LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Just bought headers...should I run a Y pipe exhaust or duals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Just bought headers...should I run a Y pipe exhaust or duals?

I just bought the Pacesetter Long Tube Quick Trip headers with the armor ceramic coating. My question is whether or not I should get the "Y" pipe and run the exhaust like that...or whether I should run the duals all the way back to twin mufflers? I have been hearing different things about each. Will one or the other hurt my performance...or make it better? What do you guys think?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM

What are your goals? If you are going to daily drive the car, my recommendation would be to run a Y-pipe and full exhaust.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by white97T/A
What are your goals?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by white97T/A
What are your goals? If you are going to daily drive the car, my recommendation would be to run a Y-pipe and full exhaust.
This will be my daily driver when summer comes again...but I'm just looking for it to perform and sound the best it can. I already have a "Y" pipe with flowmasters. But I could run the duals too...if I wanted too. I can get custom exhaust pipes made up for a reasonable price. Does that help explain better? I want whatever will help my car run the best...but what is best for it too...
Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

True Duals will get you minimal gains (1-2hp) over a y-pipe and a 3" catback at your current power levels. Not worth the trouble unless you're aiming for 450rwhp or more (at which point it would start to make a worthwhile difference).

The Flowmaster catback for F-bodies makes less horsepower than the stock exhaust. Ditch it for a Magnaflow -- that'll get you 20hp, maybe more.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Not worth the trouble unless you're aiming for 450rwhp or more (at which point it would start to make a worthwhile difference).

I also agree that its not woth the trouble where your at now, however if the sound has any play in the decision, you cantbeat true duals, plus if you go that route now, no need to change the exh. setup again later if/when you do upgrade the heads/cam.

I loved the true duals on my Iroc for a while, but I drove it everyday through the summer also and it does wear on you. goin down the road is fine, very cool. but try cruising through alot of side streets and it'll drive you nuts.

totaly diff. story if its your weekend bruiser. then the louder the better.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
if the sound has any play in the decision, you cantbeat true duals
Matter of opinion. I'll take my Corsa catback over generic true duals for sound any day of the week.

That said, if there were an F-body-compatible true-dual Corsa catback (like there is for Corvette), I'd want that instead.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 PM

So performance wise it doesn't make much difference? Because I already have the Flowmasters on there. But I was thinking running the duals back to a pair of good quality performance mufflers would give a pretty wicked sound...
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yungin' w/a z28
So performance wise it doesn't make much difference? Because I already have the Flowmasters on there. But I was thinking running the duals back to a pair of good quality performance mufflers would give a pretty wicked sound...
It doesn't make much of a difference at your power level. You need a good 150 more horsepower before it even begins to matter.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM

if its a daily driver i would suggest ory into a magna-flow. being loud is cool, until it gets annoying-and it will
Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
if its a daily driver i would suggest ory into a magna-flow. being loud is cool, until it gets annoying-and it will
^^^
I loved my SLP loudmouth... until I put it behind a 383.

I have a hooker catback behind my pacesetter LT headers and pacesetter Y-pipe. From what I remember (car hasn't ran in a long time lol) it sounded GREAT. go with a hooker or a magnaflow.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM

so you already have dual flowmasterS? or SINGLE flowmaster with a ypipe?

JakeRobb, your not allowed to have an opinion that doesnt agree with me.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
I'm not so much into LOUD... I like a nice "clean" sound. If duals are going to be ridiculously loud...I won't do it. However...dual exhaust has always appealed to me. But I was told that the duals might bring out my cam a little more. Is this true? My cam doesn't have a lot of "lope" to it right now, but you can hear it.

Last edited by yungin' w/a z28; 01-08-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yungin' w/a z28
I'm not so much into LOUD... I like a nice "clean" sound. If duals are going to be ridiculously loud...I won't do it. However...dual exhaust has always appealed to me. But I was told that the duals might bring out my cam a little more. Is this true? My cam doesn't have a lot of "lobe" to it right now, but you can hear it.
Y-pipe vs H-pipe vs X-pipe vs separate pipes will affect what it sounds like, but assuming that you're not flow-limited, only mufflers (and cutouts) will affect how loud it is.

Corsa (my personal favorite; forgive me) is quiet at idle and cruise, pleasantly aggressive when accelerating, and only a little loud at WOT. Magnaflow is similar, but a little louder at all times and with a different character. If "clean" sound is your priority, what in the heck are you doing with Flowmasters?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:51 PM

I'd run a Y Pipe. Unless it's more of a track car and you have another car you drive more.

Quick Reply: Just bought headers...should I run a Y pipe exhaust or duals?