LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

a little white smoke from exhaust only sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:15 PM

a little white smoke from exhaust only sometimes

I am thinking a blew a head gasket, i have been overheating about once a month (fans and thermo and radiator and cap all checked out fine)

But any ways the other day i was parked and noticed some smoke comming from the back. I didnt really smell like coolant but my nose was kinda cloged anyways.

It had dont that once befor about a week ago but i havnt seen any smoke since

Do you think it is the head gasket?

How do i check for sure 100% before i spend 1500 getting the head done and valves replaced

I asked this tech at a local shop and he checked the radiator said the presure held but he said when he held the top radiator hose and pulled the throtle that the hose sucked in and said that pointed top a blown head gasket. ALso he said a comprestion check wouldnt tell for sure
Old 06-24-2004, 09:27 PM

Head gasket leaks can differ in severity. A leakdown test could probably tell you. There is also some test procedure you can use for detecting exhaust gases in the cooling system.
If you have been losing coolant, it would be a pretty positive indication of a leak.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:51 AM

the only time i am low on coolant is after it has overheated and i cant tell if i lost it all from it overheating or if it was overheating because i lost some coolant.

How much do you think one of those coolant test would cost and who should be able to do them?

Will a dead Cyl cause smoke to come out of the exhaust from the un burned fuel?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:19 AM

Check with your local auto supply. There may be a cheap way to test for CO2 in the coolant (test strips maybe?). A cylinder won't be dead, but will be burning the coolant also. That is where the white smoke comes from.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by shoebox
Head gasket leaks can differ in severity. A leakdown test could probably tell you. There is also some test procedure you can use for detecting exhaust gases in the cooling system.
If you have been losing coolant, it would be a pretty positive indication of a leak.
That is exactly how they found head gasket problems with my car. My cooling fan fuse blew one day, this allowed my car to overheat idling. After that, I started having cooling problems. Temp was doing stupid things. On the second trip to the dealership about it, they tested for exhaust gases in the coolant. Turned out the heads were warped a few thousands allowing coolant to transfer in-between passages and do some other wierd things.

Got both heads decked, new gaskets, and problem solved.
Hehe, nice to have a little more compression too!!!!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by ACE1252
That is exactly how they found head gasket problems with my car. My cooling fan fuse blew one day, this allowed my car to overheat idling. After that, I started having cooling problems. Temp was doing stupid things. On the second trip to the dealership about it, they tested for exhaust gases in the coolant. Turned out the heads were warped a few thousands allowing coolant to transfer in-between passages and do some other wierd things.

Got both heads decked, new gaskets, and problem solved.
Hehe, nice to have a little more compression too!!!!

How much total did it cost you?