LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Impala Caprice Longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 03:35 PM

Impala Caprice Longtubes

Does anyone know of a company that makes longtubes for LT1 Impala/Caprices? (What GM body are Impalas and Caprices?) I'm kinda interested in turning a Caprice into a super sleeper because Caprices are dirt cheap in my area. I'd do 6spd conversion, 383 built up, all crazy stuff. But yea, any LTs for Caprices out there? Also when did GM start putting LT1s in these cars?

Last edited by SantaCruz163; 01-14-2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:04 PM

anyone know?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:25 PM

put the lt1 in it in 94. Go to impalassforum.com

It's the camaroz28.com of B-bodies.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:35 PM

www.clearimageautomotive.com
From there you'll find it. It is agreed that these guys make the best quality headers out there for the Impala/Caprice hands down. For both performance and fit and finish. These literally slide in compared to other headers. They have both Tri-y and Quad-1 designs available. The Tri-ys are hailed as the all around street performer, and the Quads for more track use and high rpm horsepower. They aren't cheap, about $1200 either model with extensions with high flow cats, but well worth the price. Hope this helps. Dan is the owner and he is great to work with!
Don
Old 01-15-2004, 05:06 PM

if you're going to use a caprice, do what my friend is doing for headers. Buy the FlowTech Afterburner headers. you can get them from summit for $135 and they're Tri-Y long tubes that have proven 20whp gain on a stock engine. with headers, intake, exhaust, pcm tuning you can easily get into the 13's. put a little n2o, and you're in 12's
Old 01-15-2004, 05:12 PM

Check out www.thunderracing.com They have flp long tubes for impys and caprices. There are other brands but you should check out the impalass forum. Lots of info on that site
Old 01-15-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Fux0redImages
if you're going to use a caprice, do what my friend is doing for headers. Buy the FlowTech Afterburner headers. you can get them from summit for $135 and they're Tri-Y long tubes that have proven 20whp gain on a stock engine. with headers, intake, exhaust, pcm tuning you can easily get into the 13's. put a little n2o, and you're in 12's
Ya but they suck to install and will most likely break the AC line.

I have the Tri-Y headers from clear image. Very high quality and were the easiest headers I have ever installed. A little pricey but they are some of the best on the markets

And the Quad-1s are bascially reproduction Grots
Old 01-15-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Fux0redImages
I agree with the above post...if your going to get a Caprice you might as well get some AB's. I would go with the coated ones from Summit for $249 part # 149001-1...or go with the Jet Hot's for around $350...

If your careful and move the A/C lines away from the primaries it should be fine, plus the coating should help with extreme temps. Fitment varies from car to car...but I've installed some that went in fine and some that you had to beat on a little to fit...

I just can't see anyone paying $1200 for a set of headers to go in a caprice.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:06 PM

Yeah...$1200 for headers is nuts to spend on a Caprice, I thought it was nuts to spend on my Impala. Despite reading numerous threads on the impala ss forum about pain in the *** installs with other headers, I was gonna go the cheapo route. Until I helped a friend put Afterburners on his car. That was no bolt on. I know every car is a little different, but we were hammering, shoving, screaming and swearing for hours. The passenger side was the b_tch. After that episode I just decided to get the tri-ys. They slid right in, in a little under 3 hours. Not to mention for the $1200 you're also getting a special coating that holds in heat and protects against corrosion. I live in Chicago and after a winter of salt these puppies still look brand new. Not to mention the engine compartment is cooler than before. In addition you get the high flow cats with all you need to bolt everything up. A lot of people on the Impala forum wish they had gotten the tri-ys first rather than spending their money on something else and then getting the tri-ys/quad 1s anyway. I'm glad I got them first.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Cory_SS
I agree with the above post...if your going to get a Caprice you might as well get some AB's. I would go with the coated ones from Summit for $249 part # 149001-1...or go with the Jet Hot's for around $350...

If your careful and move the A/C lines away from the primaries it should be fine, plus the coating should help with extreme temps. Fitment varies from car to car...but I've installed some that went in fine and some that you had to beat on a little to fit...

I just can't see anyone paying $1200 for a set of headers to go in a caprice.
I agree too. I just couldnt see paying that much for hedders. I got the Hedman shorties that fit up to 91 models for $255 at Jegs. I did my entire exhaust for about $700. Hedman now makes a longtube that Im gonna get when I bagg it because Im too low right now.