LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

MSD Opti Whats the point?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:15 PM

MSD Opti Whats the point?

Does MSD really think they can sell those Optis for 499 dollars?

So, I buy an opti from MSD for 499 dollars with a one year warranty, it fails after 13 months. Im SCREWED.

I buy a GM opti for 250 dollars with a one year warranty and it fails after 13 months. I go buy another opti for 250 dollars, at least then I've got a working distributor.

If MSD does not warranty their parts any longer than OEM where is the incentive to buy the product?

"Limited Warranty
Autotronic Controls Corporation warrants MSD Ignition products to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and if properly installed for a period of one year from date of purchase. If found to be defective as mentioned above, it will be replaced or repaired if returned prepaid along with proof of date of purchase. This shall constitute the sole remedy of the purchaser and the sole liability of Autotronic Controls Corporation to the extent permitted by law, the foregoing is exclusive and in lieu of all other warranties or representations whether expressed or implied, including any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness. In no event shall Autotronic Controls Corporation be liable for special or consequential damages."

I tried looking for consumer relations, no such area exists unless you want to send them snail mail.

I might actually throw down 500 dollars if they promise me it won't break in 2 or 3 years. But 12 month warranty? Anyone else think that is lame?

- Z28WannaB
Old 01-25-2006, 12:34 PM

Re: MSD Opti Whats the point?

I don't have any first hand experience, but I believe the idea behind the MSD opti is to make a component that can handle cars that spin the engine to 6200+ rpm on a regular basis.

For example.. I blew the tip of the rotor off my opti as it imploded in the waterbox during a burnout.

I had 90k miles on my stocker, so it's tough to say if it was old age, or abuse that did it in.

In any case, I just replaced mine with another stock opti.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:36 PM

Cant please everyone I guess. People pleaded and begged forever for it to come out. Now it's out, kinda.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:07 PM

I believe it will be a big seller till MSD runs out of them at which time people will bitch how theres a 6 month backorder to get one. It will be a huge seller!

Its not like the Dynaspark which was also a good seller and more expensive. The Dynaspark was a scam in my opinion because it was an AC opti in a fancy case... big deal. The MSD is a totally redesigned opti where every single component has been modified, hopefully for the better.

For me however Ill never purchase any of them. My money will go to the LTCC so I can run LS1 coils. Remove the rotor from inside an AC opti and it will never explode at 6k rpm... seal the case with silicone to protect the optical sensor and it will never have moisture problems. To me thats the best solution. And well, 8 coils are always better than 1.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:14 PM

The MSD unit is made better and everything is tighter/more rugged.

Not saying they shouldn't come with a longer warranty, but they likely will last you a LOT longer anyway.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
The MSD unit is made better and everything is tighter/more rugged.

Not saying they shouldn't come with a longer warranty, but they likely will last you a LOT longer anyway.
Yet to be proven.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Yet to be proven.
Just look at each. I only did the MSD cap and rotor, and it's a night and day difference looking between the 2 of them. The stock unit is flimsy and the MSD unit is obviously better made.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:18 PM

Just look at each. I only did the MSD cap and rotor, and it's a night and day difference looking between the 2 of them. The stock unit is flimsy and the MSD unit is obviously better made.

Still doesn't mean it's a better unit. Just prettier and beefier - doesn't say anything for the functionality and durability of the unit.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:47 PM

Well I'd get the MSD Opti, but my vote goes with Delteq. Found a system for $625.00 and to nearly rid myself of the Opti for good would be

However it still relies on the optical sensor I'd rather not have to replace the damn thing very often. Now that said, MSD is such a proven electronics performance brand that I don't see how there R&D department couldn't vastly improve on the design of the Opti...they've already put it off long enough prolly due to catching up all the loose ends.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by turbo_z
Its not like the Dynaspark which was also a good seller and more expensive. The Dynaspark was a scam in my opinion because it was an AC opti in a fancy case... big deal. The MSD is a totally redesigned opti where every single component has been modified, hopefully for the better.
If you go to the dynaspark website, I think you will see that it is, in fact, a completely revised design with almost all new/improved components. It also has a CNC machined rear housing that completely replaces the opti factory casting and is a completely sealed unit with totally revised wiring and electronics. I'd bet that you made that statement without actually seeing one personally. They are also willing to back their products more than MSD and are rebuildable in the event of damage or failure.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Still doesn't mean it's a better unit. Just prettier and beefier - doesn't say anything for the functionality and durability of the unit.
Ya think so? Being beefier and better built with visibly better tolerances usually means something is stronger and more durable. I've never seen flimsy things perform and do the job better, unless we're talking kites or something.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:10 PM

The Titanic would have faired better had its hull been more "flexible".

The phosphorus content is slightly higher than normal, while the sulfur content is quite high, accompanied by a low manganese content. This yielded a Mn:S ratio of 6.8:1—a very low ratio by modern standards. The presence of relatively high amounts of phosphorous, oxygen, and sulfur has a tendency to embrittle the steel at low temperatures.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Some of you guys are just opti haters. IMO the opti is not a bad design from the factory. Its just in the wrong place. Hell, I ahev put well over 120,xxx miles on my stock opti. It still has yet to fail on me. I will be buying the MSD unite but only after the stocker fails. For some reason I dont like having LS1 stuff on my car.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:53 PM

Out of curiosity, what RPM do you spin yours to? I can tell you first hand that my first opti lasted 90k hard miles on the street and the track when I was spinning 6,000rpm or less. Now that I'm spinning 7,000rpm, it lasted a couple dyno pulls.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Ya think so? Being beefier and better built with visibly better tolerances usually means something is stronger and more durable. I've never seen flimsy things perform and do the job better, unless we're talking kites or something.

Still no data stating that it's a better unit - and that's the bottom line.

Quick Reply: MSD Opti Whats the point?