LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Long Tube guys, what setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 01:50 PM

Long Tube guys, what setup?

Hey guys, Im buying Hooker Long tubes with the Jet Hot coating, and Im thinking of buying a 3" x-pipe setup that will lead to Flow Tech Warlock Mufflers and then to 2 1/2" or 3" pipes that lead over the axle just for little extra muffle. I was just wondering what kind of setups everyone else with longtubes has and if mine sounds like a pretty decent setup? especially when it comes to the 2 1/2" pipes out of the 3" inlet muffler?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM

True duals are just a little too loud for me personally. I have Jet Hot longtubes the Hooker 3" Y-Pipe and the Hooker Catback on my car. The sound is very nice and it isn't so loud that I can't stand to drive it. My brother had true duals on his car and I really didn't like it. My advice is to go with a full exhaust if you use the car as your daily driver....if it isn't your daily driver then go for the true duals if you really want too. This is just my opinion and a lot of people tolerate true duals fine, but it was just too loud for my tastes.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:05 PM

Yeah I'm happy with my TPiS long tubes with 3" Y pipe and 3" exhaust, no cat and a cutout right behind where the cat USED to be...

Old 01-19-2004, 02:08 PM

I run Hooker Long Tubes, to Mufflex y-pipe to 3" Magnaflow cat-back. I'm VERY happy with it!

New sound clip will be available later today.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:24 PM

arent the warlocks the mufflers that have cutouts built into them? I would make sure they aren't to big to fit under the car, theres not much room. If you can keep drone out of the compartment, than you'll be fine, especially if you do highway driving(seems to be quieter, since rpms aren';t all over the place). Personall I would use cutouts instead of the warelocks, since the cutouts open farther up and let more exhaust out. even with my 3 inch cutouts on each pipe, they are no way near as loud as open headers are on my car, so with them so far back, they probably aren't that much louder, since gases will still exit through the muffled part. I've never heard them, so I can't say for sure, the X is very nice, changes the tone slightly and quietens the car down as well. I have 3 inch to 2.5 and I like it better than 3 inch all the way back, which was to loud for me. As far as going over the axle, this can be very expensive, the cheapest I found wanted 300 bucks to go over and thats it, as I already had the full exhaust to the rear end. If I were you find a quiet muffler then stop at the rear, the sound difference is not really quieter, at least I couldn't tell from inside the car. The sound was different on the outside, as in a different tone, and slightly louder behind the rear. I mean the sound is more combined when exiting from rear. What I did was buy some bendable pipe measureing 6 ft long and 2.5 diameter, I then attached it to my exhaust that stopped at the rear, and bent it around and brought it out from the bumpers. I was very surprised that it didn't make any real difference compared to side pipes or turndowns, at least not enough to go over the rear. The farther back you place mufflers, the quieter it is, and next to the trunk is a good place for them, if you do decied to go over
Old 01-19-2004, 08:24 PM

I'm happy with 3" Jet-Hots into a 3" Hooker Y pipe (did have to modify it slightly, it was off by about a half inch) and 3" back into a hooker aerochamber. It is quieter then I'd like, but still very loud WOT. Going to remove the cat and see if I can increase that exhaust note a bit
Old 01-20-2004, 04:59 AM

I'm happy with my Jet hot long tubes, custom y-pipe (that goes from 3" cutouts to dual 2.5" to a 3" flowmaster collector), and 3" B&B. Here are pics of the y pipe.

http://members.***.net/texanmutt/DSC02601.jpg
http://members.***.net/texanmutt/DSC02603.jpg
http://members.***.net/texanmutt/DSC02612.jpg

This is what dual cutouts sound like -

http://members.***.net/texanmutt/Texanmutt12.71.wmv
Old 01-20-2004, 06:07 AM

I think the biggest problem with a dual exhaust is the routing of the tubes and placement of the mufflers. There isn't a lot of room under our cars.

IMO, a single exhaust makes plenty of power and the routing of the exhaust is much simpler.

I'm running Jet Hot long tubes, 3" Mufflex y-pipe and a 4" Mufflex exhaust. I've got a 1/4 mile video on my webpage where you can hear it.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Banned

I've got the "full Hooker" exhaust. I've got the catback, y-pipe,and the longtubes. I love it.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:41 AM

I had the jet hot LTs and mufflex Y into a hooker cat-back on my 93 and it fit real nicely, the only mods to the Y-pipe were to notch the tranny crossmember on the drivers side and to clearance the DS tunnel right behind the crossmember on the pass side.
On my 97 I used the hooker coated LTs and the Stainless works alum coated Y into a flowmaster cat-back. The headers of course are the same and fit great, but the Y-pipe took some major mods to get it to work (I wish I had sent it back) anyway I had to turn the collectors about an inch to mate up with the collectors of the headers, this wouldnt have been bad had they not been welded in place on the Y. I also had to notch the Drivers side tranny crossmember and ovate the tube as it came under it. The pipe also was not set right in the driveshaft tunner and had to be tweaked to mate up with the cat-back I pipe. I would not reccomend the Stainless Works Y-pipe to anyone. It made my Mufflex Y look like a work of art!!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:30 PM

thanks

thanks to all of you guys that responded to my post. with your advice i think im just gonna go the hooker y-pipe to muffler to loudmouth way i had first thought about, it sounds good and still is capable of producing good power but staying to where i can drive it without becoming deaf. thanks again guys!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM

I'm going to be running Hooker longtubes with coating by swain technoogies (www.swaintech.com) into a mufflex Y-pipe with a flowtech 3" cutout and catless stock exhaust.

Although I am wondering wether or not I should buy a aftermarket catback (and keep a cat or not) and also I am wondering wether the Q-tec electric cutout is a good idea if I do get a catback (as opposed to just running the cutout open most of the time right after the y-pipe).

Last edited by MTL_Z28; 01-20-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:44 PM

I have Hooker LT's with a Mufflex y-pipe, 4" mufflex pipe, spintech muffler. Although the spintech muffler sounds a little odd, its not too bad, a fair mix of low tones and higher tones at WOT. The problems i ran into though, just recently, my cat on the driver side hit my brake line and punched a hole in it. The problem here is that the fuel line is also right there, and with cats running at around 350-400 degrees its enough to cause a fire/explosion if you break your fuel line.

im looking right now at estimates to get my fuel lines either rerouted or getting true duals to move the cats down farther. i do suggest not going overkill and doing true duals with glass packs or something silly. something like that will drive you nuts. if you want loud, get cutouts, then catbacks for the street.

if i had the choice, i wouldnt have installed that spintech or the 4" mufflex pipe as it is basically a sewer pipe that likes to bottom out. <B>HEED MY WARNING</B> on those brake/fuel lines, it can cause some serious ****. either get them moved or make sure your exhaust is pretty tight and not going to move up or down.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:49 PM

Hooker LTs with JET HOT coating with mufflex y-pipe and borla catback plate system Here is a sound clip http://www.madz28.com/chris847.mpg
Old 01-20-2004, 04:52 PM

i hope its just a bad recording but it sounds like your pipes are banging on something fierce. sounds like a rattle between revs

Quick Reply: Long Tube guys, what setup?