LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lets see your LT1 Retrofits.. and how the heck do you guys clean em up

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Lets see your LT1 Retrofits.. and how the heck do you guys clean em up

Here is a shot of my engine bay from today on my '69 Camaro Lt1 swap.. and man. .It's a ****ing mess. What are you guys who have done retrofits doing to "clean" things up, and let see some pictures as I'm in need of some inspiration.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM

well first thing you can do is get the alternator relocation kit from Speedinc they have one to retain p/s, and one to retain both a/c and p/s, or one that deletes both, this will open up your options for valve covers, you will then be able to run short or tall valve covers center bolt or perimeter style like the 87 and earlier sbc's. Seems like all you need to do is start hiding your n20 and fuel lines, and hide the factory harness
Old 06-27-2010, 03:43 PM

I would start by cleaning the air filter!!

My 94.

Last edited by Stl94LT1; 06-27-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 PM

A lot of it on the ones I've done is just taking time and routing wires and lines very carefully, bundling what you can together.

IE: I see TONS of random wires everywhere, and N20/Fuel lines just lying on top of things. Route all your wires together and bundle it all nicely inside some simple black loom. Clean your hoses with simple green and maybe apply some ArmorAll to them. Re-mount and re-route your N20 somewhere else.

Most of the "nice" engine bays are when people just take their time with what I listed above. Routing the wires, vacuum lines, fuel lines, N20 lines, etc and keeping them neat and tidy.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:41 PM

Here is a link for my 1980 swap:

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthre...t=23532&page=3

I tried to make the most of it look like a factory install, but I did hide the harness for the front lights and as much of the engine harness as possible.

I don't have NOS (dang it!) so I don't have alot of those challenges.

Looks like a fun project, drove it yet?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 AM

Thanks all for the responses!

Originally Posted by mrbadlt1
well first thing you can do is get the alternator relocation kit from Speedinc they have one to retain p/s, and one to retain both a/c and p/s, or one that deletes both, this will open up your options for valve covers, you will then be able to run short or tall valve covers center bolt or perimeter style like the 87 and earlier sbc's. Seems like all you need to do is start hiding your n20 and fuel lines, and hide the factory harness
A relocation kit would be great, I wouldn't mind getting the matching valve cover on (the edelbrock one) and that would help a fair bit. I also already have an AC delete but would like to delete my PS as well. The only issue i've run into is alot of the alternator relocation kits hit the crossmember on a first gen camaro but I will check out speedinc's. The N20 I'm not to worries about I have another intake that I'm in the process of plumbing for a direct port kit so thats only temporary. It's all the "other" crap. That just bogs makes everything a mess. Mainly the factory harness, and all the hoses. The way my return/fuel lines are set up there isn't much I can do about the steel braided fuel lines either. It used to be alot cleaner when I had my regulator on the firewall but that's not legal (won't pass tech @ the track) so I had to relocate it.

Originally Posted by Stl94LT1
I would start by cleaning the air filter!!
heh.. ya that defiantly needs to get done.

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
A lot of it on the ones I've done is just taking time and routing wires and lines very carefully, bundling what you can together.

IE: I see TONS of random wires everywhere, and N20/Fuel lines just lying on top of things. Route all your wires together and bundle it all nicely inside some simple black loom. Clean your hoses with simple green and maybe apply some ArmorAll to them. Re-mount and re-route your N20 somewhere else.

Most of the "nice" engine bays are when people just take their time with what I listed above. Routing the wires, vacuum lines, fuel lines, N20 lines, etc and keeping them neat and tidy.

ya, that's the issue i'm having is the factory harness I have plugs going everywhere I tried to loom up as much as I can but it's just a spaghetti mess.

I would like to try to run some "vette" covers to hide everything, but because because I have AN fittings welded directly onto my fuel rails I'm not sure it will fit without some modification. I've been trying to keep my eye out for a used set for cheap before I destroy a new one. As far as the basic cleaning up stuff ya that needs to get done to. I don't have fender wells so things get dirty fast.

Originally Posted by OneShoe50
Here is a link for my 1980 swap:

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthre...t=23532&page=3

I tried to make the most of it look like a factory install, but I did hide the harness for the front lights and as much of the engine harness as possible.

I don't have NOS (dang it!) so I don't have alot of those challenges.

Looks like a fun project, drove it yet?
Thanks, ya I've been driving and fixing it for a couple years now. I am finally at a point now where the retrofit is pretty much done everything works except a couple little things that I should hopefully have wrapped up this week. So I'm finally thinking about going back threw the it all to clean it up.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 AM

I would agree with everyone, the look is mostly achieved by "cleaning up" as much of the wiring and accessories as possible. Here are some pics of my swap (96' LT1 into 72' C10 P/U) it is not completey finished, but it will give you an idea....

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 AM

the vette covers would work from what i can see of your setup. you would have to get the wiring harness down around the back of the intake though.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM

Vette guys have an easier job cleaning, so much more room.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jazsun
Vette guys have an easier job cleaning, so much more room.
don't hate..lol
Old 06-28-2010, 12:34 PM

I'll try to snap another pic but my fuel lines run under the fuel rails. Basically at the end of the fuel rail there are an bungs welded directly onto to them.I might be able to go out backwords and above.. hmm I'd have to think about that.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Well not to be harsh- but a lot could be cleaned up by not running wires where-ever and take some time to see how you can run in together and in with the factory wiring.

I would also take some time to make a couple brackets for things- zip-ties and electricians tape holding things isn't going to gain any points for a 'clean look.'

The biggest thing that pops out at me is the nitrous stuff. Looks like the nitrous genie just took a dump on top of the motor and thats where the stuff landed. Move your solenoids over to the passenger side where you are going to make a bracket to hold everything-(hint hint). Then take your feed lines run them alongside your radiator hoses inside some tubing and then mount them to the underside of the intake tube with some 90* fittings if you have too. Just doing that alone will do wonders in your engine bay.

Other than that just buy a black loom kit from Summit and start consolidating wiring into some bigger looms. You should be able to get everything into a 3/4" loom on both sides of the intake with the wires entering and exiting where they need to.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Engine bay of my dad's 65 Vette:

Name:  65_Corvette07_001x2.jpg
Views: 2250
Size:  104.4 KB
Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Name:  DSC00536.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  88.7 KB

my 99 s10
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Here's mine in my '71 Nova

Name:  DSC_0682.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  151.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0681.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  159.3 KB

Quick Reply: Lets see your LT1 Retrofits.. and how the heck do you guys clean em up