LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Mysterious Massive oil leak on top of Valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Mysterious Massive oil leak on top of Valve cover

Help! My car is underivable!

I replaced a rubber hose that is part of the PCV system because it was cracked (line from throttle body to passenger side valve cover) and the rubber grommet that sticks into the valve cover. I placed an inline valve on the hose to attempt to keep some oil from entering the throttle body. I think most people are placing an inline fuel/oil? filter to help with that. Anyways, I messed something up.

I now have a massive oil leak (1 quart every 15 minutes) that sprays on the valve cover and passenger side exhaust header.

I don't know where the leak is coming from. I made sure the rubber grommet is sealing well and that the oil fill cap is on tight.

Is there any other sources of oil on that side of the engine? Should I replace my PCV valve?

Radiator hose blew at the same time too. I don't think its related because those hoses are old.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Clean the engine off with a de-greaser (brake clean works well and is non-flamable) then start the car or have someone do it for you, get out and see what you can see, the location should be relatively obvious, other than that. Idk what randomly SPRAYS oil other than the sending unit (which is under oil pressure).
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 PM

Is that valve you put in closed? If so, with blowby past the rings, I think you would pressurize the inside of the engine, and the gasses would have to escape somewhere. Like the grommet, or the oil fill cap. And a lot of oil might go with it. Dunno, but if the valve is closed, open it.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 AM

It could be that the check valve you installed in attempt to stop the oil from entering the throttle body is now causing the engine to build pressure. Try removing this check valve and see what happens.