LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Loud Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 11:13 PM

Loud Lifters

Ok, this isn't as simple as some may think...atleast I don't think so.

I purchased my 94 with 132k miles on it, around 136k I had a lifter fail, it got a flat spot, ate the cam, all that good stuff. I figured it was a good idea to purchase 16 OEM lifters. I did that, new cam and also put on some heads that had 5k miles on them because I got a steal of a deal. I soaked the lifters in oil even though I guess that isn't needed, but I did. I get everything together, start it, and whenever I start the car I always hear nasty lifter chatter or whatever for like 15 seconds...it never did this before my problems. Drive it around, like 1k miles later I go and do some 1/4 mile racing at an air strip, revving the car to 6k all day long, everything was fine. Week later I goto the track and on the #5 cylinder I hear some metal and such I bent the pushrod, knocked both rockers off and all that good stuff. Fixed that, and when I adjusted the rockers on them I did the spin method with 1/2 a turn, at one point I tried puting them at like 1 1/4 and they are still really noise, so I ended up re-adjusting them to 3/4 turn and left it so. Then like 5k miles later after doing some racing this weekend I park the car and everything sounds fine. I start the car to goto class and I get the nasty lifter sounds as they pump up or whatever but it doesn't go away. I pull the valve cover and sure enough, #5 rocker came off, minimal damage its fixed now. My lifters are still VERY noisy, I guess another thing I should mention is that I run 20w50 oil in the car at the moment...but it did it with 10w30 as well. I really don't like the fact that its loud on startup, I have never heard another one do that, specially on stock lifters. Also, I can hear them if I rev the car when im under the hood...so I really have no idea what to do. 1 1/4 turn has to be 2 much, I dunno, any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:27 PM

Re: Loud Lifters

when you did your cam did you add roller rockers? Believe it or not roller rockers are noiser that the stock pieces. You would think with rollers they would be quieter but they aren't.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 PM

i couldn't hear my valve train at all when stock. I still have stock lifters but have NSA roller rockers on my car now and valve train is audible from inside the car (especially when engine is cold).
Old 10-08-2004, 10:23 AM

oops, yeah, I guess I should have specified that, I have stock stamped rockers as well, my bad.