LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

It's over

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 04:27 PM

Unhappy It's over

Well I had mentioned earlier how my cold air intake sucked up the water. I got the car towed to my mechanic. He cleaned out the plugs and everything and said loads of water was pouring out. He also said that it caused major damage to the crankshaft and now the only thing to do is replace the engine which I don't want to do for 2 reasons.

1) I can't afford it.
2) If it's a used engine, there's no guarantee how well it will work after it's installed.

This really just sucks. My luck really can't get much worse. This year I've almost been shot, had one car stolen, bought the camaro and it got wrecked 3 weeks after buying, I got it fixed last week after it sat for 8 months and now this. In the 8 months that I've owned this car, I've drive in it a total of 4 1/2 weeks and put less than a 1000 miles on it.

So now I'm thinking that camaros are still in high demand. Maybe I can just sell it. Maybe some enthusiast has an engine and is just looking for a body. It's in great condition and good paint. Although it doesn't matter anymore but the engine only has less than 60k miles on it. Maybe I can sell it for a good price.

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 10-11-2003, 04:40 PM

How much money do you have to spend? Seeing that a used motor and tranny can be purchased for arouund $1200 a new motor should be able to be purchased for less than a grand. Like youve already stated, theres no guarantee on it, but if its low milage it ought to be pretty good and may be your best bet.

If that is not an option, you can either sell the car or part it out. You can make some of your money back, and possibly just drive something else until you can afford to purchase another F-body.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes man. Dont get too down, when all is said and done it's just a car and can be replaced.

EDIT - after doing a search I saw that your car is a V6. The prices I quoted for getting a new motor apply to LT1 V8s. You can replace the 3.8 in your Camaro for even less. I konw a local guy who did it for $500. Good luck.

Last edited by Steve0; 10-11-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Banned

can't you just replace the broken internals?
would be cheaper i would think
Old 10-11-2003, 04:59 PM

Well my mechanic said you might be able to just replace the crankshaft with a refurbished one but he said that in his experience it hasn't lasted very long.

He said to replace the entire engine (including engine and labor, I guess) would be around $2000. I don't know how accurate that is. Maybe it can be done for less.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:07 PM

I'm curious as to how you got that much water sucked up your CAI. I just want to prevent that from happening to myself.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:12 PM

It was raining like crazy here in Houston on Thursday. And if you know Houston, you know that their drainage systems is hardly famous for its efficiency. There was knee-high flooding in so many places.

I guess it's my own stupidity but I didn't even know I had a CAI until this happened. When I bought the car, I didn't look to check for that. And since I bought it I hardly driven it.

I had been driving through quite a few puddles and was making it through just fine. On this final body of water the it just died before it even made it through. So it was probably sucking water up all day and finally called it quits.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:01 PM

just replace the engine...

i blew an engine when i ran n2o... and i just replaced it... u loose BIG money when u sell a car with no engine... like 1200-1500 for a GOOD LT1, and i had my friend's dad put in the engine for 500 bux
Old 10-11-2003, 06:08 PM

Unhappy

If the Cylinders tried to compress water "Hydraulic" your going to need more then just a crank, Rods bend first Might as well go for the used or rebuild yours.

John
Gator Transmission
Old 10-11-2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Throttle Freak
It was raining like crazy here in Houston on Thursday.........
I guess total submersion is not recommended. It's not good for the opti either. I'm sorry this happened to you. I will definitely park my car if the water is deep and walk. I hope you get it fixed. Now's a good time to consider a crate engine like a 383 stroker LT1.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:36 PM

You can get a new crank for $200...hardened pushrods for $40 and bearings for $80 or so. New rings would run you $120 . Gaskets and fluids $120. If your able to do the work yourself its gonna cost ya about $500 to fix it ...otherwise $2000 is about right.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:53 PM

A lot of my friends and family members are recommending that I use this opportunity to upgrade the engine. They're saying get a vette engine. While that would be sweet, I dont' think I'll be able to afford it. Just out of curiousity how much would a Z28 or an SS engine cost??
Old 10-11-2003, 08:02 PM

Smile

In your case a LT1 is a LT1, unless their talking about a LT4, ( and that was only in 1996 ) now that's a diff animal, vette's are more exhaust diff other then that VERY little diff

John
Gator Transmission
Old 10-11-2003, 08:18 PM

Go to this link. You can get a whole motor re-man for $1500.
You want VIN code P. Make sure it has aluminum heads not iron.

http://www.chevy-350-engines.com/che...html?catid=111
Old 10-11-2003, 08:32 PM

If you are going to swap your V6 for an LT1, you are in for a lot of work-especially hard if you are not quite proficient in working on cars.

There has been more than one person that had their engine full of water that pumped all the water out of the cylinders, changed the oil, dried it out and fired it back up. What have you got to lose?
Old 10-11-2003, 08:36 PM

Where do you live??? Cause i am looking for somebody in your exact situation..................i totalled my car but its totalled because of bodywork....................i have been looking for somebody with a blown engine so i can by the car (if the body is in good shape) and drop my tranny and engine in it.... i am in austin texas, if you are anywhere near maybe i can take your camaro off your hands.......................PM me if you want to. Or send me an email CC1300@Txstate.edu Later.

Chris