LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lioyd Elliot or Advanced Induction heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:25 PM

It's like preaching to a deadhorse here. I show them an example my car untuned, small cam and it has 117mph with an auto and a loose conv but they overlook it so it doesn't pay to keep the argument up. If you want an awesome set of heads for an awesome price see Lloyd for $600-800 if you just want to spend a bunch more money see Phil.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by RealQuick
Here is the problem with your statement and with everyone elses that says Phil's heads make more power. The problem is:

Nobody has posted numbers from Phil with an off the shelf cam smaller than or equal to the cc306. The one that I saw (XE230/236 112LSA) was about 25rwhp more than me and he was running a stroker and a dyno tune.
Phil has several off the shelf cam runners. There are some listed on his website. And the off the shelf cams are at 400+.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Shon Herron
Phil has several off the shelf cam runners. There are some listed on his website. And the off the shelf cams are at 400+.
Show me a link or better yet, show me posts on here about it.

Dont get me wrong, Phil's work puts up good numbers, but with comprable cams/setups/tuning, its alot closer than 40rwhp.

Last edited by RealQuick; 02-16-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:53 PM

Show me a link or better yet, show me posts on here about it.

Dont get me wrong, Phil's work puts up good numbers, but with comprable cams/setups/tuning, its alot closer than 40rwhp.
I am sure you know this but not everyone post here....this is just a place to share, some people dont want to share....And with that said, I am sure there are a ton of people from all the porters that make great power and never share the results. For one, it is b/c most people call BS, true or not, that is what happens....

Here is Phil's site: http://www.advancedinduction.com/

Front page has some references (from his page):

Waswa's 95 6-Speed Z28 rolled 412rwhp through full exhaust with our EconoPort LT1 Head Package, a GM847 Hydraulic Roller, and a mail-order program on a stock 72,000 mile LT1 shortblock. Here is his dyno sheet. SAE corrected, the numbers were still 405rwhp & 365rwtq. With more tuning, we expect another 6-10rwhp. For updates, check out Waswa's site here. Thanks Waswa!

How does 411rwhp SAE and 370rwtq through 1-5/8" shorties and a full SLP catback from a stock LT1 shortblock with 98,000 miles, 91 octane MTBE fuel, and a 230/238-112 Hydraulic sound? Check out the Dyno Sheet HERE! You can also head over to Nick's 94Z28 site here. Thanks for the numbers Nick!
Old 02-16-2004, 02:35 PM

AI heads and Carolina Auto Masters Tune.

Get either Phil, or Jeff at C.A.M. to spec the cam.
I dunno about everyone else, but when it comes time for me to purchase a set of ported LT1 heads sometime in the next year or so, I'll be talking to Phil. I only intend to purchase ONE set of heads for this car, and I'd like them to be adequate when the time comes to build a stroker down the road. That is why I intend to buy the very best heads I can find the first time around.
Eric Buss (IRABuss) and Brian Santore (dobe) are both friends of mine. Both of their cars are AI-headed. Both run great and are totally streetable. Both are also C.A.M. tuned. Incidentally, both were also tuned by another shop before they were tuned at CAM. Both picked up quite a bit of power/streetability when Jeff retuned them.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Retired

Here is the problem with your statement and with everyone elses that says Phil's heads make more power. The problem is:

Nobody has posted numbers from Phil with an off the shelf cam smaller than or equal to the cc306. The one that I saw (XE230/236 112LSA) was about 25rwhp more than me and he was running a stroker and a dyno tune.

Most people with Lloyd's heads have cams like mine, or CC305, or hotcam, or XE224/230. Phil has guys running his custom cams. Of course we havent seen low numbers from him, most of his guys run the custom cams. Why is this hard for some people to understand? I pulled 383rwhp without a reprogram on the dyno. I could have squeezed out more with a dyno tune, but I am now installing a vortech S trim.

People who run small off the shelf cams are Lloyd's typical customers. He has had customers do 400rwhp+ with cc306 and bigger, but most of his customers dont run aggressive cams.

2 things:

Like I've said before, I've YET to see anyone under AI's heads produce under 390 rwhp, shelf cam or not. Like it was pointed out before, someone used a GM grind and made over 400 rwhp on AI heads.

Not knocking on LE, or anything, but if the customers are seeing lower numbers using shelf or small duration/lift grinds, then why were they told to use shelf/small grinds? Duh.

Mike
Old 02-16-2004, 03:25 PM

And another thing, everyone wants to say off the shelf grinds. A custom grind is not that much more in the whole scheme of this hobby. Especially when you want to be above the rest...with that said, i have a butt load in my heads and they flow crap. I sure wish I would have gotten some one else to do my heads....and for that matter, gotten a bigger cam while i was doing it...all the same money at this point.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:31 PM

I have a 93 LT1. I need a chip. I can't use LT1 Edit. I usually use Fastchip.com

For me its better to go with an off the shelf cam than a custom grind because the porgrammer will be more familiar with it.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:36 PM

Who did your heads Shon? I bet if you would have spent $600 and sent them to Lloyd your car would run 11's all day with the Hotcam. I wish it weren't so much trouble b/c I would put a Hotcam back in my car and run 11.80's at least with my current setup and the Hotcam. Later
Old 02-16-2004, 04:09 PM

asdf

Originally posted by GreenbeanZ28
Alright dumbass, heres my complete list of mods that I dont feel like cluddering up my ****ing sig with:

K&N, ported MAF, trick flow elbow, MSD digital 6, stock intake-gasket matched and knocked out for 58 MM Holley TB, AI heads, Comp Pro Mag 1.6 RR's, Comp R lifters, AI cam, SRP pistons, Eagle 6 inch rods, El cheapo Scat 9000 stock stroke crank, Jet Hot longtubes, dual 3 inch exhaust with Flowmaster One Chambers and flowtech X pipe, CAM dyno tune, Racetronix 255 intank pump, VFN fiberglass hood, BMR K-member, QA1's on the front, Moser 12 bolt, Mac torque arm, BMR extreme duty rear swaybar, Metco LCA's, Lakewood Panhard rod, Centerline Telstars, 26 x 10.0 ET Drags, Driver mod............I think thats most of it.

By the way, why the 383? Not think you can get it done with a stock stroke?

I spun a main bearing, had to get the block bored. Then I started going through all my options on what I could spend the money I had sittin around.........an all forged 383 was not much more than the 355 so I did it. That is the reason.......it wasnt because I "cant get it done with the stock stroke." Thanks.

-Ryan
Old 02-16-2004, 05:20 PM

there is no way to build a 383 with out changing the stroke of the 350. Please explain?
Old 02-16-2004, 05:33 PM

explain what? nothing is confusing about that.

Anyone have experience with that ET/MPH converter for altitude?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:56 PM

I choose Lloyd to do my head work after talking to several shops that I deal with. One shop actually stated that Lloyds heads were among the best that he had seen come through his shop. With all that said my motor will be done here shortly and put back on the same rollers the Russ's was on(Carolina Auto Masters) to see what we can get out of the LE heads with a custom cam. Though my car is going to be a 383 I do have a automatic with a rather big stall, it should equal out the HP #s pretty well. I pretty much have all the same bolt on's that Russ had so it should be interesting. I will keep yall posted on how every thing goes.

JK
Old 02-16-2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Robs97Z28
there is no way to build a 383 with out changing the stroke of the 350. Please explain?
I AM having a bigger crank put in also..........thought that you would asume that, or read in my sig about the new eagle crank that is going in.....

-Ryan
Old 02-16-2004, 08:51 PM

Remeber me Llyod? You set mine up for a SR a few months ago.I'll have some dyno & track #'s for ya, mid march with a decent size Bauer racing solid roller which is ground for the gas but should still make good n/a hp. The car is running as of now with a mail order tune as of now. Just gotta find a good place to get this thing dyno tuned. Hopefully I can represent for ya

Quick Reply: Lioyd Elliot or Advanced Induction heads?