LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Looking for people who own(ed) PaceSetter LT's/Y-Pipe. (College budget setup)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:35 PM

Re: Looking for people who own(ed) PaceSetter LT's/Y-Pipe. (College budget setup)

I tried to hook up my EGR system. After trying to get my flex pipe on the header, I just decided to block the whole system off. The trans dipstick was in the way..

Rob
Old 12-18-2005, 07:58 PM

Re: Looking for people who own(ed) PaceSetter LT's/Y-Pipe. (College budget setup)

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I ran into the same issue with mine.... I had to take the header back off, heat up the EGR fitting with a propane torch, and bend it about an inch towards the firewall so it would clear the trans. dipstick.

Yes beware to bend that before or make sure ya install EGR fitting 1st before the header bc u can not do it with the header installed.I jus blocked mine off bc the motor comin back out.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff H
As for the EGR, it doesn't rob any power so I have no idea where you got that thought from.
Its still runnin, but not hooked up to the headers. I've been told by many mechanics that the car will run rough until I take the egr off and program out the codes. Somethin about its codes causing the pc to dump too much fuel into the engine. Whats happening fits what they described...
Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by wrastler
Its still runnin, but not hooked up to the headers. I've been told by many mechanics that the car will run rough until I take the egr off and program out the codes. Somethin about its codes causing the pc to dump too much fuel into the engine. Whats happening fits what they described...
I think you are correct in that there are some issues with not having a "functioning" EGR. Just get it tuned out and the car will be happy again .
Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by curly
I think you are correct in that there are some issues with not having a "functioning" EGR. Just get it tuned out and the car will be happy again .

Yea it turns out its not as much of a problem as I've been told....I discovered I had an arcin plug wire...the mechanic who installed the headers broke it and reinstalled it with some electrical tape It took 30min of bitchin about stupid stuff (not reinstalling my air intake correctly, the plug issue, not making a custom bracket to hold the ypipe steady, and the big one: the paint that dissappeared off my bumper while they had the car...) and the threat of legal action, but the owner finally gave in and bought me a new plug wire....I still cant get him to repaint my bumper.[/rant] Anyways, with the wire replaced I found out I no longer had the power loss issues, dont have the harsh vibrations at higher speeds/rpms and of course no popping in the exhaust when she warms up.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by camarolover20
Yes beware to bend that before or make sure ya install EGR fitting 1st before the header bc u can not do it with the header installed.I jus blocked mine off bc the motor comin back out.
Yeah, well I found that out the hard way. I had to take the header back off and trash a header gasket as a result. I have no choice though but to keep a functioning EGR and AIR system as the IL emissions are strict.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:03 PM

is there any option to keep catalytic converter(s) with these headers? I just can't bare the thought of getting caught w/o a cat.... doesn't happen much but for like two less horsepower i figure its not worth the risk...
Old 12-20-2005, 06:48 PM

You can have dual cats added into their y-pipe. That's what I plan on doing at some point in time.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
is there any option to keep catalytic converter(s) with these headers? I just can't bare the thought of getting caught w/o a cat.... doesn't happen much but for like two less horsepower i figure its not worth the risk...
I got a pair of these cats welded into my y-pipe:
http://216.178.81.107/iwwida.pvx?;it...0%201?comp=ppe
Old 12-21-2005, 08:53 AM

I plan on buying some pacesetter LT. Would one of you guys be willing to measure the clearance between the inside of the drivers side frame rail to the Outside diameter of the header collector. In other words how close does the collector come to the driver's side frame rail. Thanks a bunch for the installation tips and the measurement. The installation tips are what's so great about this board. Sounds like a weekend job.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:07 PM

I only had to take out the dipstick, drivers side went in from the top and pass went in from the bottom. easy install and make sure to get better gaskets than supplied.
Steve
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by INSANEZ
I only had to take out the dipstick, drivers side went in from the top and pass went in from the bottom. easy install and make sure to get better gaskets than supplied.
Steve
Yeah, but were they the emission's headers or the race headers? On the 96-97 emission's headers the AIR tube is so long it causes serious problems for installation on the passenger side. The EGR fitting sticks out and causes problems too.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:36 PM

i just finished putting in my pacesetters. i have a 97 and i got the headers w/ emmisions. it went in w/ some massaging. the egr and air fit perfectly. the only think is clearance on teh driver side is a little close.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:34 PM

im putting on some poly motor mounts at the same time when i put these headers on.... need to get clamps too
Old 12-22-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
im putting on some poly motor mounts at the same time when i put these headers on.... need to get clamps too
Mounts helped me with my "banging" under hard acceleration. You won't be sorry for doing that!

Quick Reply: Looking for people who own(ed) PaceSetter LT's/Y-Pipe. (College budget setup)