LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Installing a vacuum gauge need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:12 PM

Installing a vacuum gauge need help

Hey guys i just got a 2 in autometer vacuum gauge, (pics in sig) i was wondering how to install the vacuum line, what type of hose do i need ?(size) also , i searched and shoebox said in a post it was alright to run it to a egr line. but im not sure which one to run it to , also what kind of fittings do i need to buy to install it? hose t fittings and splice it to the vacuum line and secure with hose clamps?? also is there a good place to run throught the fire wall? or should i drill a hole and silicone it up? any help would be much appreciated . thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 08:37 PM

A small piece of vacuum hose and a vacuum tee should do it. Maybe your gauge came with some vacuum hose.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
A small piece of vacuum hose and a vacuum tee should do it. Maybe your gauge came with some vacuum hose.
nope i bought it used!, what is a vacuum tee? just like a hose T with a compression fitting on the middle one and hose lines from the sides? also what kind of hose? just rubber tubing? like the clear stuff?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:45 PM

Here is what I'm doing

I'm adding an Autometer boost/vacuum gauge to the A-pillar. Since there is not enough tubing to run through the passenger side hole, I drilled a 5/16" hole under the clutch slave cylinder. That way, I dodn't have to pull up the mat and it was pretty easy to stick a rubber grommet in the hole. It looks like I'll have enogh tubing to go about half way up the motor. I'm also running a wire for a temp sensor through this same hole.

I can't help you w/ where to attach as my motor is still on the stand!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by JJJ93z
nope i bought it used!, what is a vacuum tee? just like a hose T with a compression fitting on the middle one and hose lines from the sides? also what kind of hose? just rubber tubing? like the clear stuff?
Just black rubber vacuum hose. Take your gauge and maybe the fitting out of the side of the intake to match some hose to it.
A vacuum tee is just usually a piece of plastic or can be made of metal. No clamps or compression fittings. The hose just slips on with a friction fit as do the hoses on the manifold.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:59 PM

Just black rubber vacuum hose. Take your gauge and maybe the fitting out of the side of the intake to match some hose to it.
A vacuum tee is just usually a piece of plastic or can be made of metal. No clamps or compression fittings. The hose just slips on with a friction fit as do the hoses on the manifold.
thanks for all the help guys , shoe box which line should i splice into? http://shbox.com/1/EGR_flow.jpg again thanks for all the help
Old 03-27-2004, 09:10 PM

There should be some small vacuum lines coming off the driver side of the manifold near the hose for the power brake booster. Just splice into one of these wires.

In the area labeled vacuum feed in this pic.

http://shbox.com/1/egr1.jpg

BTW, I wouldn't use a plastic line for that gauge, the one on my boost gauge cracked somewhere and made my gauge read funny. Autometer makes a copper tubing specifically for these types of gauges for ~ $10 bucks. I would invest in this tubing so you don't have to worry about fixing the plastic stuff later.

Last edited by 97WS6SCharged; 03-27-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:29 PM

thanks for all the help guys , shoe box which line should i splice into? http://shbox.com/1/EGR_flow.jpg again thanks for all the help
Maybe you put the wrong link in there? One of these small lines will do.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:36 AM

Maybe you put the wrong link in there? One of these small lines will do.
how bout the egr solnoid or the one to the optispark?
Old 03-28-2004, 12:08 PM

I think the EGR is what Shoebox was talking about- based on his pic, I'm going to use the EGR line (I'm blocking EGR anyway) off the intake. Be sure not to use the part past a check valve (the blue valve in the Opti line).
Old 03-28-2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Live for TAs
I think the EGR is what Shoebox was talking about- based on his pic, I'm going to use the EGR line (I'm blocking EGR anyway) off the intake. Be sure not to use the part past a check valve (the blue valve in the Opti line).
so i should use the opti line? also when u mean dont use the part past the check valve do u mean do not put a t fitting on the side closest to the intake or the side that comes from the opti to the check valve? thanks
Old 03-28-2004, 01:12 PM

so I should use the opti line? Also when you mean don't use the part past the check valve do you mean do not put a T fitting on the side closest to the intake or the side that comes from the opti to the check valve? Thanks
I would use the EGR line since it does not have a check valve. You do not want to put a fitting in after a check valve, or your gauge may not work properly. The line with the check valve in the picture would need to be cut between the intake and the check valve (the side closest to the intake), which does not leave much room for a T fitting, so in this example, the EGR line is the better choice.

A check valve is a device that only lets air or fluid flow one way. If it is closed under vacuum and you tap the line beyond the valve, your vacuum gauge would not work at all.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:18 PM

I think i am going to have to go with the egr line, i just took pics they are on the site in my sig, under camaro folder. i cant even find the opti line. the egr line is so tiny though. could u estimate about what size line that is? can i put vacuum line & a t fitting that small at autozone? or shoud i go to menards or lowes?

thanks for all the help
Old 03-28-2004, 02:14 PM

Just measured both Opti & EGR vac lines, a 3/16" T will fit into them. I think any auto parts store should have something like this for under $1. I don't know about Lowes- more home/hardware oriented. Also be aware that there is a long plastic tube the rubber EGR vacuum hose slides over at the intake fitting for the EGR. Make sure you cut the rubber hose past that tube.

EDIT- Just looked at your website & realized your car is a 1993. Mine is a 1995 & so is the one on Shoebox's site. I know the Opti was changed (vented) in 1995, but am not sure about the vacuum hookup. Your car used a different control system (speed density) than the 94-up (MAF), so maybe there is a difference there also.

Last edited by Live for TAs; 03-28-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:34 PM

You are making something that is very simple so hard .

Quick Reply: Installing a vacuum gauge need help