LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My first car

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:10 PM

My first car

Alright, so about a month ago my dad bought me my first car (I'm 16).
1994 z28 Convertible.
Automatic (I wanted a manual but dad said it's my first car so I don't need that)
sweet hood scoop
6 inch lift on the spoiler.

Any suggestions on mods or upgrades?
I want a new head unit and new speakers but I don't know what to do performance related.

I love this car. Camaros are one of my all time favorite cars.
My mom has a '68, powerglide in the column, white w/ red racing stripes, red interior-according to GM it is very rare and worth a lot of money.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:38 PM

Re: My first car

well first of all, thank your day for buying you your Z. I bought my Z when i was 16. But anyways, you could start off with a good cold air intake such as K&N, Moroso, SLP, etc.. After that you could get some more HP out of your exhaust with Catback exhausts such as SLP, hooker, borla, etc... Then even more HP with headers such as pacesetter, slp, kooks, etc... Then you may want to do some gears such as 3.73 since you have an a4. Then maybe a 3000 torque converter, and some nice sticky tires. Then work on suspension. Just some basics here to get you started. Have fun modding.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:42 PM

My suggestion for you is to learn how to drive well first before you begin to start modding.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:50 PM

That also is a very good suggestion. I would learn how to drive the car and get used to it before i start modding. If you want to you can try to work on some appearance parts such as wheels and such. But i would first get familiar with the car so you dont wrap it around a pole.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Yep I would get to know the car very well before I started upping the ante.

My first car was a 70 1/2 Camaro, I paid 500$ for it (in 1982). It had no motor or transmission (that was another 500). I put a nice 4 bolt main 350 in it a set of 292 BT heads, a Crane 216/216 ,454/454 cam, Weiand intake, Holly 650 DP,blackjack headers, and turbo mufflers. The tranny was an M-20 (4 speed) and the rear was an 8.5 with 3.55 gears. I loved it up to the point it was rearended and totoaled.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:58 PM

when i have a kid he's getting the slowest car possible for the first few year.
im shocked i lived through having one at 18
Old 02-07-2006, 03:58 PM

Like the first guy said thank your dad for helpin ya out
Yeah deffenitly take some time and learn how to 'know' every aspect of your car possible. These cars can get away from you real fast if you dont be carefull, even stock. These arent like stock civics with coffee can mufflers

That said, it would be a good idea to do a 'tuneup', plugs, wires, airfilter, oil, tranny fluid, etc, little things like that to make sure everything is up to spec. Modding a poorly running car is only asking for trouble.
But as most anyone will tell you, performance wise a good cold air intake, catback exhaust, and gears will make a world of difference I dont know how 3:73's would be on gas with an auto but i know my auto with 4:10s is terrible. I got the 4:10s because I knew i was gonna swap to a six speed, which is what im doin now.
Goodluck and take 'er easy
Old 02-07-2006, 04:03 PM

order a NX wet nitrous kit and jet it to 100hp. SHould give it a kick in the pants..........
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM

First things I did to mine before I started modding was plugs, wires, opti (mine was shot), trans flush and fuel filter. Then I started with some mods. I bought my car when I was 17 and drove it stock for the first summer. Over the winter I did the tune-up and put on a cold air intake. I drove it like that the first half of the summer and then put on headers and a catback. Now that its winter again I plan on doing new 02's, 1.6 roller rockers, new valve springs/seals, and a computer tune. I would do a cam but my motor runs to good to risk blowing up.

Rob
Old 02-07-2006, 04:05 PM

First off welcome to the boards. As stated above I'd get familiar with the car before I do anything to it. Then start with exhaust, CAI (cold air induction), Headers, and Catback, or even a cutout.

Second, try and use the search feature on this board, there are a million posts about what to do first with a stock car. If you have a question chances are its aleady been asked. You can find a lot of useful info on this site.

Again congrats on the car and welcome man.

Jp
Old 02-07-2006, 04:22 PM

The first thing you should spend your (or Dad's) money on is a one-day Driving school. Panoz' school at Road Atlanta is too advanced, in my opinion.

Skip Barber One Day schools are held in Sebring FL this time of year and at Lime Rock CT after the snow melts.

http://skipbarber.com/driving_school...ay_school.aspx

You will learn more, and learn it correctly, in one day than you could ever teach yourself by trial and error. Been there, done that. It's probably kept SStrokerAce (Bret) from crashing a bunch of cars. OK, the 3-day race school after it didn't hurt either.

I suggest it as the BEST gift a parent can give a new driver. It's the best $1000 or so you can invest in a son or daughter or yourself. It will save many times that in accident repairs. It will also save a priceless life...or more than one.

In our class we had a 16 year old girl who's grandma sent her to the school because the girl drove her gram around Boston on a regular basis. (Smart grammy!) She had never driven stick and was pretty much intimidated by the class at first. She not only learned stick in the first half hour with an (racing) instructor, but by the end of the day she was part of the winning team in the "relay race" style competition. I'd ride with her anywhere after that day. I can't say that about any other 16 year old I've ever met, including Bret (at 16). Her ability to drive, avoid accidents and handle a car improved so much you couldn't believe it.

BTW, it's also a ton of fun. Dad should join you at the school.

I'm in no way affiliated with Skip Barber. That kind of training is priceless.

[The Old One steps down off his soapbox...]
Old 02-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Congrats. on your new car, you got a pretty cool dad to buy you a Camaro at 16. My first car at 16 was a piece of crap Cavalier that spent more time being repaired then driven.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:48 PM

yea i would suggest getting used to the car as much as possible and actually finding out how much power it has in a controlled area. go to the track. im still 16, im on my 3rd f-body, i crashed my 93 Z because i didnt fully understand the cornering/speed capabilities. i feel ive learned my lesson the extremely hard way and now i will never speed. get used to it, save some money or w/e the case is then slowly invest it into the car. good luck
Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Hey man. Sweet car, you'll have a lot of fun with it. I got mine a week before I got my liscence and I was only 16 just like you. When I first got behind the wheel of it the first couple times, just hearing it start up was enough to scare me. Take it easy before you start doing any NASCAR stuff. My car was completly stock when I bought mine, and I did little things like a Catback, and suspension.

Now let me tell you how to behave. I'm not very much older than you, I'm turning 20 in a couple days. Buddy, be careful. You friends are going to want to see burnouts, the cars capabilites, and may even want to drive it. Do yourself a favor and try and keep the testosterone levels down. It's hard, I know. I still sometimes pay victim to being a badass, but let the car speak for itself. Your 16 and with a newer model Z-28 convertable? You've got a lot to show for. Keep your cool, drop the top, and have fun! I used to leave the t-tops off in the school parking lot on nice days,the chicks diged it. Be careful bud.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 PM

Man way to get a sweet ride for you first car, I had a 1994 civic 4-door auto for my first car... Yeah I know it was super slow!!! But when i turned 19 i saw the light... ahahaha. Just wanted to let you know that with the stock Bose Stereo and head unit, the speakers will not work correctly. You have to rewire the car if you put in an aftermarket deck and speakers as Bose is 2 ohm and almost everything else is 4 ohm. Just wanted to let you know, it only costs about $100 for a shop to do it.

Other then that, respect the car and have fun!

Quick Reply: My first car