LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Advice:

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:00 AM

Need Advice:

I'm going to buying a new opti for my 95z and I want to go ahead and put in a new timing chain while I'm down their. Do yall think I should replace the timing gears also or not worry about it? I hope to do a total rebuild within the next 20k miles or so.
My baby has 130k on her and I want to start to replacing some stuff before I go back to school. I'm also going to replace the plugs and wires too, any suggestions on those?
Should I stick to oem wires and plugs or go for performance ones, I've read from some people that it's better to just put the oem stuff back on b/c they have never really felt a difference in performance from the msd, taylor etc..ect..
Thanks for reading my long a** thread.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:21 AM

Re: Need Advice:

spend the extra money and buy a GM lt4 heavy duty chain assy ($245 or so). you'll need it when you do your rebuild (assuming you use a good size cam). people don't usually go buying aftermarket plug wires in search of horsepower. it's more for a consistant spark, more spark, better spark, or whatever reasons they have. usually plug wires burn out after a long period of time, and this is why you replace them. just part of a basic tune up. you can't go expecting to feel any kind of horsepower from plug wires on the "seat of the pants" dyno. i wouldn't wanna go throwing the stock ones on for any reason. taylor wires seem to be a favorite among lt1 guys. i can attest for that. ngk tr55 spark plugs seem to work well on lt1's as well. Accel coils seem to be the most regularly recomended coils. i think that covers all of the basic ignition parts that you must replace after time.