LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lt4 hotcam kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:31 AM

Lt4 hotcam kit questions

ok how important are the pushrods and springs for the lt4 hotcam? i know u dont NEED pushrods, but i think i will get them anyways just to be safe, but what about springs? just curious what everyone thought on the topic. thanx
Old 08-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned

Re: Lt4 hotcam kit questions

Get the whole kit. Ya need springs,retainers,keepers,GM guide plates,hardened push rods,rockers,cam,timing chain set,gaskets,oil and filter.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:15 AM

nice topic. I just purchased the whole kit and i have same questions :

* are hardenened pushrods a real necessity as i won't upgrade my engine more after the hot cam install ?
* i have seen a lot of threads saying the springs are weak but .... is there a real necessity again to get some better or people have used them without any trouble ? (or is there people having trouble with those springs ??)

I need an answer too

thx

Pierre
Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 AM

You do not need hardened push rods or guide plates, the rockers are self alligning. If you want to FEEL safe, then dump another $100 in to it. I ran a hot cam kit for about 2 years and turned 6400 rpm about as many times per day as I could get away with.

* i have seen a lot of threads saying the springs are weak but .... is there a real necessity again to get some better or people have used them without any trouble ?

You will notice that most people who complain about the hot cam kit have never ran it. Come to think of it that's true with most things on the board. I only saw push rods get bent in half on one occasion. The owner of the car I built had his rev limmiter removed because of n20 (if you don't know why check the n20 forum). It was his first day at the track and he was comming out of the burn out box with his foot to the floor. All of a sudden it sounded like someone dropped a stack of dishes and the car just died. Turns out he spun it a lill over 7K and bent most of the push rods and spun a rod berring as a result. So if you don't do any thing that dumb your car should last quite a while.

Here is a vid I made of my car. Most of the stuff shown was with my hot cam setup. I beat the bike and ran the 10.57 with a AI 190 head and cam combo with a little n20, but just about everything else was hot cammed.
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...42b77751c8.htm
Old 08-04-2006, 09:43 AM

Okay thank you very much 526ss. I think i will spend a little extra money and get some hardened pushrods and some new springs. any suggestions on springs? should i go ahead and get the springs that come in the kit. or should i get some different ones? i have heard of lt1 guys running ls1 springs?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM

Just use the kit as it comes. Seriously, make your life easy. The whole point of going with a hot cam kit is that it's cheap and effective.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:19 AM

well the reason hes asking is because im selling a brand new lt4 hotcam itself, along with 1.6 RR's. It doesnt come with springs or pushrods.

im selling the cam and the RR's for 215, which I thought was a very fair price. I bought those to install without the springs and pushrods(just never did the install), because like many have said on here, stock springs/pushrods will hold up fine. Plus its quicker and easier to not deal with changing springs if you really dont need them
Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

Just get the LT4 springs,retainers and locks. I used the stock ones and it cost me an engine and same for others on the board. Dropped a valve at 6000 and destroyed everything but the intake. Everything had to be replaced.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 526 SS 96
Just use the kit as it comes. Seriously, make your life easy. The whole point of going with a hot cam kit is that it's cheap and effective.

I cant agree more...

i think its a great street cam and it works well with n2o and also a little boost.......
Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 526 SS 96

You will notice that most people who complain about the hot cam kit have never ran it. Come to think of it that's true with most things on the board.
well said

i ran the hot cam kit for 30k without issues. daily driver, and hitting the track every other weekend.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:33 AM

okay well i will look into springs and pushrods then. thanx guys. i had kind of planned on getting them anyway when i bouth the hotcam. just kinda making sure i should do that. but since i dont have the lt4 springs should i go with a different spring? or find some off the lt4 hotcam kit? also just out of curiousity, has anyone bought kooks headers??? do they charge much on shipping? that wont happen till next summer if i go for kooks though. anyways that was really off the subject. if someone could help me with the springs that would be great.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by skibbez93z
ok how important are the pushrods and springs for the lt4 hotcam? i know u dont NEED pushrods, but i think i will get them anyways just to be safe, but what about springs? just curious what everyone thought on the topic. thanx
Without pushrods, how is the cam/lifters going to actuate the rockers/valves? You can try it, but I'm sure your motor won't run worth a damn without pushrods.

...just kidding
Old 08-04-2006, 12:13 PM

I am doing a 383 build right now with the LT4 hotcam kit and am going to use the stock original pushrods....hardened are not needed without guideplates.
The springs are a MUST...the stock ones most likely will coil-bind with the increased lift.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 PM

ok springs are a must. if i am doing that i may as well go ahead and do pushrods.... only an extra 30 bucks. should i get the lt4 hotcam springs or ls1 springs?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:02 PM

I think this has been answered about 5 times now, but I'll give it one more shot.
NO!! Do not get the LT4 Hot Cam springs. Not because there is any thing wrong with them, but because you obviously are concerned. So just get some other nice aftermarket springs, and be happy. As your buying everything separate there shouldn't be much difference in price.

Quick Reply: Lt4 hotcam kit questions