LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need a Cam Help me pick

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 PM

Need a Cam Help me pick

LOL

Dont need anything off the wall or super dooper. Got a rounded Lobe and cant get a Factory replacment. I want to get the max ( Comp Cams ) that I can get without having to change anthing but the cam and PCM. I,m on a budget and willgo bigger when I rebuild the motor, which is not right now.

I dont know if the LT4 Hot cam is to big but if its ok to use with stock heads and springs, rockers then I,ll go with that. But if they make a Extreme energy cam that will work I would prefer that as I have used them when building carbed engines and liked them.

If I cant get anything from here I,ll spend on hour on the phone with Summit or Comp Cams if I have to.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 PM

There are exactly no performance cams that will work with the stock springs. The stock cam actually benefits from better springs.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 PM

So my best and cheapest option might be the LT4 hot cam KIT that comes with Rockers and Springs. Darn, I dont have that kind of money right now, but the engine is making me go loopey.

I do have a stock USED cam, and I do mean USED. Could I get that checked out to make sure its ok just to get me by for now??
Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM

If your used cam is worn someone has a stock cam you can buy cheap. With the roller cams it is perfectly acceptable to swap them, no lifter matching concerns or anything.

The springs in the HOT cam kit are OK for light LT4 valves but not so good with the LT1s heavier valves so that kit is not so great.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM

I trying to figure out how the lobe got rounded with roller lifters????
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If your used cam is worn someone has a stock cam you can buy cheap. With the roller cams it is perfectly acceptable to swap them, no lifter matching concerns or anything.

The springs in the HOT cam kit are OK for light LT4 valves but not so good with the LT1s heavier valves so that kit is not so great.
This is true, LT4 springs are what most consider not enough for an LT1 with lt4 hot cam kit. Your best bet is to buy a cam very close to stock size, or buy a stock one used, or buy from dealership ( and get reamed for it). If you go bigger with a cam you will want(need) to get it tuned.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
I trying to figure out how the lobe got rounded with roller lifters????
Well its got 180 K and NO I dont know if that is the problem. Just the last thing I or anyone on this board can think would be the problem. Plus the exhaust rocker ticks on No 7 and you can feel and see a slight difference in the Rock and Roll, if you know what I mean.

The other thing I,m not sure of is, if you can pull a cam without taking the motor out of the car. If you remove the nose is it possible or is there bracing in the way from the bumper?? I have a puller just dont want to if I dont have too.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:19 AM

if you're not even sure how to remove the cam how do you know it's messed up?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by 87bandit
if you're not even sure how to remove the cam how do you know it's messed up?
I know how to remove a cam you num nut, this is my first 4th Gen V-8. Ive been in the Carbed world of 3rd Gens for along time. Got tired of 8-9 miles a gallon so I made the switch. Took a gamble on this car since it had a possible cam issue but figured I could handle it, and I can. Just asking a simple question about if you have to pull the motor or not. Thirds you dont didnt know about these 4th Gens.

Why is everyone so mean these days?? Just trying to get some help Damn.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 AM

I just finished my cam install. If it was me I definately would not want to go through all that twice if possible. How many miles and how long before you rebuild the motor? A hot cam or stock replacement will probably be your cheapest options.

Here's some of what I put in...

LE custom cam = $300
Patriot Extreme Springs = $250
Comp Pro Mag 1.6 NSA Roller Rockers = $250
Trickflow pushrods = $90
Hardened Guideplates = $20
ARP 7/16 Studs = $45
Custom PCM tune = $75
LS7 lifter = $120 (Could prob. have reused stock)
Gaskets, Fluids, & Disposables = ??
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Venomous360
I know how to remove a cam you num nut, this is my first 4th Gen V-8. Ive been in the Carbed world of 3rd Gens for along time. Got tired of 8-9 miles a gallon so I made the switch. Took a gamble on this car since it had a possible cam issue but figured I could handle it, and I can. Just asking a simple question about if you have to pull the motor or not. Thirds you dont didnt know about these 4th Gens.

Why is everyone so mean these days?? Just trying to get some help Damn.
that's cute. my point was if you haven't even removed the cam how do you know it's damaged?

you're getting ready to set your self up for alot of pointless work imo

Last edited by 87bandit; 03-21-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by 87bandit
that's cute. my point was if you haven't even removed the cam how do you know it's damaged?

you're getting ready to set your self up for alot of pointless work imo
Well sorry, the way it was worded. NVM

Yes I realize this, but every other option to fix the problem ( in other post from previous owner.) has been done or redone or rechecked by me. The only other thing it could possibly be is a bad OPTI, which in my case would only be the optical sensor, which is all this setup uses. I,m getting mixed opinions on this as to wheather a bad optical sensor can be fine one minute and then get warmed up and start to make the car miss. ( bad )

Still wouldnt be a bad Idea ( since I dont know how far out the rebuild is ) to pull the motor clean it up replace some gaskets check the cam replace with used one if thats the case and call it good.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:48 PM

Is the engine throwing any codes????
Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
Is the engine throwing any codes????
Been there done that, going to hook it up and drive it around monday to see what it does when your driving. Find the Non Traditional Miss Diagnosis thread in the LT1 engine section the original owner started it.

It needs the pan gasket changed out anyway and were going to try a different USED OPTI to see if its the Optical sensor that is messing up when the engine gets warm.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:40 PM

an ignition or fuel problem is much more likely unless you have a lifter that looks fairly damaged or excessively worn

why not pull the intake and take a look? will allow you to look at the cam lobes and inspect the lifters, pushrods, etc

Quick Reply: Need a Cam Help me pick