LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Modifying waterpump housing? (could save your opti!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:33 PM

Modifying waterpump housing? (could save your opti!)

So I was doing the opti today and it got me thinking. I really don't like the position of the weep hole right above the opti.

Idea 1: Why can't we just block the port (put some cement in there and close the hole)?

Idea 2: If idea 1 is unnacomplishable for some reason, why not drill and tap the weep hole, install a fitting, and run a small tube to the bottom of the engine bay, so when the waterpump dies, it doesn't take the opti with it?

Ideas? suggestion?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:38 PM

I like suggestion number 2 myself.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:45 PM

I'm about to pick up a 95 T/A and the water pump was pretty much shot in it. When I got back from taking it for a test drive it was spilling a little coolant out thru the weep hole, is this normal on a f'ed pump? Do i need to worry about the opti now? I believe the 95s are vented. Would you buy a car that had a bad waterpump but the guy was replacing it?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:51 PM

i drove my car with a leaking weep for a week maybe 2 before i replaced and i was fine (unvented)
Old 04-15-2004, 11:15 PM

Tapping the hole and running a tube away from the opti has been done by numerous people. I would not close the hole.

My wp actually leaked for several thousand miles (off and on) and it did not hurt my opti.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:03 AM

Shoebox, any idea how big you can safely drill and tap the hole and what they used for a fitting?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:06 AM

I wonder if you could just epoxy or JB weld a fitting in the weep hole.
Ron
Old 04-16-2004, 06:31 AM

My dad mentioned this idea to me when I bought my car, but I was really worried about metal shavings getting in the water pump when I drilled it and then getting in the bearing and causing the water pump to go bad prematurely. I dont know if this is a big concern or not, but a risk I wasnt willing to take. I agree that it is a great idea and would like to hear from someone who has done it.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by ssbowtie1
Shoebox, any idea how big you can safely drill and tap the hole and what they used for a fitting?
I never saw any pics or details of what exactly was done, just posts over the years of some people that did it.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
I never saw any pics or details of what exactly was done, just posts over the years of some people that did it.
Ive heard other wise. People have tried it and it hit the balancer i think so they had to remove it.

Old 04-16-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by SantaCruz163
I'm about to pick up a 95 T/A and the water pump was pretty much shot in it. When I got back from taking it for a test drive it was spilling a little coolant out thru the weep hole, is this normal on a f'ed pump? Do i need to worry about the opti now? I believe the 95s are vented. Would you buy a car that had a bad waterpump but the guy was replacing it?
Yup it's normal for the pump to leak water out of the weep hole when it's going bad. It's basically just a little tell tale sign the pump is going bad. Water pump's on these cars are kinda notorious for going out anyway so I wouldn't have too much cause for concern. It all depends on the mileage. If he's fixing it before the sale it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:07 AM

The car has 110k miles on it. I took it for a drive with the bad pump. It still pulled and sounded nice. The temp didn't get too high either, around 210*. There was no rough idle, or coolant in the oil, so I think its good to go. And yes he is changing the pump before I pick it up. Think I'm getting a deal? I'm going to have my mechanic just check it over just to make sure shes running good. Compression test couldn't hurt either.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:33 AM

Get your mechanic to do all the necessary checks before you buy it. If everything checks out ok then go for it if you think it's a good price.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:03 PM

when i bought my car the wp was leaking but it had seemed as if it had just started...he replaced the wp for me and so far the opti is ok (6 months later)...so just replace the water pump and hopefully the opti will still be ok...if not try and get a few hundred out of him for the opti
Old 04-17-2004, 04:34 PM

Well, when I bought my car it had holes in the heads Previous owner blew a head gasket and kept on and on driving it, instead of just blowing the gasket, it eventually wore a groove in the head where the typical blow-by would pass through. Anyways, got an insane deal on it, considering the blower and other engine mods so I wasn't too mad, and its turned out to be a good car

Carson

Quick Reply: Modifying waterpump housing? (could save your opti!)