LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is it on its way out????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 PM

Is it on its way out????

I know this isnt a lt1 question but I know I will get some better responses if i put it in this forum and its kind of an emergency so I apologize ahead of time. I have the car thats in my signature. I was driving today and my car was running fine and my transmission was shifting fine no problems. I have a shift kit in the car so the car usually shifts real fast and hard especially from 1st to 2nd. Well jsut all the sudden it started shifting real slow. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd it like hesitates and is kinda like a 2 step shift, it kinda revs funny and then shifts. 2nd to 3rd and such arent as bad, they seem to shift slower too but not quite as bad. The car pulls good still but its just on the shift. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on?? I did a search in the drive-train section but didnt really find anything. Any info is appreciated, thanks, Dustin.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 PM

Re: Is it on its way out????

I think that is a leaky valve body. It holds the presure to push it into gear. You wont see the leak its internal. Which means a rebuild. I wouldnt change it until it stops shifting or buy a spare one now for when that one goes. But it could be a while before it goes. Have you checked the color of the fluid and level?

Or I could be wrong.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:45 PM

Re: Is it on its way out????

I checked the fluid today and it seemed to be low, it was showing at the very bottom of the dipstick, I dont think it was low enough to cause problems in the tranny. We put about 2 quarts in to make sure it was good and full and then i took it for another drive. Still didnt help. The fluid to me looked a little brown maybe a little burnt. I was suprised at this bc there is only about 2500 miles on that fluid. But it just happend all of the sudden like it got pissed at me or something and decided not to shift hard anymore. I am confused. My friend has a tranny in his barn with only 10,000 miles and just needs a new pump, but dang I wont have my shift kit anymore.