LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Im dont think im gettin this stick shift stuff right!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:49 AM

Im dont think im gettin this stick shift stuff right!

Ive have had the new swap in the car for close to a year now, and for some reason i keep on having a problem that nobody can solve.

I pop it into first gear and let teh clutch out SLLLLOOOOWWWWLLLYYY and the car begins to shake. when the clutch catches and the car begins to roll, i give it gas and the car bogs...after it bogs it catches its breath so to speak, and begins to move. it really feels like teh car is about to bog out and turn off...

in other words...and rpms drop and if it werent the fact that im gassing the **** outta the car...it wouldnt move until it wakes up!
Old 05-22-2006, 09:37 AM

Re: Im dont think im gettin this stick shift stuff right!

What clutch?
Mods on motor?
Age/condition of rearend?

The cars I have driven (and mine) with heavy clutches will shake like a SOB if you let them out slow. Adding a big cam will make it worse. I don't really slip the clutch in mine anymore, just kinda pop it from a dead stop.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 AM

maybe its a problem with your bottom end? when was the last time you changed the plugs? fuel injectors etc?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jsetzer
What clutch?
Mods on motor?

The cars I have driven (and mine) with heavy clutches will shake like a SOB if you let them out slow. Adding a big cam will make it worse. I don't really slip the clutch in mine anymore, just kinda pop it from a dead stop.
Yeah, with a stiff clutch you gotta rev it up and just dump it.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:43 AM

agreed with what others have said. and make sure you dont have the parking brake set or something stupid like that
Old 05-22-2006, 10:54 AM

Did you change your computer tune to a standard tune vs your original automatic tune? I think there might be some parameters that are different between the two, so maybe thats affecting your off idle drivability and making it harder to drive then it should be. Just a thought.

Ken R.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jsetzer
What clutch?
Mods on motor?

clutch? ram clutch
mods on motor? not much. full intake/ full exhaust-long tube headers/ 255 walbro fuel pump/ rear end is off a 96 fbody 3.42's/ computer and tuning is all obd1. i have some adjustments on the computer for knock sensor and some other things, i forget now...but its mildy tuned...just enough for the swap.

as for the bottom end...i havent cleaned my injectors in a while, and it may not be that problem. the spark plugs and wires are taylor 8.5's and they are recent.

the clutch is kinda stiff but i dont think its anything different from stock...i could be wrong.

only thing is...i may have to check the parameters on the computer....
Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by roguedriver
Did you change your computer tune to a standard tune vs your original automatic tune? I think there might be some parameters that are different between the two, so maybe thats affecting your off idle drivability and making it harder to drive then it should be. Just a thought.

Ken R.
I agree with Ken here, if you didn't increase the idle speed then that is definitly your problem, most M6 guys idle around 900 RPM's and the A4 computer's set idle closer to 550. Remeber an auto has the converter that stalls to ~1800 rmps stock so it can idle lower. This would cause your problem, increase the idle speed and it should be good...