LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

low speed fans

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 08:25 PM

low speed fans

94 z28 three relay...on low speed the passenger fan turns on...then on the high speed setting both fans turn on...i was under the impression both fans should work on low speed just slower...followed the instructions but i guess i did something wrong...anyone have any suggestions???been trying to get this right for about three days now...any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 03-26-2004, 09:26 PM

On the three relay system both fans are supposed to run at low speed or high speed. You followed what instructions to do what? Install a fan switch? There are many methods for fan switches. Maybe you could provide more info?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:33 PM

If NO pull relay #3 relay 'J' [leave jumper in #1 relay D1 to D4]
Jump J3 to J4

i used the diagram on i think your site it think(looked at so many)...tapped into the green and blue wires in front of the plug by the pcm...wired it to the three way switch...with leds with built in resistors and the capacitors going to the blue and green wires...when i did this, (remove #1 fan relay 'D'..
put jumper in D1 to D4 'holes')if i'm thinking right both fans came on at low speed...when i did this...(pull relay #3 relay 'J' [leave jumper in #1 relay D1 to D4]Jump J3 to J4)...both came on at high speed...so now i'm thinking i can maybe wire it at the fuse box at the relays and maybe it'll work...car ran really hot a few days ago and i couldn't get it to cool down past the half way mark on temp gauge...so i've got to do something and i'm confused as hell...lol...
Old 03-27-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by tintagel
If NO pull relay #3 relay 'J' [leave jumper in #1 relay D1 to D4]
Jump J3 to J4

i used the diagram on i think your site it think(looked at so many)...tapped into the green and blue wires in front of the plug by the pcm...wired it to the three way switch...with leds with built in resistors and the capacitors going to the blue and green wires...when i did this, (remove #1 fan relay 'D'..
put jumper in D1 to D4 'holes')if i'm thinking right both fans came on at low speed...when i did this...(pull relay #3 relay 'J' [leave jumper in #1 relay D1 to D4]Jump J3 to J4)...both came on at high speed...so now i'm thinking i can maybe wire it at the fuse box at the relays and maybe it'll work...car ran really hot a few days ago and i couldn't get it to cool down past the half way mark on temp gauge...so i've got to do something and i'm confused as hell...lol...
Your confused? After reading that paragraph, I'm confused.

If you used the diagram on my page, you should not be messing around in the fuse/relay box. There is absolutely no need to. There are no capacitors in the diagram and diodes are not needed if you use a switched power source for the LEDs.