LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

hp from tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 04:15 PM

hp from tune?

okay so my mods are in my signature, and the next item on my list is a madz28 tune. but i plan on probably running nitrous in the future and dont want to have to get a new tune. so i was wondering if he would give me a less aggresive tune due to me eventually running N20. how much more hp gain could i expect from a tune that would let me run nitrous also? any idea? also anyone have dyno numbers from just before and after a tune? thanks
andrew
Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Re: hp from tune?

Why not just contact Ion and tell him what you have and what you want to do? Can't beat 'straight from the horses mouth'.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:41 PM

You have a lot more reading to do, besides the fact your OBD1 makes tuneing CHEAP with free updates so why put off something you should have already done. It is just stupid to do a cam without tuning, you spent all that money and say this were carbed you did the equivalent of not rejetting the carb or resetting the timing.
As far as a juice or no juice tune. You should only need one tune then let the nitrous system handle the enrichment and an aftermarket ignition handle the spark retard.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:23 PM

you can have ion tune the pcm for nitrous, but you will be running on those low timing tunes all the time, even on motor. the best way to go is with a window switch and timing retard box.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:51 AM

I have the mods listed below with no tune... and I'm getting 10 degrees retard over 5k rpm... about Madz28 or whatever.. Isn't it more economical to get tuner cat or LT-1 edit and do it yourself?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:35 AM

Don't mess with the hand held stuff.

I don't really talk about my mods but I do have N20 going in and have a mad Z tune. With an automatic on his tune I can bark the tires at half throttle and thats stock internals and a 3.42 gear. I did not have him do anything for the spray because it would pull timing all the time, I have a MSD timing retard for that that will kick on when the solenoids kick on. Most good cams require tuning... I think Ion told me that on a stock or bolt on motor you would get at least 13rwhp. I felt it...
Old 05-14-2005, 02:02 AM

I don't understand why I couldn't just tune it myself.... I mean.. there is a forum where I could get help... and I don't see why I couldn't tune it as well Mad Z28?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by stephenspann27
I don't understand why I couldn't just tune it myself.... I mean.. there is a forum where I could get help... and I don't see why I couldn't tune it as well Mad Z28?
True, but it takes a lot more then just buying a program and typing in some numbers. You have to know what to change and were to change it at. Yes you can get some help on the board but your answer will be vague. You also need a good understanding on why an engine makes power and were it makes power compared to the mods that are done. The people that do mail-order tunes have extensive knowledge and experience w/ different types of set-ups and get a tune close to a dyno tune w/ data logging. Also to say that you could tune just as good as MadZ28 w/o backing it up w/ some credentials is pretty bold and a slap in face to MadZ28 because your not showing any respect towards his trade.

But you're right though....after a few years you could do a tune like these pros out here. I spent about two years researching EFI systems and getting a better understanding on engine power and how/were it comes from before I attempt my first tune on my own car last week. I had about a thousand dollars worth of dyno time, 20 pulls, for free through school and made 26hp and 25ft/lbs. The only way I was able to do that was with a lot of dyno time.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by stephenspann27
I have the mods listed below with no tune... and I'm getting 10 degrees retard over 5k rpm... about Madz28 or whatever.. Isn't it more economical to get tuner cat or LT-1 edit and do it yourself?
i paid bryan at pcmforless 75 for lifetime updates and do the loads myself. how much more economical do you need??

david
Old 05-14-2005, 11:18 AM

Ok, I guess it sounded that way, but I don't claim to have extensive PCM programming knowledge... was just trying to understand why people send their PCMs off when they could do it themselves. So.. you are supposed to just tell them what mods you have, and they make a guess. and program it for you? Seems like they would be at such a disadvantage because they can't see the values that you car has through out the RPM range.. I assume some ppl send them charts?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:36 AM

I have Tunercat(under $100) and LT1 Edit(came with a laptop) and I still use BH to do my major tuning and just do a little tinkering myself. I would not hesitate to use Ion either as I have had him do some other work for me and was rather pleased. Either will do OBD1 lifetime mailorder tuning for under $100, if shipping pcms around the price goes up some. With OBD2 the price goes up I think these two get $125-175 and all updates after the first 30 days or so are charged for but LT1 Edit for OBD2 cost like $500 and that is just for one car. So paying a prefessional to do it right is still the cheap way to go. Depending on your circumstances OBD1 swaps are a wonderful thing.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:46 PM

alright well to caprice im sure everyone could read more on LT1 parts and knownow but i have done my fair share, and have researched different tunes and costs. i also knew there was a big improvement with a tune after a cam. but do to being in college for engineering and having to spend the money on the parts inside the engine after my head gaskets went i out, i had zero money left over and knew i could just get a tune as soon as i could afford it. and whos to say i didnt just do these mods anyways? also i didnt have the down time with my car to ship the pcm, or the money to do a core swap,
and yes i did take a little offense to your comment.