LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

MSD Universal / Cut-to-fit Wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up MSD Universal / Cut-to-fit Wires

Don't know if anyone cares, but I found an awesome price on some MSD universal/cut-to-fit wires, $85.95+shipping. CarDomain of all places. Called Summit, which listed the same item for $119.70, and they said they wouldn't even match it. Something about MSD controlled the prices they could sell their products at. How does CarDomain sell the same item that much cheaper, I dunno.

Havn't got the wires yet, but I ordered Wensday and got a tracking number saying they'll be here Monday. The picture shows some blue Heli-Core wires, but the description says "8.5mm Red Super Conductor."

I bought these because a BRAND NEW set of cut-to-fit Taylor wires are arcing all over the place and I was told that this happens from time to time.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Are these the MSD's you need to get if you want to run them OTVC?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 PM

Thumbs up

I believe so. I called MSD and these are the ones they recommended. In case you didn’t see, these come with the Optispark end on and the spark plug boot end loose, opposite what the Taylor wires come.

They come in Monday, so I guess I’ll find out next week whether or not these are long enough to make it OTVC’s. I’ll keep you updated.

Last edited by Harvey; 08-03-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:31 PM

I tried a cut to order kit from MSD. Sucked the big one trying to make the ends for the optispark work. I ran their LT1 kit with zero problems and plenty of extra length. Plus it was only $60 at the time.

-Dustin-
Old 08-04-2007, 07:19 AM

Yes buy the wires with the opti ends already installed.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:55 PM

ya MSD told me when i called (reusing my old optispark ends) that u gotta od all kinds of wierd ****..

anyways Harvey u recieved them yet I want to order my OTV wire holders.. and will order the MSD wires if they are long enough and such!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 PM

I'm running msd cut to fit wires on my OVC looms with no problems..
Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 PM

Just put a set of MSD 8.5 on. Had to modify the black plastic wiring guide which sits on the alternator bracket. Right side was relatively easy...left side not so much.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Thumbs up

Just finished installing them. They went in very nice. Just to let you know, the description on the website said nothing about it, but the kit comes with a crimping tool, vise style, and a neat little set of rings with numbers that you can put on the wires down by the Optispark to tell which cylinder their coming from.

On the crimping tool, although it says it requires a 4" vise, I used a set of channel locks and it worked really well. Now, this tool is hard plastic, so it's not going to last forever. But I would think you could use it for a few sets.

Also, maybe just a personal opinion, but I liked the spark plug ends better with the MSD vs. the Taylor's. The Taylors were the standard style while with the MSD's you could either go standard or dual crimp. Dual crimp is where you crimp the insulation and the the wire sticks out and is crimped by two tabs instead of folding it under and crimping it all with on crimp.

So, this kit cost $100.00 shipped to my door, and if I were to buy the Made For You Products OTVC kit for around $50.00 after the handling charge from Summit, you've only spent about $35.00 more than you would have buying the kit from Thunder Racing, and you've got MSD stuff not Taylor junk.

Two thumbs up for this wire kit from MSD!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:38 AM

bump, hell ya orderin my set now thanks man!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:41 AM

wow, the secret must be out...the wires are now 119.95 @ car domain.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Thumbs down

Yeah, maybe we could see if a supporting vendor could do a GP on them sometime.

Sucks that they went up, sorry man.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:13 PM

I have the MSD 8.5mm prefit wires on mine. I have one boot that was burned through when it was resting on one of my headers. I have since tied up the wires with wire looms to keep the away from the headers. I also purchased the fiberglass wire heat shields. Unfortunately those didn't fit too well on the 90 degree plugs. I believe they make some without the inner metal rings that fit better. Does anyone know if they sell a kit to repair/replace just the boot on the 8.5mm MSD prefit wires? It is a straight boot on this particular wire not a 90 degree. I am trying to avoid buying and rerunning a whole new set of wires.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2007, 05:12 PM

i could probably sell u one of mine..

btw guys i called cardomain they said they never sold them for 85 and that was way below there list price.. I said i had called a week or so ago (i did) and my order didnt go through

bulll****t when u search google products it shows $85 they said it was a error
Old 09-10-2007, 05:57 PM

MSD 8.5 universals. Running long tubes now but they still fit great.

Mec

Quick Reply: MSD Universal / Cut-to-fit Wires