LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

More speed. What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:54 PM

More speed. What can I do?

What can I do for more speed. I wanna try and back up my 13.58 and 104 mph trap. But I do not know what to do. Removing the sway bar isn't gonna happen. I'm gonna yank the passenger seat for sure. I'm not gonna do a TB bypass. I'm all out of ideas as to what to do for more speed. So I am asking the infinite wisdom of LT1 Tech to help. Please give me some suggestions guys.

TIA
Old 10-06-2004, 10:03 PM

Re: More speed. What can I do?

some RR's, some gears, and a tune from madz28...
Old 10-06-2004, 10:06 PM

Tires???? Lose weight.....
Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 PM

Cam, port heads, valve job.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:23 PM

Perhaps I shoulda stated that I'm trying to do this with what I have. I know what I can spend on mods. My mistake, I should have said free mods.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:16 PM

Throttle Body Bypass?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by LS1_03
I'm not gonna do a TB bypass.

The whopping 5 hp it probably won't give isn't worth the time for me. We'll see though. Is there anything I can really strip out. Passenger seat, spare tire and jack and 1/4 tank of gas are gonna be in the works for sure. I'm not gonna yank the sway bar due to the fact I gotta yank off the tires. So beyond what I've just mentioned, what can I do? There's gotta be more free mods out there.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:10 AM

wow, too lazy to do a tb bypass.....thats the height of laziness on a car. Not removing the sway bar becaues hes gotta take the wheels off. Do you change your oil or is it too much work to jack it up?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:27 AM

well, you could install a cutout. Not totally free but really cheap. Other than that you could do a home-mad cold air intake. Again not free, but pretty cheap. that's about all you can do for more power though without spending money on the engine. Then there is weight reduction which you're allready working on i see (rear seat, passenger, spare/jack, etc.). If you want to go significantly faster you're gunna have to spend money. Speed isn't free.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 AM

The whopping 5 hp it probably won't give isn't worth the time for me. We'll see though. Is there anything I can really strip out. Passenger seat, spare tire and jack and 1/4 tank of gas are gonna be in the works for sure. I'm not gonna yank the sway bar due to the fact I gotta yank off the tires. So beyond what I've just mentioned, what can I do? There's gotta be more free mods out there.
Someone dyno tested that mod and got 7rwhp ...if your too lazy for a little thing like this... your beyond help.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:21 AM

I agree. The car runs much cooler (make a home-made fan switch) and get a 160 stat. Cheap mod but well worth it. I felt a big difference especially in traffic and ****. It's got much cleaner throttle response.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:46 AM

It took me all of 3 minutes to do. The hardest part is getting the vacuum caps on. You will notice a big difference. Also get a Hypertech 160 thermostat. $20 for it, and it's always a good idea to replace your thermo-stat before winter.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 95_LT1_6SPD
wow, too lazy to do a tb bypass.....thats the height of laziness on a car. Not removing the sway bar becaues hes gotta take the wheels off. Do you change your oil or is it too much work to jack it up?

First, you're an ***. Never did I say I was too lazy. I said it wasn't worth my time. That goes for you and S8ER95Z. I figure a TB bypass isn't worth that much. Why do it? I'm not removing the sway bar at the track, because well, it's time consuming and I don't feel like driving the 100 miles or so with no sway bar. Yes, I change my own oil.

I must be mistaken, I didn't know you could do the TB bypass with the TB on. I thought you had to remove it. I will look into it.

As for everything else, I've already got a 160º Thermo(isn't a Hypertech, it's a $5 thermo and it's been in the car for over a year with NO problems so don't try and sell me on it). The fans are reprogrammed, I have Hooker LTs, Hooker Catback, cutout, Moroso CAI. I was looking for a bunch of free mods to do because the only one I know of is to yank the seats and TB bypass. I was looking for other ideas, not for people to call me lazy. You're all a bunch of f*cks. But thanks anyway to the people who gave me good responses instead of voicing their opinion on me and not answering my questions.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 PM

It definitely is worth your time. The more air you engine sucks in, the colder the TB and intake get. The colder they get, the more dense the air is meaning more power. A lower thermostat isnt going to help much if the air is still 160 degrees
Old 10-07-2004, 08:10 PM

the cutout will help shave a few tenths off, and ive seen TB airfoils in the for sale section for dirt cheap. besides that i dont know of anything off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: More speed. What can I do?