LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is it my driveshaft or differential thats busted???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:47 PM

is it my driveshaft or differential thats busted???

hi guys k, to make a long story short, last week i posted on here asking about a clunking/rubbing noise my car was making (hard to diagnose over the internet). it felt like something was knocking under the pedals (i thoight it was teh exhaust), but when it would warm up itd go away.

anyway, the other night the car started whining bad (sounded like regular gear whine, but x10). gave a good stab at the throttle, and : clunk. something gave way. i pushed the car the rest of the way home (with a little help , and it was able to roll fine.

the car moves if i put it in gear , but i could only move it a bit at a time (cause theres like a clunk happening). any opinions on what it may be?? im pretty certain its either driveshaft related or differential related ( i had made an appointment at the dealership last week for tommorrow, to find what it was before it broke, oh well).

maybe the u-joints on the driveshaft?? would my driveshaft be bent if those let go?? is it tough to swap em??

im leaning more towards the driveshaft cause the rear has been fine ( sounded like bad gear whine, but maybe it was driveshaft whine???). i figure if the diffy was f**ked the car wouldnt wanna roll, even if beeing pushed?? any and all help is appreciated as always guys if i could pinpoint it and fix it myself id save quite a bit of $$$. thank you very much
Old 06-15-2003, 11:56 PM

get under the car and look
Old 06-16-2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
get under the car and look
thank you............. BAST**D!!! jk

thing is, i dont know what to look for ( i did my heads/cam myself , but with the help of everyone here), but driveshaft and differential related, i still have no clue. what should i go about checking?? thanks for the advice
Old 06-16-2003, 04:37 AM

I did my rear end and DS recently.. so.. jack the car up all the way off the ground.. put car in neutral.. get under car and turn DS by hand... look at both the front and rear yokes.. look for excessive movement inside the by the bearings... then while turning the DS listen (if you have a stethascope handy use that) to the rear diff listen for clunks and such.. also you could shake the DS up and down.. check for excessive movement there as well. My money would be on the diff or maybe even the trans after the symptoms you listed. Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2003, 04:38 AM

I did my rear end and DS recently.. so.. jack the car up all the way off the ground.. put car in neutral.. get under car and turn DS by hand... look at both the front and rear yokes.. look for excessive movement inside the by the bearings... then while turning the DS listen (if you have a stethascope handy use that) to the rear diff listen for clunks and such.. also you could shake the DS up and down.. check for excessive movement there as well. My money would be on the diff or maybe even the trans after the symptoms you listed. Good Luck!

PS I would swap out both the rear end and DS after you get some $$.. if you don't already.. it's well worth it!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:05 PM

my rear is trashed im calling around looking for a 12 bolt or 9 inch now (used). if not, ill have to rebuild (waste of f**king money)