LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Re: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
The only way this debate is going to be settled is for somebody to perform a double blind experiment. How this works is you have one party that you designate as the "control group," (Ai or LE, flip a coin), and you assign a person who has no idea what the variables of the experiment are to observe the results of what takes place. You then get a second person and have them do the same thing with the other companies' heads. (Once again, Ai or LE, whichever didn't get picked in the coin toss.) Neither Ai or LE are to be informed in advance that there is any testing taking place, therefore eliminating as a variable the opportunity/possibility of "doctoring" up a special set of heads.

It is double blind because neither Ai or LE know their heads are being tested, and the people observing the dyno results don't know they're dealing with Ai or LE heads and therefore have no predetermined expectations. This eliminates bias. This of course would have to be orchestrated with the precision of a CIA operation, completely under the radar screen, and by one person who was willing to buy a set of heads from both companies. For the data to remain absolutely pure, the person conducting the experiment would have to somehow find a way to supply both blind observers with the same shortblock. The only way that we could eliminate deviation in the short block assembly as a variable was if the shortblock was supplied by a third party who had no prior knowledge of the other parameters in the experiment. You can see where this really begins to become complicated, relying too heavily on the "good faith" and "trust" of all parties involved.

Taking into account the number of people who would need to be involved in the network, even if the one masterminding it all was clever and resourceful enough to pull off an experiment this elaborate and produce completely unbiased and empirical data, one question would still remain: are you going to believe it?
Who would cover the cost?

This is almost as bad as a Ford vs GM event. No matter who comes out on top, there will always be a group that believes otherwise. If that wasn't the case, everyone would be driving a 03/04 Cobra

Understand?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:06 AM

This is ridiculous... does the LS1 world have this problem.. can multiple head porting companies coexist there w/o bitching all the time?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
This is ridiculous... does the LS1 world have this problem.. can multiple head porting companies coexist there w/o bitching all the time?
The LS1 world has problems of their own. The difference is they actually have aftermarket heads(dart) that kick *** out the box. We really don't have that option. While the bigger AFRs with the cnc are pretty good there is def. room for improvement and may not be a good option for a small street motor. What I find funny is that people in the lt1 world don't seem to realize that these are just sbc heads with a funny cooling system(and a crappy distributor setup). There are so many quality head porters out there that can do these heads its just not funny. What small differences there are any head porter with any salt can make adjustments if they feel needed.

but..like I said before. For 95% of the people here if your looking at LE or AI..flip a coin. You will get results your happy with from either head. It was stated before that most will not do the right supporting mods to really make a difference so chances are you will get very close results out of either head. Find which company you feel comfortable with and buy em.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SAR2K
Anyone in this thread design F1 or Top Fuel cams?
Steve...
Speaking of Arty...while your over there today talking about my next setup ....ask him he he wants some tips from someone who is obviously the "best cam guy in the world" for his next F1 cam design.

Last edited by 95Bird; 05-24-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

I even have to laugh at that one lol
Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 AM

So...what point is trying to be conveyed here?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by A/G
Blind is to eliminate (or reduce to a aceptable minimum) the placebo effect. Machines as far as I know, do not suffer from that effect.
That's too bad. I was hoping to convince my lawn mower that it was a tractor so I wouldn't have to push it anymore.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by A/G
This is NOT how a double-blind test is conducted. 'Double' involves repetiton
Read it and weep:

In a double-blind experiment, neither the individuals nor the researchers know who belongs to the control group and the experimental group. Only after all the data are recorded (and in some cases, analyzed) do the researchers learn which individuals are which. Performing an experiment in double-blind fashion is a way to lessen the influence of the prejudices and unintentional physical cues on the results (the placebo effect, observer bias, and experimenter effect). Random assignment of the subject to the experimental or control group is a critical part of double-blind research design. The key that identifies the subjects and which group they belonged to is kept by a third party and not given to the researchers until the study is over.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_blind_experiment

Originally Posted by A/G
though two, one from each* end of the spectrum would be ideal.
...adding yet a whole other set of variables to consider.

Originally Posted by A/G
You refer to not "doctoring" up or "no predetermined expectations" or "bias", but then conclude with this, "relying too heavily on the good faith and trust of all parties involved." Geez!
Quoting out of context again are we A/G? Since I'm in a good mood today and don't really feel like taking the gloves off, I'll just give you a hint: "Devil's Advocate."

Originally Posted by A/G
A (or each) car would be set up with a head from one or the other. After testing, heads are swapped. After testing, the heads are swapped back to starting combo. Final testing is conducted to verify original test results. That is a double test. No need to be blind. Blind is to eliminate (or reduce to a aceptable minimum) the placebo effect.
Self-contradiction happens often but rarely does it occur all in the same post. First you say that a double-blind experiment is about "repetition", and now you're saying it's about "eliminating the placebo effect." At least you got one of them right. Once again, I refer you to the link at the top.

Originally Posted by A/G
Machines as far as I know, do not suffer from that effect.
Bingo! It's not the machines we're worried about here it's the people. In an experiment such as this, there is alot at stake for the parties involved. Namely, their ego's. How much credibility are you willing to lend to findings supplied by an Ai customer who tested a rival company's heads? Or vice-versa with an LE customer? As an example: do you think an Ai customer is going to be particularly pleased to discover that a set of LE heads ended up making 20-30 more RWHP than the set of heads he paid $300 more for? The whole purpose of a double-blind test is to eliminate considerations like these from the equation. That's why I brought up the point that "good faith" and "trust" would need to be relied on for the test results to remain pure, and then in lieu of that begged the question, "would you believe it?"

Originally Posted by hsyr
This is almost as bad as a Ford vs GM event.
LE=GM and Ai=Ford
or
Ai=GM and LE=Ford

Yep, pretty much. You know I was thinking: wouldn't it be fun to send an F-body over to Ford to let them do some testing on it?

Yeah, I thought so...
Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

I am starting to see the entertainment value of other people bitching at each other, no wonder this has so many hits.

I seriously think we could get a unbiased dyno test setup, the real key would have to be the dyno being able to make repeatable results.

Bret
Old 05-24-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by A/G
I thot we acknowledged the dyno is not what we race? Why then, make it the test results dependant upon it? Use a dyno for testing changes, and verify it on the track. It is no different that what you have posted in the past, flow numbers do not win races. Why waiver from that logical reasoning/understanding, Bret?
Because its easier to dyno test a car to get the hp/tq curves and then swap heads and do it again (whether is on an engine dyno or in a car on a chassis dyno). Testing at the track has too many variables. I like the idea of just sending a stage 2 head to Golen and for him to test them on an engine on his engine dyno. Use a random off the shelf cam ( cc306 as an example) and lets se how the heads do. Also verify flow numbers of each set of heads there. Thats the easiest way.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by A/G
I thot we acknowledged the dyno is not what we race? Why then, make it the test results dependant upon it? It is no different that what you have posted in the past, flow numbers do not win races. Why waiver from that logical reasoning/understanding, Bret?
Is that really a question? The engine alone or heads alone don't win races either. We also acknowledged that supporting mods and car setup has as much to do with "winning races" as the power the engine makes. A comparison on a dyno has less variables then a car to car comparison. Make no mistake this comparison isn't about flow numbers or excuses. It really just comes down to who's package makes more power, does it not? Ai guys pride themselves on having faster cars because they spent the additional money, and have the setup to go faster...we(well most of us here) also agree that as far as i know there hasn't been anybody that built a max effort LT1 with a LE package. An engine dyno comparison would even the odds some IMO, since both packages would use the same dyno, same shortblock and supporting mods as well. This could start with an off the shelf cam, or someone could tell both porters what they want(same exact thing from both), same estimated Peak power/redline etc, and get Ai and LE to spec it out for them. Then we compare, whats so difficult to understand about this.

Seriously by the sounds of it, there may be people that honestly think that a dyno comparison woudn't make sense. I mean if the packages are spec'd to do the same thing it should be a great comparison, and pretty easy to see which package would be the victor of the two with the results.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:44 PM
A/G

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Because its easier to dyno test a car to get the hp/tq curves and then swap heads and do it again....
What is more important ease, or validity?

Testing at the track has too many variables.

Not in an established race car it does? Are you denying the repeatability of established cars? If you caught my previous statement regarding ending test with original variable, this would hopefully address any weather conditions variables in between head change time lapses.

I like the idea of just sending a stage 2 head to Golen and for him to test them on an engine on his engine dyno.... Also verify flow numbers of each set of heads there. That's the easiest way.

As I noted and alluded in response to Bret, dyno is great for one phase of testing protocol, but needs to be verified on track. Without track verification, any gain on the dyno is pointless. Why not cut to the chase and perform what is considered the bottom line, track performance. Ever hear the question; do we race dynos, or FTM, flow benches? Again, you want ease....? Hell, you want easy and cheap? Let's stick with gossip.

Now, if you are choosing dyno because the preferred (read more accurate) choice is not available or feasible, that is different.

Last edited by A/G; 05-24-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM

Man, all this talk and no one can get a test going?

Im just getting sick of reading al this.

Cant wait to get my LE2 heads that I just got today on the car and go out and have some fun.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by A/G
Double implies swapping of product or participants being tested.
You're not grasping the concept, so I'll try to further simplify it for you. Double-blind implies that neither the person(s) doing the observations nor the entities being observed have been given any clues about the nature of the experiment.

Blind Observer+Blind Observee= double-blind

It has nothing to do with the number of heads involved in the experiment, nothing to do with the number of people observing the results, nothing to do with how many different cars they're tried on, and nothing to do with how many times you repeat the test. Not that these things don't have their place, but about all they're good for is forming statistics.

Originally Posted by A/G
In addition, your quote of that link does not address the 'double' in double-blind.
LOL, I'll let you argue that one out with Wikipedia, in addition to any behavioral science book ever written.

Originally Posted by A/G
It is also not about the testers, it is about the testee.
Hopefully someday it'll dawn on you...
Originally Posted by A/G
If you are concerned about integrity of individuals (or team) doing the testing, whom are you gonna trust to make sure they are not cheating?
You trust the fact that, if the experiment was conducted the way it was supposed to be, they were blind to what variables were the focus of it. What they do not know, they cannot influence.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by A/G
What is more important ease, or validity?
At this point...ease since we cant get it going ayway

Testing at the track has too many variables.

Not in an established race car it does? Are you denying the repeatability of established cars? If you caught my previous statement regarding ending test with original variable, this would hopefully address any weather conditions variables in between head change time lapses.
"race cars" can actually be very consistent....no denying that here. You know anyone with a racecar that is willing to set this up and go thru all the work of tearing down his/her racecar during racing season (i.e. trying to get this comparo going soon). Are you denying that you can predict how a car will peform by looking at the power/tq curve? Area und the curve, peaky, falling on it face,... these are all common terms that will help show a comparo between the two sets...and then we also have who makes the most hp/tq to consider

I like the idea of just sending a stage 2 head to Golen and for him to test them on an engine on his engine dyno.... Also verify flow numbers of each set of heads there. That's the easiest way.

As I noted and alluded in response to Bret, dyno is great for one phase of testing protocol, but needs to be verified on track. Without track verification, any gain on the dyno is pointless.
I disagree completely here. Are you saying that the hp/tq profiles will change depending on the suspension and drivetrain setup? Since they dont, track numbers dont mean that much. Hypothetical - If the heads are so evenly matched based on hp/tq profiles from the dyno (i.e. same peak hp/tq & same rpm and pretty much the same tq curve, they should perform the same when you bolt a tranny and chassis to it Dont put the cart befoe the horse here...typically a engine gets dynod to see how hp/tq looks, then they can choose their stall, gear, know when to shift, etc once its in the car. This is done before going to the track when getting the car setup. Horse = dyno, cart = track

Now, if you are choosing dyno because the preferred (read more accurate) choice is not available or feasible, that is different.
Dyno is definitley easier because of less variables. No dedicated racecar will ever be able to be used fo tis comparo. Yes a true racecar that launches the same everytime and shifts the same everytime wil be good, but they need to be run on the same day with the same DA. Atleast with a dyno there are tons of unbiased shops that have engine dynos and for a fee will do the work.

Quick Reply: LE2 setup vs. AI 190cc