LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

MAC full exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 02:07 PM

MAC full exhaust?

I'm looking at buying a set of MAC 1 5/8" headers from Jet Hot, and I realized that the y-pipe that comes with them is meant for a bolt-on cat, not a weld-in. So, now I'm interested in MAC's high flow catalytic converter. Which brings me to MAC's catback. This thing sure LOOKS like it's something--everything is flanged, no band clamps or anything. Looks like a winner for a good price.

I'm in an emissions area, so long tubes are out. I figure since I can't get long tubes, I'll get the short/mid-length header set with the best plug access. My questions are as follows:

#1: Do MAC headers really have that good of a plug access?
#2: Will Jet-hot protect these headers for a good while?
#3: Would I be better off getting a better catback than that MAC?
#4: Is the MAC flanged/bolt-on high-flow cat worth the money?
#5: Assuming I buy the headers, y-pipe, high-flow cat, and catback, will it all fit together properly, since it's all designed around the stock locations?

Thanks for your time, hope I get some good answers.

All my best,
Bryan
Old 09-23-2003, 02:34 PM

can you link me to where these jet-hot coated mac's are for sale?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Cmr0z28
can you link me to where these jet-hot coated mac's are for sale?
Actually, I just called Jet Hot and Chris, extension 110, answered. I asked him how much it would cost to coat a set of MAC headers, y-pipe, and high flow cat if I purchased it all, then he told me they can buy it all at a discounted rate and strip, coat, and ship it straight to my door. Call Jet Hot at 1-800-432-3379 and as soon as you hear the welcome machine tell you to press 2 to place an order, just hit the numbers "1 1 0" instead. That'll get you to Chris, and he should be able to give you the info..

By the way, anyone have any good comments on this post?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:07 AM

how much did he quote you for the headers and for them to be stripped and coated
Old 09-24-2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by Matt96Z
how much did he quote you for the headers and for them to be stripped and coated
He quoted me $561 for the MAC 1 5/8" header set (TF949597 - the single cat header set with replacement y-pipe). He said they'd coat everything I ordered (including this high flow cat) with the Sterling compound.

So, $561 for headers and Y-pipe, or about $810 for headers/y-pipe/high flow cat.

Can someone please offer me some advice on this exhaust setup?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:43 AM

TTT
Old 09-24-2003, 11:23 AM

I'd rather have SLP shorties
Old 09-24-2003, 11:53 AM

Yes, plug access is outstanding with the Macs. While their shorter primaries aren't that condusive to the higher HP builds, they offer a very substantial gain on most cars. My Purple Pearl 93 has the Mac Headers, Mac High flow cat, and a Mac ORP. They all fit together with no leaking, no problems. It's a really nice setup, just the HPS coating (or whatever) they give you with it isn't too good. The Jet Hot coating would be real good for it and protect it for a long time.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
Yes, plug access is outstanding with the Macs. While their shorter primaries aren't that condusive to the higher HP builds, they offer a very substantial gain on most cars. My Purple Pearl 93 has the Mac Headers, Mac High flow cat, and a Mac ORP. They all fit together with no leaking, no problems. It's a really nice setup, just the HPS coating (or whatever) they give you with it isn't too good. The Jet Hot coating would be real good for it and protect it for a long time.

Exactly what I was thinking, my same experiences...I dont run a CAT though....
Old 09-24-2003, 02:15 PM

I have a complete MAC exhaust and love it. Plug access is ok and the sound it produces is awesome!!! I've had no problems with leaks. I did however, have a problem with my muffler falling apart, BUT I sent MAC some pics and they sent me a brand new within a week!! You'll love the MAC system!! Go for it!!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:38 PM

Good stuff... Very good info. I'm thinking I'll get the MAC headers, Y-pipe (the street legal one), and the high flow cat for sure, but I may opt for the SLP 2OTL instead of the MAC catback. Stainless steel + straight-through design = good. Plus it sounds awesome, even though it looks atypical of your current V8 f-body.

Also, how good is the "Made for you" OTVC kit from Thunder Racing? Wires and looms of good craftsmanship?

Thanks again!
Bryan
Old 09-26-2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by X-Jester
Good stuff... Very good info. I'm thinking I'll get the MAC headers, Y-pipe (the street legal one), and the high flow cat for sure, but I may opt for the SLP 2OTL instead of the MAC catback. Stainless steel + straight-through design = good. Plus it sounds awesome, even though it looks atypical of your current V8 f-body.

Also, how good is the "Made for you" OTVC kit from Thunder Racing? Wires and looms of good craftsmanship?

Thanks again!
Bryan
Hey Bryan, I just realized you need to beef those pics in your sig down a bit. They take quite a while to load
Old 09-26-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by SUMO-Z
Exactly what I was thinking, my same experiences...I dont run a CAT though....
Neither do I. Just have it because it came with the car.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
Hey Bryan, I just realized you need to beef those pics in your sig down a bit. They take quite a while to load
That's being taken care of, my friend Give me another day or two