LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Exhaust Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 11:32 AM

Talking Need Exhaust Advice!

After about 60 million searches I have found myself still almost at the same point. I have my 95' lt1 single cat with shortie headers, hollow cat, and Loudmouth catback. I installed the Borla Xr-1 in the resonator place and it did a suprisingly good job to clean up the sound! But it's still too much...

So, I remember having just the loudmouth and the stock cat/manifolds, that was nice.

I have a dynomax high-flow cat, the hollow one makes it too raspy, and it wont sack as much power as the stock cat... So that should help. But I'm trying to find an exhaust that is quiet at part throttle or under 2500rpms inside the car. I'd prefer it to have a slight grumble as I drove past people (aka so the mustangs that pass me go "whoa!") but right now you can hear it idle 50 feet away, and it has the stock cam! So I'm wondering if there is anything i can do (besides a cutout) to make it a deep rumble at lower rpms, but plenty loud higher up?

My thought was either buy a Borla or Corsa catback, OR, do a custom job with a high-flow muffler in the stock location and a glass pack/tip on each outlet. On that note - I see all these "intercooled" tips and all... Do they actually do anything? My SLP Loudmouth tips look nice, but dont do beans otherwise for the sound.

Thanks for the time!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:10 PM

Borla sounds like crap. The real quality is in the Corsa and the GMMG chambered exhaust. Since you want more of a quiet exhaust I would reccomend the Corsa. Both of these are very clean and clear sounding. Corsa, however, is just more of a mellow sound.

Travis
Old 01-30-2003, 12:23 PM

i would recommend the GMMG. its quailty and good stuff...
Old 01-30-2003, 01:26 PM

I'm thinking the corsa too... I checked the GMMG exhaust and it sounds a bit like my loudmouth, but a little quieter. The corsa looks better... Any place to get the corsa cheaper then $600?
Old 01-30-2003, 01:48 PM

You are looking for a tuned exhaust. You are like me in that loud isn't necessarily the best thing. Some people just want loud. These cars have a natural exhaust noise elevated right in the cruising range. The OEM exhaust was tuned to cut that noise. The closest you will get to an aftermarket exhaust tuned for that frequency is the Corsa. They use a helmholtz chamber to tune try to hit it. The others use baffles, or packing or high frequency tubes or other methods. The resonator you installed is a good move. It changes the acoustical conductivity of the system and makes the muffler work a little better. It is also very effective on high frequencies in its own right (that's why it cleaned the sound up so well). The resonator tips won't be too effective because they are at the end of the system. The further upstream the tuning elements, the more effective they are. If you got a Corsa, coupled with the resonator, you will probably be more happy. They are expensive though. Leave the cat in. It does help acoustically.