LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Injector

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Banned

Injector

I bought a set of accel injectors but after putting them on I noticed the retainer clip slot on the accels don't line up with that factory ones. Anyone use these before and found a solution?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:55 AM

Re: Injector

There are two options here but I would recommend #2.

#1.) Don't use the clips. They are only there to keep the injectors from falling out of the rail when you remove it. I haven't had injector clips for a LONG time. Just be aware when you go to remove the rail.

#2.) DON'T USE THE ACCELS. There's a reason they are the cheapest of the bunch. Nothing Accel makes has been shown to provide any sort of longevity or performance on an LT1.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
There are two options here but I would recommend #2.

#1.) Don't use the clips. They are only there to keep the injectors from falling out of the rail when you remove it. I haven't had injector clips for a LONG time. Just be aware when you go to remove the rail.

#2.) DON'T USE THE ACCELS. There's a reason they are the cheapest of the bunch. Nothing Accel makes has been shown to provide any sort of longevity or performance on an LT1.
Injectors 'not lining up' = no big deal; the fuel rail will keep them in place. But Accel injectors? Damn.....no way would I use those puppies.

Find some used SVOs and have them refurbished. It'll cost you more, but it's a much better way to go !

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 04-14-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

I know there was issues with accel #24s few years ago but the newer ones are made by bosh to my knowledge. The price was about the same as trick flow, Delphi and venom was a little more. I never had issues with accel and I hope it continues. However I did find it odd that they came in a F.A.S.T. box.

Last edited by Shangrila; 04-14-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shangrila
I know there was issues with accel #24s few years ago but the newer ones are made by bosh to my knowledge.......
That's funny......because I wouldn't use Bosch, either .....

Best of luck!!

KW
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
That's funny......because I wouldn't use Bosch, either .....

Best of luck!!

KW
Rofl, bosh makes svos also. I also made a mistake because these are not accel they are fast, that would explain the box =).

Last edited by Shangrila; 04-15-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 AM

As stated before Accel injectors are not that reliable and probably the cheapest out there. But if you are going to stay with them, then I recc to mod the injectors by cutting the grove around the entire injector to allow for the clips to hold the injector into the rail. I'm dealing with the same issue now with a set of LS1 style injectors and they are leaking at the rail due to the fact they keep getting pushed further into the intake side. Don't trust on just the rail holding them down as that's what I did and I'm getting leaking on almost all injector seats at the rail. I have a set of rail clips coming in (couldn't find my old ones) and I've modified my injectors so we'll see in a few days.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM

Rofl, bosh makes svos also......
True.....but Bosch made the SVOs to Ford's specifications.

By your logic.....just by the fact that Bosch made Bosch, Accel and SVOs injectors, they should be the same quality. But.....they're not; different manufacturing specs.

That's one of the reasons why SVOs have a reputation for high quality.....and Accels have a reputation for engine fires......and Bosch has a reputation for just being......'OK'.

KW
Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE00
......I'm dealing with the same issue now with a set of LS1 style injectors and they are leaking at the rail due to the fact they keep getting pushed further into the intake side. Don't trust on just the rail holding them down.......
IIRC, the LS1 injectors are almost 1/4" shorter than the LT1 injectors.

Yes? No?

Just seem to recall that I saw a pic of a side-by-side with the two styles.

KW
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM

IIRC, the LS1 injectors are almost 1/4" shorter than the LT1 injectors.

Yes? No?

Just seem to recall that I saw a pic of a side-by-side with the two styles.

KW
Yup, they are just a tad shorter about 1/8 inch not 1/4. Here is a thread showing the exact size side by side, and this guy had my same issue. As long as you fully seat them in the rail and then use the clips to keep them in place they won't leak as the pressure is mainly on the Rail side of the injector. The problem is when they seat further into the intake they can possibly leak as the pressure on the rail side pushes past the injector o-ring.

Need injector fitment help quick - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

photo201_zps0824adad.jpg?t=1366051760
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned

As stated before Accel injectors are not that reliable and probably the cheapest out there. But if you are going to stay with them, then I recc to mod the injectors by cutting the grove around the entire injector to allow for the clips to hold the injector into the rail. I'm dealing with the same issue now with a set of LS1 style injectors and they are leaking at the rail due to the fact they keep getting pushed further into the intake side. Don't trust on just the rail holding them down as that's what I did and I'm getting leaking on almost all injector seats at the rail. I have a set of rail clips coming in (couldn't find my old ones) and I've modified my injectors so we'll see in a few days.
Thanks for the heads up I will have to keep a close eye on them. I made a mistake, not sure why I was thinking accel, maybe because I got a fuel preasure regulator that accel but the injectors are FAST and the car is running really nice atm. Today was its first fire up. Loving the sound.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Banned

True.....but Bosch made the SVOs to Ford's specifications.

By your logic.....just by the fact that Bosch made Bosch, Accel and SVOs injectors, they should be the same quality. But.....they're not; different manufacturing specs.

That's one of the reasons why SVOs have a reputation for high quality.....and Accels have a reputation for engine fires......and Bosch has a reputation for just being......'OK'.

KW
Granted svos are good but I think their popularity is in part due to the fact that a (for example)#24 injector is rated at 39psi by Ford but when you put it into a Chevy with 43psi you get a lot more bang for your buck. I made a mistake though, my injectors are FAST not Accel.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Yup, they are just a tad shorter about 1/8 inch not 1/4......
OK.....that's really a lot less of a difference.

...... As long as you fully seat them in the rail and then use the clips to keep them in place they won't leak as the pressure is mainly on the Rail side of the injector. The problem is when they seat further into the intake they can possibly leak as the pressure on the rail side pushes past the injector o-ring.......
OK.....understood!

Thanks !

KW
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 AM

......I made a mistake though, my injectors are FAST not Accel.
No idea about F.A.ST. injectors.....hope it all works out for ya !

KW
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM

No idea about F.A.ST. injectors.....hope it all works out for ya !

KW
Mine are F.A.S.T. 42's and they work great, just need to get them clipped into the rail. They are made by Delphi and are actually the LS style - Bosch III design style and atomize/spray much more efficiently. Here is a good video showing the comparison of the different brands and styles.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=2773& transactionid=1366130489-7514812861&posted_by=DAVE00_www.camaroz28.com&yout ube_video_id=7oTirEZNRw8[/autostream]

Quick Reply: Injector