LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

iat relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:57 PM

iat relocation?

i think this is the last free mod i can do! so my ? is where to put it? and do i have to buy longer wires?
do i put it as close to the k&n as possible?
it looks to me that the stock wires can be run around to be made long enough to get a few inches from the filter! do u think it is possible? well thanks in advance and all suggestions will be helpful
Old 09-06-2004, 08:30 PM

Re: iat relocation?

Just my own personal experience. A friend and I tried this one night at the track and we ran slower. Just my .02
Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 PM

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...54&prmenbr=361

Old 09-06-2004, 09:25 PM

this mod is not even worth it IMO
Old 09-07-2004, 10:22 AM

TTT then y do people do it? i kno wit is no ta noticeable gain but it has to help a lil right? please answer!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by blazer_4.3
TTT then y do people do it? i kno wit is no ta noticeable gain but it has to help a lil right? please answer!
I would imagine it could nothing but help. Where the sensor is in its stock location it gets very very hot being right over the engine and coooolant hoses. I moved mine down into my CAI pipe about 1ft over. Keeps alot cooler to give more accurate readings. Felt like it ran a little smoother but it was all probably in my head. I just extended the wires myself.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:40 PM

It's well worth it. The sensor in the stock location just gets heat soaked.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:48 PM

Having looked at programming tables on a MAF engine, I truthfully cannot figure out what real effect the IAT has. Unless I missed some, I find no tables regarding the IAT. In the past, I have read that the PCM uses the MAF to calculate air temp. So, I have no real proof that altering the IAT readings does anything at all. Maybe there is some truthful info out there, somewhere. I would personally need more info/understanding before I bothered to change anything. A lot of lemmings have jumped off the f-body cliff.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Having looked at programming tables on a MAF engine, I truthfully cannot figure out what real effect the IAT has. Unless I missed some, I find no tables regarding the IAT. In the past, I have read that the PCM uses the MAF to calculate air temp. So, I have no real proof that altering the IAT readings does anything at all. Maybe there is some truthful info out there, somewhere. I would personally need more info/understanding before I bothered to change anything. A lot of lemmings have jumped off the f-body cliff.
I've seen (and am sure you have too) a bunch of posts with people having some pretty bad stumbles relating to their IAT gone bad (reporting -40 degrees). So i'm sure it does something, I'm hoping to get tuner CATS soon to look at the tables as well... Also, just because its not in a tuning program doesnt mean its not in the computer, it might not have been mapped yet (unless they claim all variables in the computer are available).

I'd agree that relocating it would probably help, if you've ever watched a scanner while in traffic you'll see it shoot WAY up. Perhaps its in my head but i swear i notice a difference lol. It would probably wake the car up a tad after sitting in one spot for a while and the air really isn't as warm as the sensor is reporting.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:02 PM

It will help, mostly in the summertime sitting in traffic. Mine heated up to 145* sitting in traffic. If you do it you can't change the resistance in the curciut, because the iat is a resistance sensor like a coolant temp. sensor. Make sure that you use the same guage wire when running wires to the airfilter or whatever.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by toby360
I've seen (and am sure you have too) a bunch of posts with people having some pretty bad stumbles relating to their IAT gone bad (reporting -40 degrees). So i'm sure it does something, I'm hoping to get tuner CATS soon to look at the tables as well... Also, just because its not in a tuning program doesnt mean its not in the computer, it might not have been mapped yet (unless they claim all variables in the computer are available).

I'd agree that relocating it would probably help, if you've ever watched a scanner while in traffic you'll see it shoot WAY up. Perhaps its in my head but i swear i notice a difference lol. It would probably wake the car up a tad after sitting in one spot for a while and the air really isn't as warm as the sensor is reporting.
Actually no, I have not seen a lot of faulty IAT posts. PCM coolant temp sensor, yes.

All I was saying was I had not seen any proof of what it does. I did not claim it did nothing. I also have not seen any data on how it helps to relocate it, either. Again, not saying relocating does nothing. Just no data for me to tell either way.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 PM

I thought the pcm uses the IAT value when determining air fuel mix. When the IAT reads high temps. the pcm pulls alittle fuel due to less dense air when its hot outside. When the IAT reads coldier temps it adds fuel because of the denser ambient air? I could be wrong tough maybe madwolf can tell if the IAT value is even a factor in programming, I'm guessing it does.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:29 PM

I bypassed my IAT with a 4.7k resistor. Just unplug the sensor and plug the resistor right into the connector and wrap it with electrical tape. It has been beneficial for me. It solved an intermittent vibration problem I was having. I cant claim that I got any horsepower out of it but it certainly didnt hurt. I know my car runs smoother with it bypassed.

Last edited by VegasZ; 09-07-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 97ta9
... I'm guessing it does.
That's just it. I am not into guessing.

I desire facts, not someone's version of the facts.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:15 AM

Warm the engine up...
Try looking at the Injector PW and MAF table, plug the IAT hole, then put the IAT right against a hot coolant tube. That should heat it up significantly. Make note of this point in some logs.
Then do the same thing but put a plastic bag around it and submerse it in some cold water... Make not of this point in the logs too.

Throw it into excel and compare the two sections, if the MAF G/s is the same and the PW have changed noticably we know that it should be due to the temp sensor since thats the only variable thats changed.

I'm curious as to how much it affects it all. Theoretically, if there was a change we could ballpark the equation it applies at that RPM...

Maybe i'll do this with freescan when i have a bit of time

Quick Reply: iat relocation?