LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 Hesitation/cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:47 PM

Question LT1 Hesitation/cutting out

New poster here, I have a 95 T/A which seems to have some demons.

Ever since i got the car a few months ago it has a problem with cutting out under mild to hard acceleration from idle to 3000 RPMs when the car gets up to temp (~210). Once it reaches 3000 Rs it runs fine until around 4500 when it starts again.

This problem only happens when the car is up to normal temp, and will not happen when it is cold. The hotter the car gets, such as in town, the worse the problem becomes.

So far i have changed the plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Took the car to auto zone to try to have them read the codes, but the scan tool only said "Linking Error." It throws a SES light intermitently.

Any input would be great, or if you could point me in the direction of a thread where this has already been discussed.

Austin
Old 08-28-2003, 01:31 PM

Some will say the Opti is bad, Some will say it was only a faulty IAT sensor, Some will say Ignition module or coil. Maybe bad spark plug wires. So many things can cause that. Mine did that, sorta. A good scan tool said O2's. Replaced those and the fuel filter while I had it up in the air. I also put a Fan switch on it and never let it get real hot. Haven't had the problem return since then. Get a good scan done. Auto Zone either has a faulty scan tool or there is something wrong with your link to the PCM.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:37 PM

I'd definitely change your fuel filter and spend 70 bucks on some good 02 sensors if they have not been changed in 10k miles. I had no idea how often you were supposed to change those. I had pretty much the same identical problem at the same rpms and it was 02 sensors. A good scan will show if it's bad but for the price I'd just rule it out. Don't get overly excited about the OPTI, granted it's an annoying engineering design but people get carried away with it, if your car's pulling to the right..."it's the OPTI" lol...things like that....good luck.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:51 PM

I have two o2 sensors ordered, going to put them in this weekend.

Also i think i am going to get a 160 thermo and do the fan mod. Will probebly have the radiator flushed since i have no clue on the cars matenence history.

Does a dealer charge to do a scan?
Old 08-28-2003, 01:54 PM

Don't forget the fuel filter and be sure to bleed off pressure before you remove it.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:01 PM

You know, how come it seems almost all the hesistation problems are with 95's or 94s. WOnder if it is a thing with OBD1 cars that run a MAF??? I wonder if just gm never got the maf calibration stuff right on the obd1 cars or something???

Just a thought off topic but in line with the same subject. BTW hope you get it fixed.

Jason
Old 08-28-2003, 06:13 PM

Dam dealer wants $24 bucks just to read the codes, what a rip
Old 08-28-2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by JWA95TA
You know, how come it seems almost all the hesistation problems are with 95's or 94s. WOnder if it is a thing with OBD1 cars that run a MAF??? I wonder if just gm never got the maf calibration stuff right on the obd1 cars or something???

Just a thought off topic but in line with the same subject. BTW hope you get it fixed.

Jason
Actually, in the supersize post about hesitation and stumbling, several 97's and 96's were in there, too.. :\
Old 08-28-2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Valkyn71
Dam dealer wants $24 bucks just to read the codes, what a rip
That isn't much, most places charge twice that.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:52 PM

Hey man here the dealer wanted $85 to plug in there reader... anyway I would definetly get it read b4 continuing replacing parts, call around at auto repair shops sometimes they offer it eal cheap. Also the reason the autozone prob didnt work is because u have an obd2 style connector but only have obd1, GM did this as part of a transition phase into obd2, good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:46 AM

mine did the same thing!! it was the coil
Old 09-01-2003, 05:34 PM

Got a date with the dealer tomarro, will let ya know...

if they figure anything out that is
Old 09-01-2003, 09:47 PM

I'd say ignigtion. Mine did that too. Burnt wire---not really burt just destroyed by heat. I would check the wires. And if you had the wires done at a dealership here is a story: I had the same miss you are talking about so i take it to them and they find it's the wires....so i give them some MagnaCore wires and they do wires and plugs....i drive it the next day and has the same hesitation..i look under the hood and see the wire laying on the underside of the header.......what dummies---so don't rule out wires

Jason say's Wires

LT1 are know for burning wires like crazy
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 PM

Any header will burn a wire if you don,t route it right.
Get the car scanned, 94 and 95 require a scan tool, 95 requires one with the OB2 cable.
How many miles are on the car?
Sounds like my problems and it was the opti, not the optical part but a bad cap and rotor.
Pull the code first and see whats up but if you have high miles those caps and rotors wear out.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by JWA95TA

Jason
94 here, and not a drop of hesitation...ever. Even with a blown head gasket

Quick Reply: LT1 Hesitation/cutting out