LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Mean to my LT1 - Yet still Strong!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Mean to my LT1 - Yet still Strong!

I went through a rather vicious separation/divorce almost 2 years ago now....during which time I decided it would be best to get my two Camaro's away from her reach so that if/when she got spiteful they could not be damaged.

My family has cabin on a lake about 4 hours drive from me that has a couple of spots of empty garage space.
So I drove my 97 up there then and parked it. Threw an automatic battery charger on it took one last look and put a car cover on over top.
The 67 I wasn't so confident could make the jaunt so I commandeered a single bay in a friends garage until my ex got out of the house and took her name off the mortgage so that I could change the locks.

Well this last weekend just past was my first opportunity to go and take my 97 out - haven't even been up there to start it or look at it since then.....it has been a rough go for a while and just couldn't find the time or money.
The cabin is an hour from any place that I could get an oil change done and what with it being lowered 2" I can't get it up on normal ramps or get a jack under it. Checked the fluids and everything seemed fine.

It started up on the 2nd crank.
I pulled it out of the garage, and let it idle a little rough for 15 seconds or so....then smoothed right out.
My new hot girlfriend got in the passenger seat with a huge grin on her face, after about a minute of sitting still I proceed to pull it out on the road taking it easy on the throttle.
Check engine light started to blink at me......and I nearly pulled over to plug in my scanner to see what it could be - but after being on for 10 seconds or so....it went away.

Took it easy for the first bit then decided some more spirited driving was in order. Drove the rest of the way to a shop, just over 100k and got the oil changed.

Good ol' LT1
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Re: Mean to my LT1 - Yet still Strong!

Originally Posted by Pandamonkey
I went through a rather vicious separation/divorce almost 2 years ago now....during which time I decided it would be best to get my two Camaro's away from her reach so that if/when she got spiteful they could not be damaged.

My family has cabin on a lake about 4 hours drive from me that has a couple of spots of empty garage space.
So I drove my 97 up there then and parked it. Threw an automatic battery charger on it took one last look and put a car cover on over top.
The 67 I wasn't so confident could make the jaunt so I commandeered a single bay in a friends garage until my ex got out of the house and took her name off the mortgage so that I could change the locks.

Well this last weekend just past was my first opportunity to go and take my 97 out - haven't even been up there to start it or look at it since then.....it has been a rough go for a while and just couldn't find the time or money.
The cabin is an hour from any place that I could get an oil change done and what with it being lowered 2" I can't get it up on normal ramps or get a jack under it. Checked the fluids and everything seemed fine.

It started up on the 2nd crank.
I pulled it out of the garage, and let it idle a little rough for 15 seconds or so....then smoothed right out.
My new hot girlfriend got in the passenger seat with a huge grin on her face, after about a minute of sitting still I proceed to pull it out on the road taking it easy on the throttle.
Check engine light started to blink at me......and I nearly pulled over to plug in my scanner to see what it could be - but after being on for 10 seconds or so....it went away.

Took it easy for the first bit then decided some more spirited driving was in order. Drove the rest of the way to a shop, just over 100k and got the oil changed.

Good ol' LT1
Yep, they hold on well over time! Bet it felt great to drive it again.

My stock shortblock build sat for ~2 1/2 years while I built the new motor, and when I installed a battery and went to crank her up, she fired up right away! Hunted for the idle for a little bit and runs a little rough, but that is probably due to the nasty old gas in there. I let her run for a few minutes with a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner then parked her again until I can pull out the old motor .
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Re: Mean to my LT1 - Yet still Strong!

Women (good or bad) can really mess with the love affairs of our cars