LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Long tube headers horror stories. . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 AM

Question Long tube headers horror stories. . .

I keep hearing these horror stories ( from local friends) about if you get long tube header there going to scrape the ground and come a loose and you going to have major problems blah blah.. Those of you that have them do you have any problem with yours? And are any of you from Michigan or any place were it get as cold as Detroit. . . We have some bad roads and I want to know how that effected your long tubes… and how is the ground clearance

I'm looking to get some headers and I don’t see why I should go with mid lengths over long tube if the reason I'm upgrading them is to gain horsepower and the long tube give you maximum RWHP. . .
Old 12-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Re: Long tube headers horror stories. . .

I have the Pacesetter Long tubes and I haven't scrapped them once. That says alot considering how steep of an angle my driveway sits at. Also, I added a pair of cats. to the y-pipe and those sit even lower then the header collectors and I haven't dragged those either.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:32 AM

I also have Pacesetter LT's and never scraped them either. Our roads where I live are horrible, they don't even get around to patching them until September, so all summer long there are potholes that could swallow up your car.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:34 AM

I had these concerns and decided on mid-tube headers. I went with the RK-sports which are nearly the same as the Arizona speed & marine.

Most people say you do occasionally bang y-pipes since they sit several inches lower than stock or mids or shorties. The other horror story I have heard is fitment. Many state that the collectors tend to be very close to the floorboards and banging occurs during engine torqueing. They say this is also a result of bad engine mounts.

If you have a lowered car you can forget about LT's.

I personally believe that all headers have some fitment issues ranging from the bolt holes being a tad off to pipes hitting steering shafts etc.
I had to do some creative thing to my mids to fit the way they should.

It seems to me that the coating on headers does not last forever, this goes for the coatings from Jet-hot as well. My car is garage kept and not driven a lot so I think they will last a good while. I would tend to think that Michican roads would really take a toll on headers in general. If it were me I might consider som stainless headers of some kind.

I can also vouch that mid-tube headers are a bitch to install cause its hard to tools on some of the bolts especially the passenger side. The LT's appear to be much easier to install on the engine cause the bolt access is much better.

Bottom line Lt's are slightly better than mid-tubes according to the forum, I just decided to give up a few ponies for the piece of mind of not banging pipes. My headers still have 1.75 primaries with a 2.50 collector and 2.5 y-pipe. I researched myself to death on this topic and have been happy with the decision so far.

Last edited by wrd1972; 12-02-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 AM

Only thing i've hit in almost 4 years of owning them are the collector flanges on the exhaust near the rear of the car on my true duals. My headers have NEVER touched the road. I did have that header collector on the drivers side smacking the floor board some, but a hammer took care of that

Mine are uncoated and I drive on salty roads like you. The rust is not that bad, and really is only surface rust. I do clean the underside of the car with lots of water if I drive it in the winter after snow though. My friends jet hots started rusting within a year of owning them. Yes, they will recoat it, but who the heck wants to do a header install every year ? lol

-Shannon
Old 12-02-2005, 09:16 AM

ive scraped my headers or Y pipe once really bad on a big speed bump and the roads here in greenville are crappy. regardless, i still want to lower my car about an inch. i scrape the air dam under the car once or twice a week but almost never scrape the exhaust. as for the install, at the time it was a little difficult, mostly just time consuming but no task involved was extremely complicated. I will install my next set of headers myself unless i just have a bunch of cash to spare.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 PM

I have Hooker Lt's with matching Y-pipe not really any proublems with car lowered about 2 in with 18" wheels with 35 series low pros no proublem besides for if im doing over 80 around side roads my house and hit a bumb that makes the car botom out just a little bit of the header/y-pipe flange hits. the only proublem i have about the headers was gitting them on. LOL I live in Michigan and drive in detroit too but not in winter just try to advoid the bumps
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM

My LT's scrap every now and then but my roads suck and the speedbumps are like speed hills, it's mainly the U-bolts on the slip fit Y-pipe that scrapes, I've detroyed a few of those lol...
Old 12-02-2005, 12:52 PM

I have Jet-hot longtubes on my car and i live in winnipeg manitoba where the streets are full of bumps, cracks and potholes , but so far so good i havent bottomed out yet.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 PM

No problems whatsoever with my Jet Hot's. Depends a lot on the driver and driving conditions though.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by SinisterSix
I keep hearing these horror stories ( from local friends) about if you get long tube header there going to scrape the ground and come a loose and you going to have major problems blah blah.. Those of you that have them do you have any problem with yours? And are any of you from Michigan or any place were it get as cold as Detroit. . . We have some bad roads and I want to know how that effected your long tubes… and how is the ground clearance

I'm looking to get some headers and I don’t see why I should go with mid lengths over long tube if the reason I'm upgrading them is to gain horsepower and the long tube give you maximum RWHP. . .
Don't worry, ive had my 95 Z in detroit with LT's and they didn't have a problem on the ****ty roads... Now the Y-pipe is a different story it's been smashed in a couple of spots because of the roads.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:58 PM

4 people in the car on crappy roads I will drag a little.... not enough to hurt anything.

Hell I have 2 flowmaster 40s under the car and they do fine.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 PM

I scrape alllllllllllllllllll ddddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Im dropped on eibachs. Bad idea! Im going to stock height manana!
Old 12-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by DontMixWithRice
I scrape alllllllllllllllllll ddddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Im dropped on eibachs. Bad idea! Im going to stock height manana!
lol damn
Old 12-02-2005, 02:25 PM

I have hooker long tubes with true duals on my 2" droped ss, never scrapes anything

Quick Reply: Long tube headers horror stories. . .