LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related
View Poll Results: Should I Buy an cheap F-Body and restore it?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Junkyard Rebiuld, Is it worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:57 PM

Question Junkyard Rebiuld, Is it worth it???

Before I go into discussion of my question, I would like to inform that I'm quite NEW to posting on the boards, although I read them quite often... don't ask who I am, none of ya know me .

I also would like to inform that I didn't find a "General Topic" Discussion so I just figured Advanced Tech would be closer to this topic than anything else. Sorry if I posted on an innappropiate board...

Anyway I'm 18 and for the last three years I've wanted a 4th Gen Camaro or Firebird and just when I get CLOSE... crap comes up...
Not to long ago I was sitting in our car and when I just sit, random and crazy thoughts enter and most of them leave my mind. One came up however, What if I could find a cheap 4th Gen Camaro at a Junkyard, or something no more than 1k over AutoTrader and invested in a long-term restoration process? It sounds educational in ways but I also don't want to find myself perminantly driving a half-complete car...

I've yet to even look into Cheap 4thGen FBodies that would require restoration and am REALLY not sure if they're even out there, (although it would seem to logic that they are...) So I really don't know what all I'd have to replace... but I am prepared for heavy engine work, if not replacement...

I just want insight, ideas, what to look for, whats possibal and whats not, and if this is a good idea...

It would also help if I could get a list of sites that can help me with this project provided I go through...

If ya got stuff to flame on me however for just thinking this idea, then give me $10,000 and I'll give you a better idea ...

Thanks Guys for listening
Old 12-04-2003, 10:19 PM

-btw-

btw...Checked autotrader... looking pretty bleak as far as dirt cheap F-Bodies, heck even did a nationwide search...

Any advice on where to search and find one would also be greatly appreciated...

thanks
Old 12-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Doesnt seem like there are any bites on this here, this will get more help in a normal tech forum. Lets try Lt1 Tech for now, transfering-
Old 12-05-2003, 01:31 PM

I actually bought my 97 camaro convt wrecked off ebay 2 years ago. LOL, it was the only way I could afford it. Ebay is a great site to look. I've seen camaros with no engines, bad engines, wrecked, salvage titles from recovered theft. Another site I look at from time to time for camaros and firebirds is TRICOUNTYAUTO.com. You could just call around your local salvage yards also, see what they have, how bad they are. I bought ALL my parts to fix mine back up from ebay as well. Another good site is fbodyparts.com. Sells camaro/vette/firebirds and parts all the time on ebay. Good luck, and keep your head up. You'll find one for you, just don't give up.

Last edited by camaro 22; 12-05-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:08 PM

I did something kind of like this. I waited to find a car with a bad motor to start a project. If you buy a wrecked car, you will spend a lot of the money you saved making the car like stock again. If you buy a car with a bad motor, you get a chance to upgrade parts that you would end up doing anyway.

I found a '95 z28 with a body/paint/interior in great shape but it had blown a head gasket and the heads were taken off and the guy gave up on working on it. I paid $2000 for it and hauled it and all of the parts home. I spent a lot of time working on it. It now has a new forged internal 355, comp cam, freshened heads (4 angle valve job/manley pro flos), RR's, long tubes, etc. and 200 hp direct port shot going on in a week or two. I also have a new 700r4 built to take 600 hp and a high stall converter. I even got a deal on a set of y2k vette wheels and tires, so it looks great.

I am 20 and this was my first car I have worked a lot on. I learned a ton, and had a good time. I have about $8500 in the car so far. I tried to limit my budget to what I think I could sell the car for. I might have went a little over, but I have a great car for the money. I say if you are looking for a car that has problems, make sure the problems are things you wanted to upgrade anyway.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:16 PM

In my honest opinion, restore something classic. A great long term project would be a 1st generation Camaro or a '70 Chevelle SS, for example. There are enough fairly decent priced 4th generation F-bodies out there that if you take your time and wait, the right one will pop up in excellent, 100% original, low mile condition.

Plus, your return on your investment in a classic car most certainly would APPRECIATE, as opposed to depreciate or even stay even/steady. Take for example my '78 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale. This car is no where near a collector car, but to me it's still something classic and unique. To restore it would cost thousands, though.

members.aol.com/joecool72/78olds.jpg

I wanted to restore it, but some friends of mine told me to watch www.collectorcartraderonline.com, for example, and just look and see what pops up in better, 100% original condition. Well, I found one exactly like it, 18 miles from me one day. It's a '79 Delta 88, 350 V8 Rocket, one owner, ONLY 27k miles, and showroom new. Only paid $3500 for it, too!

http://members.aol.com/joecool72/88/delta2.jpg

Either way, good luck!
Old 12-05-2003, 07:50 PM

Whoa!!! $3,500?!... good lord christ great deal man!!
Thanks for the advice yall... if ya want to keep posting reference sites...
get back to ya... btw nice rides all..

thanks
Old 12-05-2003, 07:55 PM

i have found em as low as 3-5k...if it was taken care of the mileage shouldnt be too big a deal
Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 PM

Honestly I wouldnt bother restoring a newer car, not really worth it. Prices are still kinda high for parts and why go through all the trouble for a car you can buy already together for about $5000. Go with something older if you can.

Myles
Old 12-05-2003, 08:21 PM

My advice to you my friend is save some money, borrow some money or something else of this nature and buy a car in good shape. Trust me, they're out there. I paid $6600 for my '95 Z M6 with t-tops and everything a couple of years ago. I also recently bought a '93 Z28 A4 with a bad motor for $1900. I went through a lot and a lot of work (myself) to make this car nice again. It may seem as if you could put it back on the road fairly cheap but there's always this little thing and that little thing that show up in the process and these little things make up the majority of the expenses. It's really not worth spending time "restoring" one of these cars. Restore a classic instead.

I've spent countless hours and nights working alone in a cold garage without electricity, in the middle of nowhere and yet I don't regret one minute of it. I just had a really strong motivation and patience, plus I also had a lot of knowledge about these cars which made it much easier, but to start from scratch, I think it's not worth it. You know you'll want to drive the thing each day you take a look at it.... so instead of dumping all the money you have on a hunk of metal which will sit in a backyard for months or even years, save that money and put it towards a nice, running car when the time comes.

My $0.02

Last edited by madwolf; 12-05-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:31 AM

Alright,
93 Z28 for just $1,900, damn... Insanely I've seen a totaled Z28 for $5,000 (and yes it still sits there to)...
But yea I am beggining to think that this car is just a tad to new to restore, especially on a limited budget...
I guess I'll wait...
however I'm still taking in suggestions and oppinions by all means

thanks all
Old 12-06-2003, 10:44 AM

Check this out...

I know this is going against my previous post and such but I saw this....

http://www.tricountyauto.com/car.php?ID=113

(ALOT of great F-bodies on that site... found a 97 T/A for just $7,700... GOD I wish I had some money..

Based on the description and price do you think it would be worth repairing that car?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:15 PM

I wouldn't especially since it has front end damage, who's to say the frame wasnt bent by whatever caused the damage. Just go for old school if you want to restore something.

Myles
Old 12-06-2003, 05:37 PM

Alright, I'll stick to just buying a Camaro, increasingly for me its harder to find em, most dealers won't even finance em for a reasonable price / downpayment ... like a 97 V6 sixspeed with 120K miles on it, still 12K and $2,000 down ... dream on dealer man... (and yes, that car to is still sitting on the lot...) I'll keep looking...

thanks all for your help...
Old 12-06-2003, 07:22 PM

V6 sixspeed? I'm assuming thats a typo

Quick Reply: Junkyard Rebiuld, Is it worth it???