LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help. Can not figure this car out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Need help. Can not figure this car out.

Ok well this car has always been running rich. And pretty much running like crap. But receintly my temp sensor for the water pump went bad. Changed it out and was reading right temperature after that but the car ran worse . the o2 sensors dont fluctuate very much as far as voltage goes and doesnt seem to read fast enough (if that makes any sense) also it takes forever to get into closed loop. As far as everything goes on the scanner that we have at school everything seems to be funtioning properly but yet the car runs like crap. I am out of ideas guys, any input at all would be apreciated. I am not sure if I was very clear on this post but if you have any ?'s please let me know.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:27 PM

man, its about time you post this up greasy b, ive been telling you that for months haha.

You just needa find a way to get it to anthony and have him check everything over.

For your o2 sensors, maybe try getting some of that sensor cleaner and cleaning them off or something, they could be all gunked up.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Is your engine coming up to operating temp? Have you checked your thermostat? How far away are your o2's? You may want to see if your o2 heaters are getting power. If not, they won't get hot enough to operate.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by blue89rs
Is your engine coming up to operating temp? Have you checked your thermostat? How far away are your o2's? You may want to see if your o2 heaters are getting power. If not, they won't get hot enough to operate.
i can say for sure he has pacesetter LTs with the o2s in the collector.
Cannot comment on anything else for him though.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:11 PM

slow o2 sensors are a sign that they are bad. They should be working back and forth fairly quickly. That would cause the car to idle bad and feel like it stumbles off idle or any small changes in throttle.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:32 PM

O2's also have to be hot to operate. Thats why people use 4-wire instead of 2-wire when they go to longtubes or any situation where the o2 is too far away from the head to hit operating temp. It would be simple to check the fuse that powers the 4-wire heater element.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 PM

have you changed your O2's since you installed your longtubes, sometimes the coating burns off and coats the sensors
Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
have you changed your O2's since you installed your longtubes, sometimes the coating burns off and coats the sensors
Yea I have. And even with brand new o2 sensors the situation did not seem to change any.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by blue89rs
Yea it comes up to temp. o2's are in the collector. As far as checking for power getting to them I have not done that yet. But even when it gets into closed loop it runs like crap. I will definatly try to get to checking the heaters for power though tomarrow.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:46 PM

Update... O2 heaters turned out to be ok. Any other ideas guys? I really need to get this car going good.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 PM

you need to get anthony to do a datalog, or take a laptop and your cable and do one yourself
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Just glancing at all your mods listed in the signature, I would suggest checking o2 wires to make sure they aren't burnt, checking fuel pressure which should be around 43psi, and lastly I would suggest making sure your valves are adjusted properly.
You say the car runs like crap, could you elaborate? Will it barely idle? Can you accelerate at all? Does it cruise smoothly?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by mkent
Just glancing at all your mods listed in the signature, I would suggest checking o2 wires to make sure they aren't burnt, checking fuel pressure which should be around 43psi, and lastly I would suggest making sure your valves are adjusted properly.
You say the car runs like crap, could you elaborate? Will it barely idle? Can you accelerate at all? Does it cruise smoothly?

Well when the temp sensor was bad it didnt want to idle but it would rev up OK. Then when I changed it out and now it is reading the correct temp it likes to idle but backfires when try to rev it up. Cant really drive it, runs too bad.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 PM

have you looked into an ignition source? it is amazing how easy you can burn a plug wire with a header installation... i've burnt god knows how many and mine are only mids, just sumthing to check into. start simple and go over what would be most obvious. i know when my 96 ran like sh*t my pcv hose was cracked (runs from the passanger valve cover to the TB), so i replaced it and the car ran smoother and had more power...apparantly it had something to do with the AFM, im still learning about my LT1 daily, so maybe any of this can help you.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 PM

I agree with what the previous guy said. Vacuum leaks and/or burnt plug wires would cause similar problems to yours.

Quick Reply: Need help. Can not figure this car out.