74 lb/ft). Clean the flywheel and pressure plate surface with brake cleaner to remove residue and finger marks. The clutch disk has a flat side and a side that sticks out. The side that sticks out goes toward the engine. Hold the clutch disk in place, and put the pressure plate on. Line up the holes and put in all the pressure plate bolts finger tight. Use the clutch alignment tool to center the clutch. Tighten all the bolts hand tight in a star formation, then torque them to spec (22 lb/ft). The pressure plate fingers will look straight when you are done.