LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

link to adjust rockers (i searched)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 02:25 PM

link to adjust rockers (i searched)

basically, I just need a quick link to adust my Rockers. I know I got to #1 TDC and then I can adjust intake and exhaust on #1 as well as 3 other intakes and 3 other exhausts. Then rotate crank shaft 360 and adjust more... I just need to confirm WHICH ones to adjust. PS, i'm in the middle of this NOW.

Jesse
Old 05-21-2003, 02:45 PM

Hiya,

Rocker Arm install

Check your pushrods for flatness on a piece of glass. Replace if necessary.

Use cam lube on both ends of the pushrods. Ensure the pushrods are clean (the middle should have no obstructions) and in good shape. If you are using guide plates, your pushrods must be hardened (‘94 and some ‘95 models have them). Install all the pushrods in the same places they came from. Make sure they seat in lifter sockets.

If you have guide plates and rocker studs that you have not installed yet, do it now. Apply thread sealant to all the rocker arm studs before installing. Torque to 50 lb. ft. (spec does not change if you are using 3/8" or 7/16" studs).

Apply cam lube to the valve stems (the exposed end of the valve at the top of the springs), the pushrod-rocker contact, and all other moving areas of the rocker arms. Some performance manuals advise pouring some oil on the rockers also.

Install all the rocker arms. Do not tighten the adjusters just yet.

Now it is time to adjust your rockers. You will need to be able to turn the crank (in the clockwise direction) to do these adjustments. Turn the crankshaft until the cast arrow on the crankshaft hub is in the 12 o’ clock position and number 1 cylinder is at TDC. Watch number 1 cylinder valves as the crankshaft hub arrow approaches 12 o’ clock position. If a rocker moves as the arrow moves to position, the engine is in the number 6 firing position. The crankshaft must then be turned one more time to reach cylinder number 1 firing position.

At this position, exhaust rockers 1, 3, 4, and 8 can be adjusted as can intake rockers 1, 2, 5, and 7. While spinning the pushrod with your fingertips, tighten the rocker down until you feel resistance in the pushrod - this is zero lash. Tighten the adjusting nut on the rocker arm an additional 1/2 - 1 turn (or whatever you think is right).

Turn the crank 360 degrees (clockwise) until the crankshaft hub is at 12 o’ clock again. Adjust exhaust rocker 2, 5, 6, and 7 and intake rockers 3, 4, 6, and 8 as you did in the step above.
Using the original gasket, or a new one, install the valve covers. Torque the bolts down to 100 lb. in. (Note : There may be interference from the rocker arms - the covers can be slightly modified (cut) to make the rockers fit)

Taken from

http://www.fierolt1.com/lt1_CamHeadinstall.htm

Near the bottom, reinstall section, step 7.

HTH

[edited for formatting]
Old 05-21-2003, 02:48 PM

here's my shortened guide:

1 - Write down the firing order
2 - Find TDC for #1
3 - Adjust valves for #1
4 - Turn crank 90*
5 - Go to next firing cylinder
6 - repeat steps 3-5

Start the car, then dial them in 100% while the car is on.

Ryan
Old 05-21-2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by 96-speed
here's my shortened guide:

1 - Write down the firing order
2 - Find TDC for #1
3 - Adjust valves for #1
4 - Turn crank 90*
5 - Go to next firing cylinder
6 - repeat steps 3-5

Start the car, then dial them in 100% while the car is on.

Ryan
Damn it, no shortened guides allowed!!! Must be long and semi confusing to be any good .
Old 05-21-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by wile2k
Damn it, no shortened guides allowed!!! Must be long and semi confusing to be any good .
Then just go to my Tech Page where several different methods of adjusting them are discussed.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:32 PM

IMO the only way to get it right is with the motor running. Go to your local parts store, they should sell these nice little clips that fasten on the rocker arm to keep the oil from shooting out of the p/r. Loosen till it clicks, tighten till it stops clicking, then go 1/4 to 1/2 turn, pretty simple. you still have to use the TDC method to get em in the ballpark though, to get motor started.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:39 PM

Used the above method and got them done. Thanks for the assistance
Old 05-23-2003, 10:47 AM

Talking

Originally posted by wile2k
LOL!

I don't know what got into me, I won't let it happen again though!