LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I need someone that is smart on cooling, intresting story

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:09 PM

I need someone that is smart on cooling, intresting story

Im really freakin tired of reving my motor to 3 grand just to make it go from the red to 185-210 heat gauge. I bought that fan switch and it did crap even though my car ran good again for a week or two. I installed the fan last night drove the car to work in the morning and ran good. Went home and after 10-20 ride bam it climbed from 200 to the 255- 260 and had the freakin fans on high blast and didn't do a thing. So I revved it to 2 grand and it shot down to 245 then I reved it higher and it went down and once I had it to 3 grand it stayed to 190 then once I let go at the gas it went straight to the red. Is that really the headgasket? I checked and no signs of headgasket I think its either the waterpump or the thermostat. What signs could this be guys. I don't really have money no to have it checked and seems that no one is smart on the LT's becuase there fussy motors or they can run mint. Watch I will drive it later and it wont over heat. Can anyone see if it maybe the PCM or the needle on the guage? I did sensors, coolant, fan switch, beedling,no leaks, 2 new hoses, new coolant caps. If you guys can't help me then I will just get rapped at the dealership. Or sell this car. Problem has been happening on and off for a long time. I really have no time to check if its the shaft on the waterpump. But what would make the coolant drop temps so far down when the high you rev it or when you dont put it in overdrive.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 PM

It's the water pump.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Air in the system, try bleeding it again for find someone that knows how to do it to help you out.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Check list:
1) Thermostat
My car used to something very similar to what you are describing it was this^.
It does NOT matter if it is new or not. New ones still go bad. REPLACE OR RETURN FOR A NEW ONE
2) Water pump
If it is leaking or going bad this will let air into your system or will leak out pressure so when you cool down it will not pull coolant from the reservour.
3) Radiator
Drain out the cooling system, check to see if your radiator is full of sludge.
If it is the get it flushed.
Which anti-freeze are you using? Green or Red? It has to be one or the other. DO NOT MIX THE TWO or you will clog the entire cooling system.
Did you see if there is anything blocking the front of the AC condensor?
Bags? cardboard? also check between the condensor and radiator
Over time dirt and debris will get caught in the fins and cause your car to run real hot.
Cleaning procedure:
Drain system
Take out the radiator and flush out the fins using simple green with a hose and nozzle. Spray from the fans side out. Do the same with the AC condensor. You will be shocked how much stuff comes out.
Blow both clean with compressed air.(make sure you are at least 12" away or you will bend the fins.
4) Air Dam
Is it attatched?
5)Cooling system
Is it using coolant? Does the cooolant smell like gas or exhaust?
If so then it could be a head gasket starting to go.
When a head gasket goes bad it can go 3 places, in the oil (it will look like a milkshake Strawberry if you have the dex cool or chocolate if you have the green), into the cylinders and out the exhaust or into the cooling system itself and caus it to run hot, or it will start to leak between the head and block and you will see the leak on the ground.

Drain and refill procedure that I use.
Open up both bleeder screws and slowly fill. It will rise and fall as you are filling. Keep an eye on the bleeders when you see coolant leak out of the one closest to the thermostat housing close it off. When the system will take no more coolant close off the other.
Start the car with the pressure cap off. Also use a wide mouthed funnel that fits in the radiator hole. this will reduce the spillagage and have a small reserve above the radiator itself. Let it idle to its warm up. Keep an eye on the gauge to make sure it does not over heat. Do this till the fans kick on. You should see the coolant rise a little as it warms up.(this is normal) fill the coolant as needed.
Put the pressure cap on while it is running and shut off the car.
Let it cool off (at least 1/2 hour to an hour) and check the hoses for pressure and temp, if the hoses feel soft (no pressure) and cool then slowly take the cap off with a rag. be very carefull. If done too soon you can burn yourself
Fill the radiator if needed and start the car with no cap.
Note:
If you needed to add coolant when the car was off then you need to add more while it is running. Replace the cap and check the reservour to see if it needs any.
Take it for a ride and keep an eye on the gauge.
If it does not heat up then you have bled the system.
6) Steam pipe
Is it attatched or blocked off?
This part is very important on this motor!
Its located on the passenger side of the motor next to the valve cover above the intake.
Refer to shoe box site for the location if this sounds vauge.
I hope this helps
~Sam
Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Yet ANOTHER thread. How many does this make?

Water pump is bad or your cooling system is partially clogged.

Last edited by shoebox; 04-11-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by sam pace
... DO NOT MIX THE TWO or you will clog the entire cooling system.
I can't believe people are still posting this old myth. It's Dexcool's reaction to air that causes clogging.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:25 PM

So.... you are saying mixing dexcool and standard green anti freeze cannot cause problems?
Thats a myth?
I have seen different.
It does not matter which one he uses. Just do not mix the two.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Yeah, you can mix them all day long. It won't cause clogging.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Even if you can, I would not do it.
When I first bought my car it was mixed.
I had to pull the radiator and get it flushed by a radiator shop because of heavy sludge build up because of it being mixed. It happend to me and will never do it.
That's just me
Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Yeah, you can mix them all day long. It won't cause clogging.

Either the water pump, thermostat or a head gasket leak.

You have posted like 10 times with this problem, and you seem to have a really s#itty attitude towards the people that are trying to help you.
Nobody wants to hear your whinning or excuses for why you are so upset.

If you dont have the IQ to or time to check what people on here have already told you 20 times then pay some one to fix your damn car for you, I for one am tired of spending my FREE time on someone that wont listen.

Oh yeah, use the SEARCH button! Look for how to test a water pump and how to test your thermostate.

If those are fine then take it to a shop and have the coolant tested for exhaust gasses.

You sound like 3 year old crying about not wanting to go to bed.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM

this is the part that really gets me . . .

Originally Posted by 1997whitez28

I don't really have money . . . .

I really have no time to check if its the shaft on the waterpump.
you need to sell this car and buy a bicycle
Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 PM

97formulaguy

97formula I thought that the info I gave would help out and narrow things down.Your the one with the attitude crying about nothing. Sorry that you didn't get laid on a friday night. People like you need to keep your mouth and if I saw you and you said that I would smack you. Dude just read it and ignore it or give me some info and thats it. Thanks for replying and can you be a little nicer.What is your IQ? Sorry im not a car nut I want to but im busy running my business and at the same time running a second crew for my boss. I work everyday but sunday's sometimes and I work from 7AM to 5PM or 7PM and I dont have the energy or time to mess around. I'm a "hardworker" I don't like people like you with the way you express yourself. Sounds like when you don't have it your way you like to bitch and if none wants to hear you you keep it bottled up or let it out to other people because its makes you feel better.Cut the sh*t and everybody should help each other. Were not FORD guys or the ricer mentality.I only posted 3 or 4 things but they varied and they were things that I thought that would make it easier for you guys to help me.

To the guy that wrote all that stuff. That info is very helpful even the part that you take the radiator off and wash the fins. I gotta check that steam pipe.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1997whitez28
97formula I thought that the info I gave would help out and narrow things down.Your the one with the attitude crying about nothing. Sorry that you didn't get laid on a friday night. People like you need to keep your mouth and if I saw you and you said that I would smack you. Dude just read it and ignore it or give me some info and thats it. Thanks for replying and can you be a little nicer.What is your IQ? Sorry im not a car nut I want to but im busy running my business and at the same time running a second crew for my boss. I work everyday but sunday's sometimes and I work from 7AM to 5PM or 7PM and I dont have the energy or time to mess around. I'm a "hardworker" I don't like people like you with the way you express yourself. Sounds like when you don't have it your way you like to bitch and if none wants to hear you you keep it bottled up or let it out to other people because its makes you feel better.Cut the sh*t and everybody should help each other. Were not FORD guys or the ricer mentality.I only posted 3 or 4 things but they varied and they were things that I thought that would make it easier for you guys to help me.

To the guy that wrote all that stuff. That info is very helpful even the part that you take the radiator off and wash the fins. I gotta check that steam pipe.
Nobody wants to read all that bs man. We want to see you take the advise and use it, and report back, and then go from there in the same thread you create.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:02 AM

I helped a friend tonight that had the same problem.
Change the thermostat, its bad.
Reasons:
Only happens some of the time not all the time.
When it is stuck partially open you have to rev it to cool it down.
Sound familiar?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:49 AM

Thanks! Do I have to buy the seal also I notice Hypertech 160 thermostat at autozone and the other brands say they include a seal? Does the hypertech include the seal also?? How is the stant thermostats?

Quick Reply: I need someone that is smart on cooling, intresting story